Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

The track at Central Park was for stock car racing.

my memories of the game are of the queues to get in and missing the first twenty minutes because of them. It was a two nil victory and a turgid game on a grey day. Don’t think it was particularly wet though, as I don’t remember getting soaked and it wasn’t as if the ground offered much in the way of cover.

17 minutes ago, The African said:

The track at Central Park was for stock car racing.

my memories of the game are of the queues to get in and missing the first twenty minutes because of them. It was a two nil victory and a turgid game on a grey day. Don’t think it was particularly wet though, as I don’t remember getting soaked and it wasn’t as if the ground offered much in the way of cover.

You could be right, as I alluded to, my memory is pretty poor and it was 40+ years ago. My dad was from Leslie  near Kirkaldy and we headed  up to my Gran's every second or third weekend so my brother and I persuaded him to drop us in Cowdenbeath on route, then to come back for us at five o'clock, aged 12 and 15 an away game (unsupervised) was a big occasion so it sticks in the memory a bit more than a typical Saturday at F. P. 

Clackscat: I think there's still private messaging available. That was a well-run bus and I enjoyed travelling all over Scotland on it until I got hitched, hem, hem.

I remember us returning from our 1-0 victory in the cup over the Mutton Molesters in 75 or76 and leaving some poor bugger in Forfar after a toilet stop.

Happy days!

17 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Clackscat: I think there's still private messaging available. That was a well-run bus and I enjoyed travelling all over Scotland on it until I got hitched, hem, hem.

I remember us returning from our 1-0 victory in the cup over the Mutton Molesters in 75 or76 and leaving some poor bugger in Forfar after a toilet stop.

Happy days!

No it wisnae me that was left behind

Looks like the PNE fans are becoming a bit impatient and Louis seems be copping it a bit.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/06/do-criticised-by-preston-fans-louis-moult-shouldve-moved-to-rang/

Criticised by Preston fans, Louis Moult should have moved to Rangers instead

14 hours ago

Fans of Scottish Premiership giants Rangerswere desperate to see Moult at Ibrox - but he signed for Championship outfit Preston North End.

Preston North End's Louis Moult during the Sky Bet Championship match between Preston North End and Birmingham City at Deepdale on January 20, 2018 in Preston, England.

Is Louis Moult wrong for Preston or is Preston wrong for Louis Moult?

Just two months after the striker arrived at Deepdale from Motherwell for a cut price fee of £500,000, as reported by the BBC, it is worrying that such questions are already being asked.

Yes, Moult has a huge challenge on his hands replacing the goals and the presence provided Jordan Hugill, who moved to West Ham for £8 million on deadline day, and he has not been helped by the fact that Preston manager Alex Neil seems unwilling to adapt his style to suit his new centre-forward.

Alex Neil manager of Preston looks on during the pre season friendly match between Preston North End and Burnley at Deepdale on July 25, 2017 in Preston, England.

But patience among some supporters is already wearing thin. Moult scored eight goals in 13 league starts for Motherwell in the first half of the season but has not hit the net yet in six appearances for Preston.

He was an unused sub in the win away at Bolton on Saturday, a week after his ineffective display in the home defeat to Ipswich Town.

Louis Moult of Motherwell vies with Scott Brown of Celtic during the Ladbrokes Scottish Premiership match between Celtic and Motherwell at Celtic Park on December 2, 2017 in Glasgow,...

So fans of Rangers, who were desperate to see Moult move to Ibrox in the New Year, would be forgiven for asking whether the former Stoke City youngster would have been better off at Ibrox instead.

SEE ALSO: 'Totally disinterested'; Celtic fans want key player dropped for Rangers clash

He is a proven goalscorer in Scottish football after all and manager Graeme Murty, since taking charge in October, has shown an ability to adapt to his player’s strengths in order to get the best out of them.

If Moult is to succeed at Preston, however, he will be hoping Neil does the same.

Do Rangers just get mentioned over and over to increase that website's hit rate? I'm not aware of them ever putting in a bid or expressing an interest- it was all media talk saying he could do a job for them.

Hopefully Moult gets and takes another chance but if their style doesn't suit him then you have to wonder why they bought him.

I would imagine you'd expect a professional footballer to be able to adapt. Everything about Moult from his workrate to his ability would suggest he can and isn't already the proverbial square peg with no manoeuvre.

Preston's 2017 form hasn't continued since the new year and much like us after the Cup Final they are going through a period of malaise. It's evident as the hyped signing he hasn't achieved what was hoped but its safe to say that permeates through the whole team at present.

It's very easy to point the finger and find a boogey-man. Higdon misfired here for a few months and went on to succeed. 

2 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I would imagine you'd expect a professional footballer to be able to adapt. Everything about Moult from his workrate to his ability would suggest he can and isn't already the proverbial square peg with no manoeuvre.

Preston's 2017 form hasn't continued since the new year and much like us after the Cup Final they are going through a period of malaise. It's evident as the hyped signing he hasn't achieved what was hoped but its safe to say that permeates through the whole team at present.

It's very easy to point the finger and find a boogey-man. Higdon misfired here for a few months and went on to succeed. 

I watched the Preston game against Ipswich.  Preston were dire and created nothing. If that was the standard they have been playing at since January, it will take more than Moult to fix it.

Still, nothing like giving the new players time to settle, eh? Glad our fans would never be so quick to judge.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Preston are only one point out the playoffs now. Moult isn't getting a game because other players are scoring goals.

He got game time in Feb. Early Feb as a sub twice, and starting the last 2 games against Aston Villa and Ipswich.

February was not a good month for them, however - they played 5, won 1, drew 3 and lost 1. That would have been a good time for him to score.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

He got game time in Feb. Early Feb as a sub twice, and starting the last 2 games against Aston Villa and Ipswich.

February was not a good month for them, however - they played 5, won 1, drew 3 and lost 1. That would have been a good time for him to score.

I hope I’m wrong as I love the boy and he will always be a Motherwell legend. However, I have the fear that his time at Preston will not be fruitful on the scoring front.

6 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I didn't realise Alex Neil was his manager. Poor bugger.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Quite, and if he persists in playing one up then it's a mystery why Louis was signed at all. I don't remember him playing well in that role with us and you would have thought their scout would have twigged that. He's not really tall or strong enough for that position, especially with the Honey Monster defenders you get in the Championship.

I have a business acquaintance who has a close family connection to both a Scottish manager and Louis moult's current manager.

He was told that at the level of money invested in Moult (a fortune for us, a drop in the proverbial bucket for them), it was a punt based on what he did here, with no great risk to them if it didn't work out.

• Like 1

Preston signing Moult is like buying a single lottery ticket. The odds are heavily stacked against you, however, there is a outside chance that you might just hit the jackpot. In my opinion he will be plying his trade at the level of Aberdeen or god forbid Rangers sooner rather than later.