Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Whether it's at PNE or another English club, I suspect he will still be playing down south next season. Early days yet, though. 

I think he will stay down south but not at Championship level, he is not even in the PNE squad today, but he may be injured.

He will end up being sent out on loan , he was fantastic for us but the English championship is a step up for him and I have a suspicion he is not up to it .

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I think he will stay down south but not at Championship level, he is not even in the PNE squad today, but he may be injured.

He will end up being sent out on loan , he was fantastic for us but the English championship is a step up for him and I have a suspicion he is not up to it .

The top teams in the Championship are a step up - the bottom half teams, not so much.

What is different for him (and most successful strikers that leave us), however, is that he no longer plays for a team that likes to hit 20 or 30 crosses a game.  If he got run of half a dozen starts, I think he'd do okay - but so far, it's been very start stop for him; not to mention he was coming back after his injury.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:47 PM, weeyin said:

The top teams in the Championship are a step up - the bottom half teams, not so much.

What is different for him (and most successful strikers that leave us), however, is that he no longer plays for a team that likes to hit 20 or 30 crosses a game.  If he got run of half a dozen starts, I think he'd do okay - but so far, it's been very start stop for him; not to mention he was coming back after his injury.

The other unavoidable fact here is that for the past season and a half, for better or worse, our team was set up to benefit him. He was the focal point with a large part of our tactics involving 'Get the ball to Louis'. One of the reasons we struggled in December before we spent January looking for (and finding) an alternative plan... 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, Spiderpig said:

I think it's been mentioned a few times in this thread but it made no sense for Preston to sign him if they play 1 up front.  We all know that he doesn't perform well in that set up. I think he can do well in the championship if he plays in a system that works for him.

21 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Thought it would not take long but according to the BBC gossip page Louis Moult is on the radar of Rangers, I wonder when Aberdeen will join Rangers?

I can see a move to Rangers or Aberdeen happening, the Scottish premiership or English league 1 or 2 is his level, and unless he has a dramatic upturn in form he won't make it at PNE, 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I can see a move to Rangers or Aberdeen happening, the Scottish premiership or English league 1 or 2 is his level, and unless he has a dramatic upturn in form he won't make it at PNE, 

Given the life span of your average manager in England, he might well get his chance at some point. Just needs a new manager that plays 2 up front.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

He's easily a Championship level player. Just because he chose a team where he'd be second choice in a "one up front" formation doesn't mean he's suddenly become a bad player. Strikers especially, need a run of games to get match sharp and he started off injured and needing game time.

All the Rangers chat is pointless, as I'm convinced now as I was when Murty signed his short term deal that they will have a new boss (with new ideas about new players he wants) by the end of the season.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

He's easily a Championship level player. Just because he chose a team where he'd be second choice in a "one up front" formation doesn't mean he's suddenly become a bad player. Strikers especially, need a run of games to get match sharp and he started off injured and needing game time.

All the Rangers chat is pointless, as I'm convinced now as I was when Murty signed his short term deal that they will have a new boss (with new ideas about new players he wants) by the end of the season.

The Rangers chat is pointless because he moved down South for personal reasons as well as financial ones. If he wishes to move on from Preston then it will be to another English club as those personal reasons still exist...

15 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

There's Murphy making his Scotland debut. Long overdue.

Guaranteed to get his debut as soon as he joined one of the ugly sisters - it's an SFA rule.

Cracking result too. Let the good times roll.

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

He's following the usual pattern so far.  If he signs permanently for Sevco he'll be a Scotland squad regular for a few games until his value rises and then he'll be frequently unavailable through injury. 

Despite playing at a higher level for the last 3 years too...

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

He's following the usual pattern so far.  If he signs permanently for Sevco he'll be a Scotland squad regular for a few games until his value rises and then he'll be frequently unavailable through injury. 

Funnily enough, I was just reading the article on Stuart McCall in The Scotsman today. He talks about Walter Smith threatening not to renew his contract if he played a Scotland game after picking up a dead leg playing for Rangers. (He played anyway).

It's an interesting article. I had forgotten the story about McCall being included in the England U21 team as a sub, then wasting time in the last few minutes so he could't get on the pitch - because he changed his mind and wanted to play for Scotland.