Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

On 4/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, daver said:

Stevie Woods certainly hasn't been trying to blend into the background in any of the footage of the Celtic celebrations that I've seen. He's made a very good career as a goalkeeping coach out of debatable talent  (I personally think there's a fair amount of selective memory involved).

On 4/30/2018 at 11:31 PM, Frazzie said:

I don’t think Stevie Woods was anywhere near as bad a goalie as a lot of people remember. However, when he messed up...he really messed up! 

I too have always thought Woods was crucified for his errors. He was certainly not a good goalie. He was not too bad most of the time. Fuck ups were awful though.

20 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

There was a period where he was more or less costing us a goal a game.  I agree that in general, there's some people going over the top here, but Samson was a horror show.

(As was Fraser, Woods, Neilsen, Hollis and others, tbf)

That list of goalies gives me the fucking fear.
The team that pipped Aberdeen on the last day of the season that year was fucking awful anaw. How the fuck we finished 2nd I will never know when ye look back at it and think of the shit fitba that was on offer.

17 hours ago, livivoice said:

Neilson played often enough for me to form the opinion that he had the heart of a mouse. 

Probably regarded as the Faroese Samson.

Although in international football he's kept more clean sheets against a top seeded side than any of our Scottish goalkeepers could ever dream of (1) and more wins (2) :lol:

On 5/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

My memory of him was he was very good with his feet......control/distribution etc etc....I m sure we had a 5 game winning run when he came in......could be wrong

Aye that emergency loan was at a time the whole team, and particularly Lionel Ainsworth, were absolutely flying. When he signed permanently he was not great. 

9 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Former 'well player and 'Motherwell fan' Gary McAllister, can fling shite at the moon.

I am tempted to wait and see what happens with this one. McAllister has, as far as  I am concerned, always handled himself with a degree of dignity that is not common these days. If he starts to come out with the usual guff about being a lifelong fan which plays well with OF fans then hell mend him, but, at the moment, I find it difficult to criticise someone for taking up a well paid job offer.

10 hours ago, The African said:

I am tempted to wait and see what happens with this one. McAllister has, as far as  I am concerned, always handled himself with a degree of dignity that is not common these days. If he starts to come out with the usual guff about being a lifelong fan which plays well with OF fans then hell mend him, but, at the moment, I find it difficult to criticise someone for taking up a well paid job offer.

Was he not covering the second leg of the play-off on tv and looking very happy afterwards? If he comes out with anything like that I'm sure someone will post a clip of that.

Listened to 5 live a few weeks back and some Stoke fan was on comparing SPFL to a pub league.  Good to see Stoke go down pity about Paisley ned boy Lambert but they are in terminal decline and he was running out of choices.  Think his career is in the shitter anyway.  Hoping for a mackem like decent to obsecurity for Stoke..arseholes. 

Do we know for a fact that McAllister showed no interest in the motherwell job? I was of the belief that he was in the running when “forever claret and amber” Stuart McCall got the gig?

I can’t say that I can get excited about him going to Rangers. There are two sides to this coin, We’ve won a cup, qualified to Europe and played in the champions league under the leadership of ‘life long’ Rangers fan management.

We’ve had many  ‘life long’ Rangers fans in C&A. We named a stand after one FFS!!!!

So, perhaps it’s a little hypocritical to chastise one of our own for doing the same thing.

His appointment is a sensible one for Gerrard. They are old mates, he knows the league, he knows the people and they’ll have each other’s back. 

Football is an industry. A profession. Im surprised at the shock and awe by some.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gadgey said:

Do we know for a fact that McAllister showed no interest in the motherwell job? I was of the belief that he was in the running when “forever claret and amber” Stuart McCall got the gig?

I can’t say that I can get excited about him going to Rangers. There are two sides to this coin, We’ve won a cup, qualified to Europe and played in the champions league under the leadership of ‘life long’ Rangers fan management.

We’ve had many  ‘life long’ Rangers fans in C&A. We named a stand after one FFS!!!!

So, perhaps it’s a little hypocritical to chastise one of our own for doing the same thing.

His appointment is a sensible one for Gerrard. They are old mates, he knows the league, he knows the people and they’ll have each other’s back. 

Football is an industry. A profession. Im surprised at the shock and awe by some.

It's an anti Rangers thing. Some of our fans are obsessed by them and are competing with Aberdeen fans to see who hates Rangers more than Celtic fans. 

Guys happy to see an ex well player doing well at Celtic but god forbid an ex well player takes a roll at Ibrox.

Just go and see the 4million page thread on "sevco" over on the general football thread to see the guys I'm on about.

59 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

I can't say for certain but the evidence points that way.  I think his name was mentioned on 2 separate occasions but he was quoted as saying he wasn't interested because we weren't a big enough club or didn't have the cash to spend on players that he'd require.  Something along those lines.

2 hours ago, Gadgey said:

This ^^^