Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Back to the drawing board in the Summer no doubt...we've a great history of very good left-backs, but our recent history would make your heart break...Jules, Chalmers, Straker...Hendrie??

True up to a point.  However of the 4 players you mentioned how many were signed as long term replacements for Stevie Hammell?  Maybe Chalmers and although you don't mention him, ZFA.  The others have been short term stop gaps.   For too long our managers were complacent with Stevie and just assumed he'd keep on going for as long as they themselves were in charge.   I tend to agree on Hendrie though as he's hardly made much of an impression so far.      

8 minutes ago, daver said:

Are we judging Hendrie on a 45 minute appearance or am I missing something? As for left backs, our current incumbent has probably won about 4 man of the match awards since the break despite his limited distribution. 

I just have a hunch that hes not good enough...listening to Accies fans who were perplexed by his move to WHU, the reviews he got while at Blackburn and Southend, watching him in the warm-ups and the fact that he has hardly kicked a ball for us while we play a right-back on our left hand-side. I might be wrong, and I generally dont judge players quickly, but i just have a feeling that he isnt up to it.

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

True up to a point.  However of the 4 players you mentioned how many were signed as long term replacements for Stevie Hammell?  Maybe Chalmers and although you don't mention him, ZFA.  The others have been short term stop gaps.   For too long our managers were complacent with Stevie and just assumed he'd keep on going for as long as they themselves were in charge.   I tend to agree on Hendrie though as he's hardly made much of an impression so far.      

How could I have forgot about ZFA??

Whether Jules, Straker, Chalmers were stop-gaps or not, is neither here, nor there...if they were up to replacing Hammell, chances are they'd still be at the club.

I just have a hunch that hes not good enough...listening to Accies fans who were perplexed by his move to WHU, the reviews he got while at Blackburn and Southend, watching him in the warm-ups and the fact that he has hardly kicked a ball for us while we play a right-back on our left hand-side. I might be wrong, and I generally dont judge players quickly, but i just have a feeling that he isnt up to it.
Fair enough, I was just surprised by the number of people that seem to be writing him off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hendrie seemed very much like a backup player when we signed him. So no big surprise that's how we're using him.

Given that Robinson loves to play Kipre, Hartley/Aldred, Dunne at the back, a left back isn't his priority.

5 hours ago, daver said:

Are we judging Hendrie on a 45 minute appearance or am I missing something? As for left backs, our current incumbent has probably won about 4 man of the match awards since the break despite his limited distribution. 

5 hours ago, daver said:

Fair enough, I was just surprised by the number of people that seem to be writing him off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Like others, I don't think as fans we are writing him off. However his lack of appearances and failing to make squads along with everything O40Y said makes me think the staff may have written him off, unless he's injured and I never heard.

Bigi starting for the Under 20’s today. I hope this is him getting some game time in anticipation of him playing more with Tanner out. There’s undoubtedly a player in there so hoping he can step up between now and the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was decent enough game but we basically did not create much, although their goalkeeper had a few good saves. It has to be said that the referee was one of the best referees have seen in a while with no controversial decisions in 90 minutes....very rare.

May I also say it was lovely to watch a game with the sun our backs rather than freezing our b******s off.

• Like 1

I don't disagree.  Despite not actually believing our U20's should be in it (different argument for a different day) I enjoyed watching them at Fir Park in the Challenge Cup games last season and given the attendances there was clearly an interest from the 'Well support at large.  I'm sure a SFA Youth Cup tie at Fir Park would also be pretty well attended.

Having regularly played "home games" at Airdrie or  Stirling or wherever for so long now I'm sure it doesn't even register about thinking of attending for most, which is unfortunate when there are games like this with something at stake.

Arguably more of concern however is the recent spate of games we appear to have had squeezed in, in recent weeks.  I wonder how fresh the team will be having just played against St Johnstone a couple of days ago.

Well Craigan left the likes of  Hastie, Gordon, Scott who came on as sub and Agyemang on the bench the other day, I'd imagine we should be ok to get through this game tomorrow, if we win this one then Aberdeen awaits us in the semi final, boys could be in with a chance of potentially another final.

• Like 1