Reserves/Under 20's/Youths

middleeastdave

Quite an impressive implosion. We missed two empty nets, gave away a stupid pen,  got two men sent off for dissent and the keeper chucked in the winner.

The 3-5-2 didn't suit the players we had on the park and made it easy for Killie to defend our slow build up play. Any time we raised the tempo and put them under pressure we looked dangerous but the vast majority was fairly insipid. Craigan continually had them playing short corners despite the fact Killie couldn't defend crosses and we had a massive height advantage.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Quite an impressive implosion. We missed two empty nets, gave away a stupid pen,  got two men sent off for dissent and the keeper chucked in the winner.

The 3-5-2 didn't suit the players we had on the park and made it easy for Killie to defend our slow build up play. Any time we raised the tempo and put them under pressure we looked dangerous but the vast majority was fairly insipid. Craigan continually had them playing short corners despite the fact Killie couldn't defend crosses and we had a massive height advantage.

Yes, it certainly seems to have been an implosion.  I take it from your post that you were at the game.   Was the penalty clear cut as you imply or was it controversial as the official site suggests? Certainly Crags isn't know for tantrums, so there must have been more to it than meets the eye, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?.   

It's on Youtube now. For me it's a penalty.  The wee Iranian dribbles round Maguire then Maguire grabs him. You can't do that.

The third goal was frustrating because he had denied us a few similar free kicks in the previous minutes. That led to Craigan getting sent off. Our players were moaning and disputing decisions all game though and that's what happens when you are stupid enough to get on the wrong side of the ref.

Watching twitter for the under 20’s is like Groundhog Day.

Usually consists of multiple tweets of how we are on top and have missed x amount of chances.........followed by the opposition scoring.

Yet Another game today where we battered the opposition and lost according to Twitter and Craigan. 

Fustrating 

26 minutes ago, postiejim said:

How is Adam Livingston doing, haven’t heard much about him lately?

He seems to play every week and East Fife are sat mid-table, so he must be doing alright I suppose. Wouldn’t claim to be an expert right enough. 

• 3 months later...

Anybody worked out what the structure is for the new "Reserve" format this year?

Do we still need to play a certain number of U20s (or U21s or whatever), or can teams just pack their side with senior pros? Is it a merit based league or regional? Is there still the equivalent of a U20s cup? I haven't read or heard much about it.

21 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Anybody worked out what the structure is for the new "Reserve" format this year?

Do we still need to play a certain number of U20s (or U21s or whatever), or can teams just pack their side with senior pros? Is it a merit based league or regional? Is there still the equivalent of a U20s cup? I haven't read or heard much about it.

I'm sure I saw Craigan say to someone on twitter last night its much the same format as under 20s only rebranded as reserves,  will be interesting to see whether or not the bigger clubs like Rangers and Celtic actually play senior players in it now,  they've mostly just gone with kids and left squad players with virtually no game time.   Would benefit our younger ones if they get to face 4 or 5 senior pros on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, Del_Superwell said:

clubs like Rangers and Celtic actually play senior players in it now,  they've mostly just gone with kids and left squad players with virtually no game time.  

Surely the question is if we'll play senior players in it considering the size of the squad.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Hopefully this link works...

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-reserve-league-201819/

7 hours ago, Del_Superwell said:

I'm sure I saw Craigan say to someone on twitter last night its much the same format as under 20s only rebranded as reserves,  will be interesting to see whether or not the bigger clubs like Rangers and Celtic actually play senior players in it now,  they've mostly just gone with kids and left squad players with virtually no game time.   Would benefit our younger ones if they get to face 4 or 5 senior pros on a weekly basis.

Thats how Ross County won the u20 league the season before last. They had 5 overage players every game pretty much

Good experience for the younger players but the downside is that some of them will be missing out on game time if first team fringe players are getting games. Is there another league that they play in as well or do we need to organise bounce games?

• 3 weeks later...