International Call Ups

grizzlyg

• 2 months later...

Zak Jules over Liam Lindsay. Am I missing something?

Big fan of Dom and I've watched him twice on Alba. He put in solid performances but nothing to suggest he'd be on the radar for international recognition. Having said that he is a boy with talent and therefore the u21 coach wants a closer look at him. Maybe the Everton connection between Gemmill, Naysmith and Faddy has played a part here.

No surprise with Cadden despite his drop in form since getting injured against Celtic. Plenty potential there.

That decision is mental. Absolutely baffling that Lindsay isn't in that squad.

Lindsay is 22 in October. Jules just turned 20 in February.

Maybe thinking longer term perhaps

EDIT: Lindsay is too old to qualify for the 2019 qualification campaign. 22 in October.

No point in putting him in for a bounce game if he cant play come September.

Ha! I just saw a tweet pointing out that Lindsay is too old for the squad. Consider me unbaffled.

Perhaps but I think I am right in saying that Lindsay has never been recognised at any age level by the SFA despite coming up on 100 league appearances and being one of the players of the season.

The fact that Chris Cadden only got into the U21 squad after a full blown media campaign just shows you that the whole thing is a nonsense. Our youth football set up at national level is completely myopic.

• 11 months later...

When Robinson said Cadden I thought yeah possibly. When he said Campbell I thought yeah possibly.  When he said Tait though.... I'd be very very surprised. Even if he was deemed good enough for inclusion in the squad which I'm not 100% sure of  I rather fear he'd be experiencing the "Joe Wark scenario" where one of Robertson or Tierney will be switched across to the other wing so that both can be included. 

29 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

When Robinson said Cadden I thought yeah possibly. When he said Campbell I thought yeah possibly.  When he said Tait though.... I'd be very very surprised. Even if he was deemed good enough for inclusion in the squad which I'm not 100% sure of  I rather fear he'd be experiencing the "Joe Wark scenario" where one of Robertson or Tierney will be switched across to the other wing so that both can be included. 

We've only got three Scottish players so it would be a bit harsh to Tait to leave him out.

I don't see Campbell making it that far. His style of play made no impact when he came up against athletic players in the u21s. He can be a great player at our level though, similar to Lasley.

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We've only got three Scottish players so it would be a bit harsh to Tait to leave him out.

I don't see Campbell making it that far. His style of play made no impact when he came up against athletic players in the u21s. He can be a great player at our level though, similar to Lasley.

Interesting. We often agree on player attributes but I see something special in Campbell. 

As for Tait, great servant for us but nowhere near international football. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

You're wrong twice in one quote mate...not like you!!

Aldred is available for Scotla...too...

...and Campbell will go further in the game than Lasley because he has technical ability to go along with his endeavour 

Great to see the manager talk up Tait. whether he’s good enough or not is debatable but he has had a great season for us so far and is a very versatile player who could slot into different positions if required. Also if any team decides to come in for him in the summer it’s laying down a marker of what the club thinks he’s worth. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

...and Campbell will go further in the game than Lasley because he has technical ability to go along with his endeavour 

I think Lasley was underrated in terms of technical ability.  I remember Strachan once saying the reason he didn't play at a higher level was his lack of pace.

7 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Tom Aldred is probably the best shout when you think about the numpties we have at centre back.

If Campbell has a 15 year career in the top flight and picks up a good wage in England for a couple of years he'll have done well. There's not been much technical ability on show from anyone this season so Campbell can get a pass on that.  At 5 foot 6 he's going to have to do it the hard way and he'll need to be dominating week in week out to attract English scouts.

As I said when this thread was posted a year ago, I think rationally Corrigan is the only player in my time supporting Motherwell who hasn't been capped who has deserved to be capped. Had Lasley had his form of 2011/12 at a time when we were giving the likes of Barry Nicholson, Scott Severin and Gareth Williams caps, maybe he'd have deserved a cap but I don't think at that time he deserved to play in front of Fletcher, Brown, Morrison, McArthur etc.

As for the current lot, I like Tait and this season he has really impressed me, but I think our system helps cover his defensive deficiencies.  A very good player for Motherwell, but international football is perhaps a bridge too far. Was he to get picked for Scotland, I think it would highlight how much of a problem area it is. Given Kilmarnock's good form, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Stephen O'Donnell be in front of Tait, if we were to go down the SPFL Premiership route. On the flipside, I think Cadden's talents are being wasted in our system and a 21 year old who no one is quite sure exactly where to use him doesn't represent the next step to international football just yet.

Campbell is a player who I think could go on to be an international, but I think this is too soon. As for Aldred, he has impressed me since he came up, but I think he's at that awkward age where there's no advantage to playing him over Mulgrew, Berra or Martin and potentially more longevity in blooding someone like McKenna, Souttar or Hendry if we're looking at the centre backs of the future.

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I am bound to take stick for this but I think Cadden is baws. He's strong and reasonable when it comes to pace.

He's been found out at our level by most teams and hasn't put a decent cross in for ages.

I've said this for a long time, technically he is very poor...at one point there were people desperate to see him play central midfield as well.

In my opinion  though he could make a decent living out of playing at right-back

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I've said this for a long time, technically he is very poor...at one point there were people desperate to see him play central midfield as well.

In my opinion  though he could make a decent living out of playing at right-back

I was one of them i have to shamefully admit.

I was told Robinson sees him as a RB and based on him being fast and strong I agree.