The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Well done to the club excellent business. Looks like we are going to keep the nucleus of this team together. If we can add a wee bit in the summer I will be really confident.

Kipre's extension in particular could result in is receiving big money down the road if he continues to develop.

• Like 1

Great timing.

Get them signed up now while there is the excitement of the semi-final, instead of waiting a few weeks when we've been papped out the Cup and dragged back into a fight to avoid the play-off spot :lol:

Seriously, though - delighted. 

• Like 1

Apart from the clear financial benefits of these deals it allows us continue with a solid core to the team which will benefit us next season.  No major rebuilding is required rather some fine tuning.  Maybe a left sided wing back, a creative central midfielder, and a couple of strikers.  Every team needs to bring in 2/3/4 new players every year to keep things fresh.  We're reasonably solid;  now to add a bit of attacking flair.

• Like 1

We now have a solid defence when you consider:

Tait, Kipre, Hartley & Dunne (If we can get Aldred all the better, his parent club may need to cut their cloth).

In front Cadden (who I suspect will attract less attention than last summer) and Campbell. McHugh I'm sure wants to find form and consistency as much as anyone.

Up front Main is a find and Bowman as a workhorse. Would be nice to supplement with another out and out striker, not meaning to undermine Tanner.

For me those on shakey pegs, or not featured that much, out of favour or just want away for personal reasons include Bigi, Frear, Rose and Newell, Petra & Ciftci, (the last two offering not that much at all).

I hope we can blood a couple of U20's, Campbell has been a revelation this season.

This summer I suspect we may need:

Two keepers as Carson will attract attention and Griffiths will be pied

Defence just needs Aldred and/or a distinct left back (that may be a luxury)

Midfield needs a playmaker and an understudy to McHugh plus one other cover

Up front we could do with a proven striker that Bowman could challenge to be Main's foil

I'd expect 5 pieces of business over the summer.

With the cash windfall from our cup run, the pressure will be on to use it wisely.

Personally, I would love to see us prioritise signing up Main on an extended deal and getting a permanent deal sorted for Aldred.

Beyond that, I would like to see at least one of Rose and Grimshaw sign on for a further stint at Fir Park.

Now that Kipré, Dunne and Hartley are all signed up for next season, that leaves Aldred in a tough spot. Assuming Hartley is fit, those 3 are likely to be Robinson's starters, leaving Aldred on the bench. So does he commit to a deal with us in the hope we sell someone on (or Hartley stays injured), or does he look elsewhere for the first team football his performances richly deserve? Either option is a risk for him.

He's been a terrific signing, though, and slotted into the defence seamlessly - as important and impressive a January signing as Main (albeit on loan).

• Thanks 1

I agree we need centre back as cover, but after a taste of first team action, why would Aldred want to play second fiddle again? 

I've been a fan of Dunne since day one, but not convinced he could provide the quality of crosses that Tait and Cadden are capable of (and where would Cadden be playing)?

Anyway, glad it's not my problem to solve. Delighted we signed him in January, and would be happy if he stayed on (as part of the Cup winning side of 2018).

3 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I'd say we're going to need a centre back as cover.

Alternatively, I'd suggest with his pace that Dunne could slot into a wingback roles, I don't think it's beyond him. That leaves Kipre, Dunne and Aldred as the core three at the back. With Tait and Dunne flanking and Carson behind, that's a formidable line to break through.

I love Charles Dunne but how closely are you watching him? He is a clear your lines style defender, not a wingback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Jim McIntyre mentioned today he knew all about Curtis Main as they were close to signing him for Ross County. Then he got injured and they dropped their interest.

Glad that one didn't happen.

I recall Robinson saying him and McIntyre were on holiday together targeting some of the same players. The club are doing a good job at nailing down the players we want, even if it’s at a 2nd or 3rd attempt.

i suspect the mystery striker we missed out on at the 11th hour in January will arrive this summer.

5 minutes ago, Richie said:

According to the BBC gosdip page (via the sun I know).

Cardiff to offer 100k for Carson.

They can fuck off with that kind of opening bid.  Did Celtic not offer more?

I seen that. Surely a 0 missing from the end of the bid?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

Now that Kipré, Dunne and Hartley are all signed up for next season, that leaves Aldred in a tough spot. Assuming Hartley is fit, those 3 are likely to be Robinson's starters, leaving Aldred on the bench. So does he commit to a deal with us in the hope we sell someone on (or Hartley stays injured), or does he look elsewhere for the first team football his performances richly deserve? Either option is a risk for him.

He's been a terrific signing, though, and slotted into the defence seamlessly - as important and impressive a January signing as Main (albeit on loan).

I would love to see him sign a permanent deal and in truth as much as I also think Hartley is terrific Aldred is good enough to challenge him for that first 11 spot. If both fit could Aldred slot into another slot ? Not easy but injuries and suspensions always leave opportunities and he’s hard to shift on merit when he claims a place.

• Andy_P locked this topic