The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any teak hard centre halves playing non-league.

Part of our development strategy next year has to be getting our near first team prospects out on loan. The under 20 league is becoming farcical. Way too many school kids playing, sixteen years olds and the like.

Our 18/19/20 year olds need to be playing adults.

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any teak hard centre halves playing non-league.

Part of our development strategy next year has to be getting our near first team prospects out on loan. The under 20 league is becoming farcical. Way too many school kids playing, sixteen years olds and the like.

Our 18/19/20 year olds need to be playing adults.

I believe reserve league is back in force from next season so that will help the 18/19/20 year olds getting the chance to play against more seasoned pros than what they get in the under 20s league, especially when you look at the size of squads at clubs like Celtic etc will certainly be helpful for their development I'd say.

• Like 1

I`ve got an overriding feeling that we`ll see lower division football soon, whether next season or the

following.

The whole rebuild job, just fills me with the fear.

Granted, every time I watch the U20 clips, I can see real progression on that front.

However, with reduced finances in Scottish football, the position the Club are in with Fan Ownership. I

can`t help but feel, we are the next bigger club to feel the pain of dropping through the trap door.

I`m not sure if events would ultimately steer us in this direction eventually, or others higher up within the board room bailed knowing what future probably lay ahead.

Hopefully, I`m wrong and we put an exciting young team together and maintain profitability. This would be the ideal scenario.

Anyway, last word on this topic (for now) is Best Of Luck in the remaining matches and hope the fans have

an exciting end to the season.

COYW!

I almost feel compelled to offer a cuddle to anyone who thinks Moult will be here next season.

He would have been sold a 3 year deal using "come to us for 3 years, play two and well give you a good salary and put you in the shop window, you leave and we get something out of it that'll help us mitigate that increased salary, sound good? ideal .... sign here!"

• Like 2

I almost feel compelled to offer a cuddle to anyone who thinks Moult will be here next season.

He would have been sold a 3 year deal using "come to us for 3 years, play two and well give you a good salary and put you in the shop window, you leave and we get something out of it that'll help us mitigate that increased salary, sound good? ideal .... sign here!"

100% this.

Except I'm not cuddling anyone.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Like....oh....say......Randolph.

At the end of the day you need someone to be prepared to pay a worthwhile amount to get him. It might happen, but it might not.

Assuming Moult and Skippy go (and by christ I shudder where we would have been without them) the only players I would keep are Heneghan, Tait, Clay (just), Bowman, Frear, McManus, Cadden if he can get his act together and especially Carl McHugh imo our future captain and who we should build the team around....from the younger kids McLean, McMillan, Campbell, Ferguson...the other U20s I havent seen enough of

That leaves a hell of a rebuilding job on a small budget with priorities goalkeepers, left back, and a box to box midfielder, and a nippy striker

As others have said some pace and some physical presence would be great.

Easier said than done I know but from what Robinson has said I am confident he knows what is required, lets pray he gets his recruitment right. (And I would take Crawford and Devlin in a heartbeat, believe it or not I would also take Imrie)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I assume we still have the scouting system in place that Les implemented. And Robinson said in one of his interviews that he had good knowledge of the lower leagues.

So I'm hoping we already have a few ideas of how to replace Skippy and Moult. If we can sell on Moult and bring in a decent replacement that will be another success in our current business model.

Assuming Moult and Skippy go (and by christ I shudder where we would have been without them) the only players I would keep are Heneghan, Tait, Clay (just), Bowman, Frear, McManus, Cadden if he can get his act together and especially Carl McHugh imo our future captain and who we should build the team around....from the younger kids McLean, McMillan, Campbell, Ferguson...the other U20s I havent seen enough of

That leaves a hell of a rebuilding job on a small budget with priorities goalkeepers, left back, and a box to box midfielder, and a nippy striker

As others have said some pace and some physical presence would be great.

Easier said than done I know but from what Robinson has said I am confident he knows what is required, lets pray he gets his recruitment right. (And I would take Crawford and Devlin in a heartbeat, believe it or not I would also take Imrie)

no no no no no please not that wee over the hill prick imrie surely the motherwell miners have a better young player than him

• Like 1

Well if the likes of Killie, St Johnstone and Partick can do it on similar budgets there's no reason why we can't.

What I would like to see hopefully we will avoid the play offs and then we can start the new rebuild as early as possible as we seem to wait to see what players are left about two weeks before the start of the season. I think St Johnstone if memory serves me correctly, they were very quick to get players in and they managed extremely well within the same budget to ourselves.

Well if the likes of Killie, St Johnstone and Partick can do it on similar budgets there's no reason why we can't.

True....Saints have always been a good example and I like the way Thistle/Archibald have gone about things, but it has taken time for them, it wasn't that long ago they were struggling. I would like to think our fans would be as patient but I doubt it

I still feel like we are trying to rebuild after the season we lost Higdon, Law etc. Without a doubt the best Motherwell team I have ever seen and I dont think we have ever fully recovered from when they all left.

Slightly off topic I guess. Are you old enough to remember the final McLean team (and the one big eck destroyed) that finished 3rd and 2nd with the likes of big buff, Rab McKinnon, Paul lambert and TC?

That was the best 'well team I've ever seen but having never seen your best team that often (Seldom get to games now due to living down south) it can't fairly compare.

Slightly off topic I guess. Are you old enough to remember the final McLean team (and the one big eck destroyed) that finished 3rd and 2nd with the likes of big buff, Rab McKinnon, Paul lambert and TC?

That was the best 'well team I've ever seen but having never seen your best team that often (Seldom get to games now due to living down south) it can't fairly compare.

No I didnt start going to games until the butcher era. I had been to the odd one of two before that but never really followed it at that point.

• Like 1

Best well team I've watched. On a totally different level to the side that finished runners up a few years ago. Watching coyne lambert McKinnon amongst others passing Dortmund off the park in their own stadium will never be repeated again. A Dortmund side that contained some of Germany's biggest stars at the time- sammer reuter riddle - nonetheless

• Like 4

Best well team I've watched. On a totally different level to the side that finished runners up a few years ago. Watching coyne lambert McKinnon amongst others passing Dortmund off the park in their own stadium will never be repeated again. A Dortmund side that contained some of Germany's biggest stars at the time- sammer reuter riddle - nonetheless

That was after I had moved to Texas but watching the highlights of that game, I ahve to agreee with you that it was a different level

I have to agree, the team that McLean built, was the best Motherwell team I've seen.

Where might we have gone had he stayed?

As was evidenced under McLeish "his" team still had a bit of life in them before McLeish began to try to put his own stamp on things. Could it have got better still or was that it at its peak? We can only speculate/dream.

It is worth remembering though McLean's team took a genuine challenge for the league title until the 3rd last game of a 44 game season. That's an incredible achievement when set against the millions that Rangers spent to build the squad they won the league with that year.

• Like 1

Where might we have gone had he stayed?

As was evidenced under McLeish "his" team still had a bit of life in them before McLeish began to try to put his own stamp on things. Could it have got better still or was that it at its peak? We can only speculate/dream.

It is worth remembering though McLean's team took a genuine challenge for the league title until the 3rd last game of a 44 game season. That's an incredible achievement when set against the millions that Rangers spent to build the squad they won the league with that year.

Remember a home defeat, think it was Dundee Utd, near the end of the season which was a bitter pill to swallow. It was only then out title challenge ended.

• Andy_P locked this topic