The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

Remember a home defeat, think it was Dundee Utd, near the end of the season which was a bitter pill to swallow. It was only then out title challenge ended.

Remember that I think the cooper stand was being built so it was literally a building site behind that goal. Crowd was just over 5000 for a title chasing team!!. Now I could well be wrong here but did Andy Roddie not miss a chance to put us 2 up before Brewster scored and if that was the case it would have been McLeish's first season. (but more or less McLeans team)...feel free to correct as my memory aint what it used to be!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Remember that I think the cooper stand was being built so it was literally a building site behind that goal. Crowd was just over 5000 for a title chasing team!!. Now I could well be wrong here but did Andy Roddie not miss a chance to put us 2 up before Brewster scored and if that was the case it would have been McLeish's first season. (but more or less McLeans team)...feel free to correct as my memory aint what it used to be!

How about the 1-2 defeat to St Johnstone with George Burley omitted from the team? Billy Dodds was in some form that night.

I remember McLeish playing for us pre-season and cramping up.

Was it against Clydebank?

That Utd game is one of those games I've never had the inclination to see again given the implications of the result and I don't remember too much other than perhaps Sieb Dijkstra perhaps being culpable for one of the Utd goals, that was certainly in 1993'94.

Anything involving Andy Roddie would have been 1994'95 or onwards, he was one of McLeish's early signings in 1994.

As regards the Cooper Stand that started being developed at the end of the 1993'94 season. I think the terracing was still in use the night I was referring to (93'94) and a large number of 'Well fans took the opportunity to stand for the last time at Fir Park in the final game of the season against St Johnstone a week or two later.

How about the 1-2 defeat to St Johnstone with George Burley omitted from the team? Billy Dodds was in some form that night.

I remember McLeish playing for us pre-season and cramping up.

Was it against Clydebank?

Were those events perhaps in different seasons?

I remember we lost a midweeker in Perth in 93'94 (they really had the measure of us that season with 3 wins which was all the more painful given I think they eventually went down) but my recollection was that Burley had only just returned to Motherwell as a player coach not long after being given the bullet by Ayr.

He moved on before McLeish arrived in 1994. I can't mind if McLeish played against the Bankies in the League Cup at Fir Park but that was certainly one of, if not his first matches in charge. Again I can't remember if that came before or after the Havnar UEFA Cup game but it's entirely possible he made an appearance that evening. I do recollect it was nice to see Davie Cooper back at Fir Park that same evening.

Anyway apologies for a few posts of mine that have taken the thread off topic.

As regards the Cooper Stand that started being developed at the end of the 1993'94 season. I think the terracing was still in use the night I was referring to (93'94) and a large number of 'Well fans took the opportunity to stand for the last time at Fir Park in the final game of the season against St Johnstone a week or two later.

100% correct. That St Johnstone game (which I think we lost 1-0) was my one and only match in the North Stand terracing. I was an East Stand kid but was taken in there for the final match of that season.

I am also sure that I was mascot in that Dundee United match you describe...

Remember that I think the cooper stand was being built so it was literally a building site behind that goal. Crowd was just over 5000 for a title chasing team!!.

My memory of that season is that there wasn't really any 'title chasing' mentality within the support.

Rangers were well clear off the field going into the last 9 matches when they proceeded to collapsed completely.

If we had beaten Dundee Utd it would have certainly made it interesting but we were always playing catch up with Rangers who had the points in the bag.

Even if we had put the pressure on, Rangers last game of the season was against Dundee, who finished bottom of the league that season, at Ibrox. That game petered out 0-0 but you suspect that Rangers would probably have won that one if they really had to.

Just a thought but if Morton go through to the play off finals is their ground up to SPFL standards, I know they have just under 6000 seats, are the seats all under cover, it has been a long time since I have been to their ground. Apologies if this is on the wrong thread, but I was just thinking if we end up in the play offs with Morton!!

Were those events perhaps in different seasons?

I remember we lost a midweeker in Perth in 93'94 (they really had the measure of us that season with 3 wins which was all the more painful given I think they eventually went down) but my recollection was that Burley had only just returned to Motherwell as a player coach not long after being given the bullet by Ayr.

He moved on before McLeish arrived in 1994. I can't mind if McLeish played against the Bankies in the League Cup at Fir Park but that was certainly one of, if not his first matches in charge. Again I can't remember if that came before or after the Havnar UEFA Cup game but it's entirely possible he made an appearance that evening. I do recollect it was nice to see Davie Cooper back at Fir Park that same evening.

Anyway apologies for a few posts of mine that have taken the thread off topic.

Aye sorry, drunk in Bangkok last night. Shouldn't post when inebriated.

I think the match I'm referring to was Feb/March 94? If we had won that night we would have gone top of the league.

Re McLeish, he played for us a few times pre or early season then packed in. Was that 94/95? I suppose I should Google it, memory is fading.

Around the same time as the St Johnstone away game, we played the first match under the Fergus Era at Celtic Park.

Pretty sure we took 4,000 fans that day, and I was shocked to see the total attendance was only 36,000. The so-called "best fans in the world," abandoned Celtic when they were a losing team.

Arnott scored first half, we won 1-0, beating a Macari team. One memory of that day was a double Celtic substitution when he brought on the midget pair Simon Donnelly and Brian McLaughlin? Looked like a couple of weans coming on the pitch.

Aye, the days when we held a hex over Celtic. Long gone.

Thing with Dom Thomas is that he is apparently a standout at U20 level. But generally is seen to be ineffective when he plays in the first team. Possibly should have gone on loan earlier as his development has been stunted by only getting 10 or 20 minutes in games when we're struggling and he's being asked as a very young player to turn it around for a team that's playing badly. Being written off on that basis.

Bob McHugh anyone? Let's hope it ends differently this time around and it doesn't turn out that the second tier is his level...

Aberdeen have been after tansey for god knows how long, wouldn't be surprised to see him end up there. still only 28 as well, would be a steal for us

Tansey signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen today.

I've always liked him and was dissapointed to miss out on him back in 2014 (I think it was) when we were rumoured to be close before he chose to go back to Inverness

Gutted by this news.

More than capable SPL Player and would be an improvement over current LBs.

I've always liked him and was dissapointed to miss out on him back in 2014 (I think it was) when we were rumoured to be close before he chose to go back to Inverness

Just referenced the 'Well again book by Graham B and Keith B. It was season 93/94 game was originally scheduled for 9/4 but was played 3/5 which would explain midweek evening game. Kirk scored for us crowd was 5208 and you are right re Roddie, he hadnt been signed. We then drew 3-3 away to Raith and lost 1-0 to St J finishing 3rd 1 pt behind Adeen and 4pts behind Rangers. Basically taking 1 point from last 3 games from teams finishing 6th, 10th and 11th which cost us the league...thats how close we actually were. It was McLeans final season with us so my memory was playing tricks but I am still convinced the Cooper stand was a building site!

That Utd game is one of those games I've never had the inclination to see again given the implications of the result and I don't remember too much other than perhaps Sieb Dijkstra perhaps being culpable for one of the Utd goals, that was certainly in 1993'94.

Anything involving Andy Roddie would have been 1994'95 or onwards, he was one of McLeish's early signings in 1994.

Just referenced the 'Well again book by Graham B and Keith B. It was season 93/94 game was originally scheduled for 9/4 but was played 3/5 which would explain midweek evening game. Kirk scored for us crowd was 5208 and you are right re Roddie, he hadnt been signed. We then drew 3-3 away to Raith and lost 1-0 to St J finishing 3rd 1 pt behind Adeen and 4pts behind Rangers. Basically taking 1 point from last 3 games from teams finishing 6th, 10th and 11th which cost us the league...thats how close we actually were. It was McLeans final season with us so my memory was playing tricks but I am still convinced the Cooper stand was a building site

Edit sorry this waz reply to Andy P reply to posts re home game v Dundee Utd that may well have cost us the league

Inverness really are just a feeder club for Aberdeen these days...

• Andy_P locked this topic