2017/18 Fixtures

Well-Made

Disappointed yet again in the SPFL getting the fixtures out.

The EPL released their fixtures today and start a week after we do.

The Football League will announce their Fixtures next Wednesday

The SPFL won't release them until the 23rd June, just 6 weeks before the League starts.

We have less teams than the above two combined, so the only reasons I can see for this is to make sure that the fixtures for Sevco and Celtic are okay with them and that giving the TV companies to sort out the English fixtures to be shown live, so they can squeeze the SPFL games in around them.

However we all know that TV will only select a few games at a time so shouldn't really make much difference. We also know from past experience that at least Celtic will postpone an away game for a "glamour" friendly within the first couple of weeks. Sevco may as well if they are already out of Europe by then as well.

The EPL is running with funds running in the billions and with a product that is watched in hundreds of countries across the globe. They create schedules with that audience in mind.

It's a completely different world with completely different requirements in a completely different business model.

Apologies, this reads a lot harsher than it's meant.

No worries Busta. Just gets up my goat looking at the way the BBC is gushing over the fixtures for next season in the EPL and I know that come next week with the Football Leagues fixtures out today's before ours, we'll be left fighting for any sort of acknowledgement.

After last years controversial fixtures with only two home fixtures opposed to three against the unwashed from the East End and the new Tory fan club, expect us to get four home ties this season before the split to make up for it, you heard it here first.

Isn't that how the fixtures work every season?

4 home ties again the gruesome twosome pre split ..... want to rethink your question

Yeah I meant that if we play a team away twice pre-split then we're guaranteed them at home twice the season after. And vice versa. Hibs will replace Inverness so we'll go to ER at least twice.

I think the issue was in the past season that all clubs outwith the OF should face them 3 times at home and 3 away for even distribution of revenues and not to impact unfairly if you were to be relegated in a two home game season.

Also in terms of sporting fairness, the past few years aside due to obvious reasons, it's normally been a two horse race in our league with tit for tat at the top of the league for the best part of 30 years. To end up at Ibrox and Parkhead 4 times is a tough ask while every team in the league is always hopeful of doing a turn at their own ground.

The argument against was that Rangers should not be regarded as any way differently due to the size of its travelling support.

Of course on day one we all think we can do a Leicester but in reality the best we can hope for is splitting them and a Cup Final. As far as the league is concerned we're there to see who's best of the rest and maybe get a few Monday morning bragging rights if we steal a result.

Yeah I meant that if we play a team away twice pre-split then we're guaranteed them at home twice the season after. And vice versa. Hibs will replace Inverness so we'll go to ER at least twice.

I don't think that's the case as Rangers and Partick also replace Motherwell and Ross County as top 6 "seeded" teams.

I was led to believe that they reverse the fixtures based on team seeding every year, so if team 1 plays team 2 twice at home before the split one season, the next season it is two away.

• 2 weeks later...