Supporter Liaison Officers

rinkydink

There was a pitch for applications for Supporter Liaison Officers a few months ago from the club - does anyone know if those roles were filled? Couldn't see anything online about it and think the last I heard on it was Ryan Murrant talking about it on the MFC podcast at the time.

Not sure but I remeber looking at it and it's a hell of a lot of work for a volunteer job, especially as you wont see much of the match either.

My thoughts entirely when I read the full spec through....it was like a detailed job spec for a full time paid post and I doubted if there would be sufficient interest. Classic case of a nice simple idea being completely over egged and over complicated.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This is one of those ideas that seems good in theory, but I can't see many folk being interested as it seems to entail a lot for a volunteer.

Fair play to anyone who takes up one of the posts. Just going with what we all gripe about on here I'd imagine they will have to have the patience of a saint.

Would imagine we'll catch up with Ryan on the podcast in the early stages of the season.

Last time I discussed the SLO's with Ryan, he was explaining that the model was the same as used at Doncaster when he worked there. I believe that Supporters Direct Scotland were helping the club find suitable SLO's and helping ensure they don't just jump at the first available candidates.

I see Dunfermline have gone down the same route and their SLO's have been appointed.

http://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=DAFC_SLO%E2%80%99s_introduced&ID=10004

Just read the roles of the SLO's on the Dunfermline site and can't help thinking why is the job needed in the 1st place. Surely all of those functions,assuming that they are similar for Motherwell are stuff that the club should be doing just now to keep supporters informed etc. It seems a lot of work for a volunteer to take on, but i still can't see the need for it.

The thing is, who is "the club" that should be doing it? The club is just people, and everybody has plenty of work to do. If all the SLO had to do was respond to queries, complaints and suggestions on just this site, it would be a full time job. Never mind looking after 4000 fans.

The SLOs will be part of the club and take on that responsibility. It keeps fans engaged, and reduces the overhead on the other members of staff who have a business to run.

Worth a try, in my view.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Think the woman took some abuse and fired some right back before giving it up.

I believe it's still being looked at and murrant still wants 4 folk involved.

I do believe he wasn't happy with a lot of the applicants last time. (roasters)

It seems like a mugs game anyway. so much requirement for a volunteer role.

• Like 2

According to the UEFA website,

Under Article 35, clubs across Europe will be required before the beginning of the 2012/13 season to appoint a supporter liaison officer (SLO) to ensure proper and constructive discourse between them and their fans. The introduction of this UEFA licensing requirement constitutes a new landmark in club-supporter relations and emphasises the importance UEFA attaches to dialogue and communication between clubs and fans.

So it seems that we need somebody in place to perform that role to meet UEFA licensing requirements.

Not quite sure what we have been doing since 2012 right enough (presumably someone from the club was perfroming the role).