Club Tv Channels...

David

This is something I've wondered for a while.

In the past it was only Celtic and Rangers who had their own TV channel, but now we're seeing the likes of Hibs and even Thistle with a subscription channel on their websites? They offer live access to their games for overseas fans, and delayed coverage for UK based fans (entire 90 minutes are made available from midday the next day).

Anyone know why we can't be doing something like this?

I would like this, from the highlights I can only ever see who's good. I need to see the full games to know who's shite. Unless they're Zack Jules.

We already record the whole games and provide commentary, so my guess is the hosting platform would be the stumbling block.

I would like this, from the highlights I can only ever see who's good. I need to see the full games to know who's shite. Unless they're Zack Jules.

We already record the whole games and provide commentary, so my guess is the hosting platform would be the stumbling block.

Couldn't we just copy Thistle? I assume they're not paying a fortune or using anything that would be outwith our reach?

The content the club put out isn't too bad. They do a highlights package and loads of other interviews and stuff including the MixLR commentary.

Live streaming for exiles would be nice I'm sure, but it's a pretty small market.

While it's not all about making money, there would be a cost involved that wouldn't come back.

This is something I've wondered for a while.

In the past it was only Celtic and Rangers who had their own TV channel, but now we're seeing the likes of Hibs and even Thistle with a subscription channel on their websites? They offer live access to their games for overseas fans, and delayed coverage for UK based fans (entire 90 minutes are made available from midday the next day).

Anyone know why we can't be doing something like this?

I'll admit I've not paid that much attention but I'm not sure how popular Thistle's platform actually is. I'm pretty sure quite a few of their fans have pointed to our #content as a model that they'd prefer rather than the subscription service.

Live games and delayed coverage aside I don't think the Jagzone content is really any different to what Motherwell are doing with their YouTube channel. The only difference is that Thistle fans are being asked to pay for it.

Live streaming for exiles would be nice I'm sure, but it's a pretty small market.

While it's not all about making money, there would be a cost involved that wouldn't come back.

It's just frustrating that when they're already filming and commentating on almost every game, they can't go the final few yards so we can see the pictures alongside the live comms... or even just the pictures.

The bandwidth cost of the actual streaming is probably pretty small... in the absence of any other overheads, I'd guess they'd be more than covered if every viewer was asked to pay a couple of quid to watch every week. Or it could just be considered a Well Society perk for overseas members, since the other ones aren't usually much use to us. (Though here in Ireland, I'd lose out both ways as they're not allowed to live stream Scottish fitba' here either...)

The whole rights/geolocation issue is the main problem I presume -- as far as I know, none of the 'simple' solutions (YouTube, Facebook, Periscope, uStream and whatnot) have either a way to stream to paid subscribers only, or to block viewers by IP or location. So presumably the club would need to pay for some bespoke solution, and that's what'd put the price up for viewers.

I'll admit I've not paid that much attention but I'm not sure how popular Thistle's platform actually is. I'm pretty sure quite a few of their fans have pointed to our #content as a model that they'd prefer rather than the subscription service.

Live games and delayed coverage aside I don't think the Jagzone content is really any different to what Motherwell are doing with their YouTube channel. The only difference is that Thistle fans are being asked to pay for it.

It's the live games and delayed coverage that's the main attraction though, isn't it? Especially for overseas fans. They don't even need to put too much into it, the new EFL iFollow package is basically one camera angle filming the whole game with no commentary or replays.

What sort of camera is used to record the games for the MFC TV? I know ye can broadcast on a phone these days but would the camera have the ability to go live?

Possibly not directly, but if not they could likely hook it up to a laptop and use something like OBS Studio (free) or something better (not free) to stream via their service of choice.

The biggest technical challenge, I suspect, would be applying the appropriate geographic restrictions. But I imagine services like Youtube Live Stream manage that.

As I said before, Thistle can manage to do this, so is it really outwith our capabilities? It would likely be a decent little earner, especially from fans overseas. Think most clubs charge UK-based fans £4.99 or something for all the miscellaneous content plus delayed coverage of the full 90 minutes, and overseas fans a tenner or something for the same coverage except the games are streamed live.

An overseas address and bank account are required for the live streaming service.

That's what I was thinking, right now I pay nothing to the club weekly, as do most overseas fans, so this would hopefully bring us some money. However I don't know 1) how many overseas fans we have, and 2) how much it costs to do.

I don't know either, but I'm expecting Ally Maxwell to phone us all personally and sort it out.

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking, right now I pay nothing to the club weekly, as do most overseas fans.

If this did get up and running, I imagine fees would just cover the costs.

If you want to contribute to the club, however, the Well Society is the way to go.