Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

Felt sorry for the players having to run out to a half empty home end today. This team have given everything in the cup, it is a shame that the fans did not match that commitment today.  I would have gone with the weather argument were it not for the fact that the away end was sold out.Think the Hearts fans outnumbered us 2:1 today which for a home tie in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final is indeed baffling. Everybody is entitled to make a decision about whether or not they want to go to a football match. It would have been nice to see our players have better backing all the same.

Enough of the negatives.  What an effort from the players and what a goal to win it. Felt after 15 minutes of the second half that Hearts were going to go on and win it but the team showed real character to battle their way back into the game.  McHugh and Campbell in the middle typified the commitment and McHugh deserved his goal. 

5 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

So you fail to see the irony in your comment, that more than 50% of the crowd travelled from outside Lanarkshire . I will enjoy the moment, but our support was pathetic whatever way you spin it.

aye and you sound a great supporter steelmen 1991. calm yersel doon and enjoy the victory which I personally don't care who was there. I was there with my 2 sons and my oldest at 17 said it was one of best Well games he's been at. And he's been at a lot. So there@!!@

• Like 1

Didn’t realise McHugh misses the semi. Makes the goal that bit more special but it leaves us a huge void to fill. We tend to collapse when he’s missing. 

Stuart ‘bottle merchant’ McCall in the sportscene studio rounds off the day perfectly. 

Regarding crowds, the weather maybe accounts for a couple of hundred travelling from further afield but to be over 1,500 down on what you’d expect is a strange one. 

Tbh i nearly didn't go despite having a ticket as the snow started again out here and i only had wife's tuc tuc to come through in so hard to be critical of those that didn't attend but was a very disappointing home turn out.

That said the noticable thing in all quarter finals was decent or excellent away supports and home supports below their season ticket holder numbers. In our case it looks even worse cause our numbers are smaller.

Anyway well done to all there, stayed behind the team, and always better to celebrate a goal like that surrounded by fellow Well fans rather than on tv.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gaz7 said:

aye and you sound a great supporter steelmen 1991. calm yersel doon and enjoy the victory which I personally don't care who was there. I was there with my 2 sons and my oldest at 17 said it was one of best Well games he's been at. And he's been at a lot. So there@!!@

I don't need you to tell me to calm down - I'm perfectly calm. Good that you made it - welcome to the 'uber' supporters club.

4 minutes ago, Clackscat said:

That said the noticable thing in all quarter finals was decent or excellent away supports and home supports below their season ticket holder numbers. In our case it looks even worse cause our numbers are smaller.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

That is an interesting statistic. Hard to know what clubs could do as an addition incentive to Season ticket holders.

What I find hard to understand is the mentality that fans are happy to shell out for a season ticket to watch games in a competition that we have as much chance of winning as hell freezing over - yet fail to turn up to a game in one of the only two competitions where we actually have a chance. This is noticeable not only here but in Englandurshire as well - strange one!!

• Like 1

I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the amount of well fans there today. For me there were a number of factors that had an effect on the crowd, the weather this week being the biggest one, totally understand why people wouldn’t want to risk travelling after the last few days. Add in the fact the game was live on BBC then it means people wouldn’t ‘miss’ the game if they decided not to go.  As for the Hearts support, fair play to them it was great, however they had to pre purchase tickets so had already paid the money for the game before the weather turned this week, I don’t believe for a min that the hearts crowd would have been anywhere near that size if it was a PATG game for them. 

• Like 1

This is why I support Motherwell and why I want my six year old to continue the tradition.  Great performance from the lads, character in spades and what a strike by McHugh,  straight off the shinty pitch! Great moment near the end as well when main rag dolled about 4 hearts players.  Hampden here we come!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevie_mfc said:

I don’t understand the negativity surrounding the amount of well fans there today. For me there were a number of factors that had an effect on the crowd, the weather this week being the biggest one, totally understand why people wouldn’t want to risk travelling after the last few days. Add in the fact the game was live on BBC then it means people wouldn’t ‘miss’ the game if they decided not to go.  As for the Hearts support, fair play to them it was great, however they had to pre purchase tickets so had already paid the money for the game before the weather turned this week, I don’t believe for a min that the hearts crowd would have been anywhere near that size if it was a PATG game for them. 

I was going to make the same point - if the game had been in Edinburgh and the tickets had been bought beforehand, I've no doubt we would have take a large support, though not near 5000 before I get picked up on that. I dare say everyone has there own reasons for giving it a miss.

Falkirk has been hit way harder than Motherwell  with the snow as it turns out, and I only finally decided to go after 1pm,  but I will say that the decision to go was a good un' :woop:

MON RA DOSSERS

I think the low crowd was down to the poor performances at home over the last few months. Apart from the absolutely freezing St Johnstone second half it's been grim at home since September. There's not been much to keep the casual fan interested and they stayed at home today.

We showed our good side and bad side today. Started well and got a goal through pressure. Fell out the game, couldn't pass the ball for 25 minutes but stayed alive through sheer bravery and commitment in our own 18 yard box. Then worked our way back in by winning 50/50s by superior fitness and scored a jammy/amazing goal.

I'm delighted for Carl McHugh. He's had a difficult season but he's constantly battling for the ball and putting his body on the line. I think he has took a lot of the blame for the our shitfesting style of play, he's a centrehalf playing in midfield and the amount of challenges he contests and wins makes him well worth a start.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

This is why I support Motherwell and why I want my six year old to continue the tradition.  Great performance from the lads, character in spades and what a strike by McHugh,  straight off the shinty pitch! Great moment near the end as well when main rag dolled about 4 hearts players.  Hampden here we come!! 

That but at the end with Main was magic!

4 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

I don't need you to tell me to calm down - I'm perfectly calm. Good that you made it - welcome to the 'uber' supporters club.

This type of comment is why I'm not on here often anymore ,FFS steelman1991 get a grip .

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Not 100% sure but I think if we get to final and if it’s  rangers and they beat us, they would take the cup spot and the other euro place would be given to the next highest league position.   Anyways a long way to go before we have to figure that out. 

Scotland has 1 CL place and 3 EL places, the cup runners up rule was binned a few years ago, so irrespective of who is in the final they only way we will get Europe is by winning the cup or finishing at least 4th.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Scotland has 1 CL place and 3 EL places, the cup runners up rule was binned a few years ago, so irrespective of who is in the final they only way we will get Europe is by winning the cup or finishing at least 4th.

Cheers. I’m not quite up with rules and regulations as I used to be 

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Best that we win it then! Great result today. Keeps the season going nicely.

Very happy with the performance.  We were the better side.......just.  Our "first goal" was scored by Tanner from the corner.  When the Hearts' keeper got a foot to the ball it was just over the line but I'm not confident the referee would have awarded it given the mood he was in.  Not an OG nor down to Main, who made sure.   We bossed the first half but lacked a killer touch in the penalty box.  Hearts changed things around and it worked for them.  Kipre gave away a silly penalty and the Jambos then overran our midfield but fortunately couldn't score a second.  We defended deeper and deeper and narrower and narrower.  However we got a second wind in the final 10 minutes and McHugh scored with a volley fit to win any game.  A good team performance and I liked Carson, who made a crucial save, Dunne, McHugh for his  winner, Campbell  and Main for battling hard against big uncompromising defenders.   

Robbo and Keef deserve great credit for masterminding our win and we now have another Hampden day to look forward to. 

I thought the referee was atrocious and let Hearts players off with  murder yet booked our lads without hesitation.  Inconsistency at its worst.  i would also say his chalking off of Cadden's "goal" was touch and.   had he allowed it there would have been no protest from Hearts players and that says it all. 

A great all round team performance with character. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Yep maybe I am but your summed up totally with your Pious prick comment. I'm sure majority of well fans agree. what the fuk does pious even mean. away out the back into your shed and play with your train set ya fanny

Swings and roundabouts with crowds , our crowds this season are well up on average and we took 1400 to Dundee we need to get over ourselves even though today's crowd was disappointing. I suggest a lot of fans watched the utter dross from Dundee last week and expected us to get horsed . Their loss TV just doesn't give you that feeling at the game especially when its the jambos you boot in the bangers

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Cup Semi Final V Aberdeen(Hampden) 14/04/18 12:15
  • Yabba's Turd featured this topic