Scottish Premiership Game 23: Hearts (A) 27/01/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Great result in the end yesterday. Was delighted when the goal was given, immediately thought we got one of our previously disallowed goals back. Feel cheated after seeing the pics on here showing it was a goal.

Thanks GazzyB for the twitch link ..... feel though I shouldn't have watched it as FHW scored as I brought it up.

The much maligned Andy Rose did well to get his header back into the area for the goal and McHugh did a great job taking out Berra. We are a handful at set pieces . Most teams know that but still struggle to defend against it . Been saying since the McCall days we were neither fit enough strong enough or big enough . McGhee also never addressed it . Robinson has though thats for sure . Dont see this team getting bullied at places like tynecasle as we did in previous years . And a mention to our goalkeeper . Superb again yesterday . Class act . Remember Samson

• Like 1

The much maligned Andy Rose did well to get his header back into the area for the goal and McHugh did a great job taking out Berra. We are a handful at set pieces . Most teams know that but still struggle to defend against it . Been saying since the McCall days we were neither fit enough strong enough or big enough . McGhee also never addressed it . Robinson has though thats for sure . Dont see this team getting bullied at places like tynecasle as we did in previous years . And a mention to our goalkeeper . Superb again yesterday . Class act .

Pretty much agree with that Minty.

I'm not one to place too much store on precise statistics but the possession figure of 59/41 should show us that some improvement is required. Ok Hearts have a far larger budget than us and have always been a physical competitive team but some improvement in our ability to fight, battle and hold the ball wouldn't go amiss. To those of you who bemoan our lack of free flowing good football though I'd say that we're limited, to some extent by our budget. I thought that Robbo picked possibly the best starting line up he could have done yesterday. Who else in the squad would have added to our creativity? Bigi, who came on with 18 minutes to go or Ross MacLean who wasn't on the bench? No overall, I think Robbo and Keith and, of course, the players did their part in putting in a dogged well organised performance at what is a difficult venue.

In short, we're doing ok but of course there's room for improvement.

I know Im never going to convince you that 100% of the ball crossed the line without you viewing it from another angle. However, I couldnt resist blowing the You Tube image up even more. I feel like Im in that Mel Brooks film where he enlarges a picture of a crime to try and prove a point (I cant remember what its called). :biggrin: However, even if it wasnt 100% over (as I think) we finally got a goal line decision going in our favour. :thumbup:

14o5c13.jpg

I know Im never going to convince you that 100% of the ball crossed the line without you viewing it from another angle. However, I couldnt resist blowing the You Tube image up even more. I feel like Im in that Mel Brooks film where he enlarges a picture of a crime to try and prove a point (I cant remember what its called). :biggrin: However, even if it wasnt 100% over (as I think) we finally got a goal line decision going in our favour. :thumbup:

14o5c13.jpg

other angle.

Screenshot_20180128-181346.png

• Like 1

Excellent result by the team and they deserve enormous credit for going until the very end.

To be honest, I didn't think we deserved to win like Robinson mentioned in his post match interview. We definitely deserved a point and I think a draw was a fair reflection of the game but I didn't think we were perhaps as good as he made out.

Cedric Kipre was outstanding, as he was on Wednesday. This boy is still very young and has massive potential to go to a much higher level IMO. Aldred again looked solid. Curtis Main worked really hard as well, he was a handful for Berra and co. I think he is in the Bowman mould and won't get us 20 goals a season but as you can see he is chipping in with his fair share already. Hopefully Nadri Ciftci will supply the rest. Alan Campbell is another I have high hopes for, his tackling is top drawer. Rose was another who contributed well for me in the middle of the park.

Hopefully we will start to play a bit more football as the season goes on, again some of our distribution was pretty bad. Dunne was the main culprit, Tait when he came on and McHugh also needs to do better with the ball at feet. Chrissy Cadden to me looks like he needs a week out of the side, I'm not sure if it's the wing back position or what but I don't feel he has been the same player for a couple of months now.

Another tough outing on Wednesday but the boys have proven they have the fight required to come away with another positive result. I'm keen to see what business we will do before Wednesday, with Fisher away I'm hopeful we can get another good option up front. Perhaps in the poacher role to push Main and Ciftci.

Feels petty writing this but that was the kind of brazenly bias coverage from sportscene you would normally only expect for OF games. In the highlights two outstanding chances for main were not shown at all, while they did show hearts pumping ball 5 feet over bar. Then the analysis of the pens - i honestly thought the pictures showed a clear pen or free kick for well (it doesn't really matter if the foul started outside the box, he stayed on feet and was impeded when going for ball within the box); then a blatent dive for hearts (the left leg of defender did not make contact as suggested, and the cheating dive was already well underway at that point). Gave a totally one sided impression of the game to the big team and only backed up nonsense from deluded levein. As an aside i thought we were brilliant on saturday and deserved fairer comment and coverage.

• Like 4

Feels petty writing this but that was the kind of brazenly bias coverage from sportscene you would normally only expect for OF games. In the highlights two outstanding chances for main were not shown at all, while they did show hearts pumping ball 5 feet over bar. Then the analysis of the pens - i honestly thought the pictures showed a clear pen or free kick for well (it doesn't really matter if the foul started outside the box, he stayed on feet and was impeded when going for ball within the box); then a blatent dive for hearts (the left leg of defender did not make contact as suggested, and the cheating dive was already well underway at that point). Gave a totally one sided impression of the game to the big team and only backed up nonsense from deluded levein. As an aside i thought we were brilliant on saturday and deserved fairer comment and coverage.

I dont think youre being petty mate, these are just examples of why I havent watched sportscene for a very long time.

• Like 2

What Inthebasement said.

I stopped watching BBC Sportscene ages ago but caught the prog. at my daughter's on Sunday. I was reminded how poorly served we are by its coverage, which is amateurish and shoddy, made worse in this case when Robinson mentioned incidents which had been cut out of the highlights package. Also, the analysis of the penalty incidents was laughable. I still don't see where Aldred touched the Hearts player, despite Stewart's assertions, and I think Collum (not normally a fan) did well to resist the big shout for the penalty.

The BBC Shortbread should reflect on the fact that Scotland has the highest per capita attendance at football matches but has the worst TV football deal.

You'd almost think they were trying to kill off the Scottish game, or anything Scottish, for that matter.

• Like 1

Agree 100%. You're not being petty. For starters, the overall coverage of Scottish football, outwith the gruesome twosome, is shocking. However editing can completely change the nature of a game for viewers who weren't at the game. Editors can pick and choose what incidents to include and cut out which gives a false impression of a game. The standard of commentary and punditry is shocking. Yes, we all know why its biased. I watch the 5 minutes or so tv highlights on my pc and listen to the radio as little as possible.

On Peter and Roughie last night, both Gordon Smith and Alan Rough were confident it was not a penalty and actually said they could not see any contact being made. A huge contrast to what Stewart and Thomson said on Sportscene. That said, Stewart and Thomson seemed to be trying to convince each other it was a penalty despite the TV evidence. In my opinion none of the three incidents merited a penalty.

• Like 1