Scottish Premiership Game 26: St Johnstone (H) 06/02/18 19:45

something else

It's exasperating to see us play hoofball as we are a pretty decent footballing side when we get the ball down and play, It genuinely looks as if Robbo isn't interested in playing any other way.

Another absolute shitfest awaits on Tuesday night with us hopefully getting a needed 3 points.

It's exasperating to see us play hoofball as we are a pretty decent footballing side when we get the ball down and play, It genuinely looks

Aye, I'm not sure I buy into this "earn the right to play football" philosophy.

If anything, I'd rather we played out football from the start and used our hard men to close out a game. Much better than chasing 1 or 2 goal deficits for the last 30 minutes.

Carson

Kipre-Aldred-Dunne

Tait-McHugh-Campbell-Frear

Bigirimana

Main-Ciftci

Bigirimana needs to be given an opportunity to show what he's worth. He offers more creativity in the middle.

Cadden doesn't look fit.

MacLean and Newell on the bench for impact subs.

Is Hartley fit?

Glad to see we are all looking forward to another feast of football.... You never know, maybe we will be surprised haha.

Personally I'd change things about a wee bit, wouldn't be surprised if Robinson does the same but probably not in the way that I would suggest.

I'd go for:

Carson
Kipre Aldred Dunne

Maclean McHugh Bigi Campbell Hendrie
Ciftci Main

Bigi for Tanner seems like a given for me. Tanner hasn't been great in the last few games and Bigi can hopefully encourage us to actually get the ball down and play it rather than what we have been subjected to recently. Even from the bench he has proven his killer passes can win games.

For his debut, I thought Hendrie was fine on Saturday, perhaps not 100% fit but proved he has some quality especially with his deliveries from the wing. Defensively he looks competent too which continues to concern me about Richard Tait, I counted a couple of times again on Saturday alone where he left us seriously exposed. You could argue that this is likely to happen when playing with wing backs but you need to have atleast some level of defensive savy and pace at your disposal.

Cadden hasn't been at his best as of late. I don't necessarily solely blame him I think the system has a lot to do with his form but a game on the bench might be for the best. I'd like to see young Maclean given a chance, I've been really disapointed at the lack of opportunities he and a number of the younger members of the squad have been given. I must say I have seen little from the likes of Demi other than pace to suggest he has more to offer than Ross Maclean for example. We seem to have been paying lip service about how we are going to be giving more young guys chances but I haven't seen this happen since the inclusion of Campbell and Cadden.

Aye, I'm not sure I buy into this "earn the right to play football" philosophy.

If anything, I'd rather we played out football from the start and used our hard men to close out a game. Much better than chasing 1 or 2 goal deficits for the last 30 minutes.

I agree with Robbo, irrespective of how you phrase it. I too like our teams to play good entertaining football but they have to do the dirty work first of A) winning the ball and B) being able to fend off challenges when they are in possession. Ideally you'd want the team to win possession without needing to put in a single tackle or challenge but thats an unattainable ideal. If the opposition have the ball we have to dispossess them somehow and if that means putting in hard (but fair) challenges and closing teams down then so be it. When we have possession we have to be physically strong enough to ward off all manner of tackles/challenges/assaults. Once we have earned the ball or "the right to play football" then we can start to play. Maybe Robbo has got the mix or in some cases the personnel slightly wrong. At the moment we're struggling to win possession and when we do have it there is a lack of creativity.

We need to have Bigirimana in the team. He is our only midfield player capable of doing something other than tackling. Hopefully we will then use our midfield for something other than tackling!

Problem is, of late they haven't been tackling either! I agree though that Bigi has something different to offer. There must be a reason why he hasn't started though.

I agree with Robbo, irrespective of how you phrase it. I too like our teams to play good entertaining football but they have to do the dirty work first of A) winning the ball and B) being able to fend off challenges when they are in possession. Ideally you'd want the team to win possession without needing to put in a single tackle or challenge but thats an unattainable ideal. If the opposition have the ball we have to dispossess them somehow and if that means putting in hard (but fair) challenges and closing teams down then so be it. When we have possession we have to be physically strong enough to ward off all manner of tackles/challenges/assaults. Once we have earned the ball or "the right to play football" then we can start to play. Maybe Robbo has got the mix or in some cases the personnel slightly wrong. At the moment we're struggling to win possession and when we do have it there is a lack of creativity.

And yet, good teams manage to play football in the first 20 minutes.

Look at the way McCall and McGhee had us playing when we were at the top of the table. Take the game to the opponents for the first hour and then hang on if we had to.

The way we play now, we often end up one or two goals down and then have to play catch up in the last quarter of the game.

And yet, good teams manage to play football in the first 20 minutes.

Look at the way McCall and McGhee had us playing when we were at the top of the table. Take the game to the opponents for the first hour and then hang on if we had to.

The way we play now, we often end up one or two goals down and then have to play catch up in the last quarter of the game.

I agree about how we play ie trying to play catch up. All the good teams though have players capable of mixing it and winning the battle first to allow them to play ie Scott Brown at Celtic. Lets not pretend he's in their team because of his footballing talent. you cite Mark McGhee - I can recall a quote from him to the effect that every team needs a player to "stand on heads"

Problem is, of late they haven't been tackling either! I agree though that Bigi has something different to offer. There must be a reason why he hasn't started though.

I really want to see Bigi start (have him in my suggested team over in the other thread). But I think half the pro lemon is that any time he has started he has basically failed to impress for the 90.

He's been great coming on though.

I agree about how we play ie trying to play catch up. All the good teams though have players capable of mixing it and winning the battle first to allow them to play ie Scott Brown at Celtic. Lets not pretend he's in their team because of his footballing talent. you cite Mark McGhee - I can recall a quote from him to the effect that every team needs a player to "stand on heads"

Right, but for me, "mixing it" doesn't mean 60 minutes of slogging it out followed by 30 minutes of football. It means playing our football from the start, when we have the ball, and working hard to press and win it back when we don't.

It's not an either/or proposition.

• Like 1

Right, but for me, "mixing it" doesn't mean 60 minutes of slogging it out followed by 30 minutes of football. It means playing our football from the start, when we have the ball, and working hard to press and win it back when we don't.

It's not an either/or proposition.

Too much sense in that post - calm in down will you.

I really want to see Bigi start (have him in my suggested team over in the other thread). But I think half the pro lemon is that any time he has started he has basically failed to impress for the 90.

He's been great coming on though.

He isnt the ideal player for our plan A. Our midfield is really just bypassed and is there to win the ball back when it doesnt stick with our strikers. That isnt his game.

He has done well when he has came on because A) we have been winning and are wanting to hold onto the ball so are knocking it about with him being key, or B) we have been looking for a goal and our plan A of hoofing it forward hasnt worked so were trying to play through a defence rather than over.

Id like him to start, but only if we are going to use him properly.

• Like 1

Let's get our best eleven players on the park at the one time and stop trying to fit players into a rigid system that means our "better" players have to start on the bench .Would like to see us going at Saints from the kick off and not waiting till we go behind before we muster an attack .Good result is needed tonight let's not kid ourselves which would put us in good heart for Dundee on Sat,we really must start winning our home games to stay away from the relegation places

• Like 2

Let's get our best eleven players on the park at the one time and stop trying to fit players into a rigid system that means our "better" players have to start on the bench .Would like to see us going at Saints from the kick off and not waiting till we go behind before we muster an attack .Good result is needed tonight let's not kid ourselves which would put us in good heart for Dundee on Sat,we really must start winning our home games to stay away from the relegation places

That's a great plan - until you discover your 11 best players playing in their best position means we line up 6-2-2.

Carl McHugh was absolutely rotten tonight. Just thought I'd join the trend of deciding how he's played before he's set foot on the pitch.

Carl McHugh was absolutely rotten tonight. Just thought I'd join the trend of deciding how he's played before he's set foot on the pitch.

while your on the subject, so did I and his passing was total keek , and don't even mention his tackling,he wouldn't be in my team for Saturday, :haha::haha::haha:

Glad we have another game straight away to get over the shitfest that was yesterday.

We need to seriously look at our midfield as we need creativity in there. I would mix things up a bit.

Back to a back four and put Ciftci back into a midfield four. Tanner looks better up front than he does back in midfield where i think he's wasted.

Carson

Tait Kipre Aldred Dunne

Cadden McHugh Campbell Ciftci

Main Tanner

I can't believe this has went unmentioned.

• Like 2

Carson

Kipre Aldred Dunne

Cadds Rose McHugh Campbell Tait

Ciftci Main

Going for a shitfest it seems.

It's a bad day when you look at the line-up and start praying it's a wacky 442 diamond midfield.

Tanner was poor on Saturday (don't know how fit he is) and I suspect Frear isn't ready to start a game yet. But it's still not an eleven to get the pulses racing...

EDIT Having said that. It's the exact same team as the league cup semi-final bar the two strikers and Hartley and all three are unavailable or have moved on...

• Like 1