Scottish Premiership Game 26: St Johnstone (H) 06/02/18 19:45

something else

2nd half performance much improved resulting in a deserved victory. Special mention for the back 3 who are excellent as a unit. Hard working midfield broke up everything from St Johnstone. Main's graft and Ciftci's craft worked well.

Now for the bad - That 1st half was torture. It has been said by many before, winning the battle and creativity do not need to be mutually exclusive. SR needs to find a way to get both aspects of our play on to the pitch at the same time.

• Like 1

Thought there was a real lack of quality in the first half, but the second half we were great. Campbell in particular was at the heart of everything we did, going back or going forward. Andy Rose had a great game as well, always willing to make runs and attempt something, he was everywhere tonight. Thought the wing backs were really ineffective in the first half but got right into the game just before the first goal and made a real difference in the second overall, with Tait in particular doing a great job.

Curtis Main works so hard and shows real touches of quality every now and then and scored a great goal, although, how he missed the 1 on 1 with the keeper I dont know, think he snatched at another one too but in general thought he was good. Dunne did really well in that second half as well and Carson had absolutely nothing to do. Happy with the clean sheet, delighted with the three points and satisfied with the performance.

• Like 1

Second half we were outstanding throughout the full team. Back 3 were solid, big Dunne was brilliant.

We have a right gem in Curtis Main, could easily have had a hat trick. I love the cut of his gib. His work rate is exceptional.

Dunne is certainly going a long way to win over his doubters. Out of contract in the summer? I wouldn't be averse to him getting a new contract.

Laughed when I read what you wrote about Main. Just before I had a look at this thread, I was thinking about Main and the phrase that crept into my head was 'I like the cut of his jib'...

• Like 1

All in all that was a very satisfying evening, the second half performance was as good as we have seen since the cup final and, I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't think that the first half performance was as bad as some are suggesting. Kipre, Aldred, Dunne, Campbell, Tait, McHugh, Rose and Main all performed well, Carson did what he had to do, which wasn't a huge amount, Cadden was looking more like his usual self in that he was taking on and beating his man, though his final ball is still a bit suspect. The only guy who was off his game was Ciftci who looked like he was getting frustrated because nothing was coming off.

One thing I'll never understand though, how the hell did Murray Davidson make it to half time without getting booked? :dash2:

The way Main tries to strike the ball early is a breath of fresh air. He actually looked disappointed he didn't score more tonight but if he keeps on turning bits of space into decent shots he will do very well for us.

First half was forgettable but we at least adapted at half time, pushed men up the park and made a lot of chances. St Johnstone were terrible, usually they are aggressive and clinical but tonight they looked like they didn't give a fuck. They had no attacking threat and seemed to put in less effort as the game went on. I'd say everyone played well other than Ciftci. If Rose played like that more often he wouldn't get the stick he does. Kipre, Tait, Campbell and Main were excellent. McHugh gets stick on here but the amount of balls he contests is immense, that's why he is in the team.

• Like 6

Overseas at the moment and absolutely delighted with the win.

I have noted the posts on here the past few days about all the negative posters and how it gets some people down. Truth is as has been mentioned anyone who is a regular on this site knows who they are and knows to take their posts as a pile of horse manure. Everyone is entitled to this opinion but it is obvious when regardless of the result and performances the negative pish keeps coming.

I picked up on page 3 of this match thread tonight. I read with interest the positive posts from around 18:30 or whenever the team was announced for about half an hour. Absolute comedy gold. Go back and read them - about 6 or 7 posts. All the positivity ahead of the game. How about just waiting and seeeing what transpires before spouting such garbage.

Then again the more things change the more they stay the same. The negative posters on this site will always be the negative posters and there is not much that will change that. Sad I know but hey ho.

Great result and pleased for Curtis Main. 4 goals in as many games. Loved Louis but Curtis is doing his best to make us almost forget. long may that continue.

I don't get the negativity about Robinson making sure we are still in the game at half time and then going for it in the second half. He sees the team every day and maybe just maybe he doesn't think they are capable of pressing and attacking for 90 minutes. I prefer we are still in it and pressing in the second half rather than going flat out at the start and be hanging on in the last 15 minutes to get a result. No doubt

all the FIFA managers on here know better than the guy who was appointed to run the team.

Despite the first half #shitfest Main could have ended up going into the break with two goals. The turn and finish for his goal was excellent, weve found another good one there.

Campbell is some player. Its great to watch him, Cadden and Kipre (plus moult) grow as players. When was the last time we had so many universally liked players in the team? Great to hear Dunne getting good reviews too.

These highlights are the first time Ive noticed how fast demi is. Now we just need to figure out what position he plays.

First half was turgid and someone near me made a pertinent point "when we put the ball on the deck, we actually create something, 5 moves and 5 chances .... amazing eh?"

Main is many of the qualities of Moult, workrate, willing to take a snapshot when others would look for a pass, making a shooting chance from nothing.

Campbell shows behaviour well in excess of his years, glad to see Dunne show composure and I'm encouraged that many more fans are now starting to be educated to what Rose is tasked with.

My only criticism, other than the emphasis on long ball tactics is McHugh. I can't fault his workrate and what he did last season when tasked with playing centre-half. However tonight I witnessed too many sloppy or 50-50 passes. Main had an overlap with him on the left wing in the first half and he played it into the box where Cifcti had to check his run and was pick-pocketed which left me questioning his decision making. His captaincy has maybe secured the minutes played this season.

encouraged to hear it was 90minutes of utter shite

Only if you were a St Johnstone fan Motherwell were the better team the whole game and to be honest never in any danger.

If we had passed the ball on the deck instead of trying to go long 1st half then it would have finished 3 or 4 nil.

Forget the first half the result was the main thing and the team delivered in the 2nd half .As somebody else said when we get the ball down and pass it we are a far better team ,thought Saints were as poor as I've seen them over the years .Looking forward to the Dundee game if we beat them and get a favourable draw we could be back at Hampden

• Like 1

I said on Saturday night that we were marginally less turgid against Partick than we had been against County. Small improvements. At half time lastnight I was thinking the same, still not pretty to watch but may be another little improvement from Saturday. Campbell and Main for me had been standout first half. And then……..
What a turn around in the second half. Night and day. We were pretty much camped in the St Johnstone half most of the game, we played fast, attacking football, we created chances and more often than not we were playing on the deck rather than over the top. Whatever the players discovered, lets have more of that please.
Players, they were all good. Campbell was excellent. Not only was he his usual combative self, but he was driving at the opposition goal, often running with the ball and taking players on. It was great to see. Main was a constant threat and if he keeps going at this rate then no doubt there will be envious eyes on him come the summer. Kipre, solid, had a few adventurous runs going forward and unless I have been asleep for most of the season, he got a new role last night as he was taking all the shy’s on the right hand side. I’ve never really taken to big Dunne, too many mistakes in his early showings but got to say, he’s been really good the last few games. Hope he keeps it up. Not sure how Pete 6 is going to get back into that defence the way things are going……

• Like 1

Tell you what. We really miss Rose when he isnt in the team (Saturday and tonight show that). The man covers a ridiculous amount of ground and is available for every pass going. Some engine he has to get into the box as often in those final 5-10 mins. If that header had gone in he would be my Man of the Match instead of Campbell.

Surely his biggest critics must see why Robinson picks him after tonights performance?

Good luck finding them after a win.