Scottish Premiership Game 27: Kilmarnock (H) 17/02/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

A little unlucky to lose today I think. We didn't do enough to win certainly but a point would not have been undeserved had we managed to snatch a leveller. That's two on the bounce we've lost to Killie and on each occasion we've been culpable for the goal that has ultimately won them the three points.

It was a curious game in several respects. With Frear, Cadden, Tanner, Cifti and Main all involved from the word go it's perhaps as adventurous a starting line up as Robinson has selected thus far this season. Arguably we perhaps left ourselves with little scope for real change later in the game but given that we dominated much of the ninety minutes I'm torn whether Robinson was right or wrong to go full pelt from the start.

It was a pretty entertaining first half all round, albeit we went in behind. Killie had had their chances with a bright opening five minutes in particular and the double block but when they scored it seemed quite against the run of play. Disappointing that it came from a misplaced lay off from Main but difficult to contest it was a terrific strike nonetheless.

As for us we never really made McDonald work overly hard, a theme that would continue for the whole game. Some lovely build up play, good switching of play and generally playing a lot more football than in many games but not really clear cut chances.

Without having seen it back at first glance it seemed incredible that the foul against Cifti did not result in a penalty. We've seen him go to ground fairly easily in certain challenges and perhaps that has gone against him but it seemed so obvious a foul that it folk around us were incredulous at McLean allowing play to continue.

We looked somewhat deflated after conceding but regrouped at half-time and went on to dominate the second half almost entirely. What we didn't really do was threaten and in fairness Killie dealt with everything we were threw at them fairly comfortably.

We certainly didn't help ourselves with what was some extremely wasteful use of the numerous set-pieces that came our way throughout the whole game. Certainly a good bit of work required on both delivery and execution.

The scoreline is additionally disappointing given it pretty much ends our chase for a top half place but there will still some positives to take. Result apart it was a generally decent performance against much lauded opposition. I certainly saw a lot more football played and a better performance today than in some of the games we've won this season.

I had kind of hoped that Dundee were imploding after their midweek loss to Kilmarnock but it seems not given their recovery today. It's going to be more difficult than I might have hoped but next Saturday gives us a good opportunity to get back to winning ways and put a good bit of distance between us and them.

I certainly saw a lot more football played and a better performance today than in some of the games we've won this season.

I actually enjoyed the first half hour and I've not often done that this season.

However the second half performance wasn't great. We dominated but it was all part of Kilmarnock's game plan to sit back and defend the lead and they did that pretty comfortably.

• Like 1

A daisy-cutter from 22 yards separated two piss poor teams in the first half. We were certainly the better team in the second half but as others have said, we could've played until next Saturday and not scored.

Just do not understand or agree with Robinson's infatuation with 3-5-2. We just do not look a balanced side and IMO we've not got the players to play that way. We should revert to 4-4-2 because our four best performances this season came when we played that system - Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic in League Cup and Aberdeen away in the league.

For me, our poorest performers today were McHugh (not a midfielder for me), Rose, Cifti and Frear. Cifti was lazy and more a hindrance and as a result Main was nullified and Kilmarnock's back 4 just coasted along. However when Bowman came on with 20 minutes left the transformation was immediate and terrific. Suddenly the Kilmarnock back 4 didn't know whether their a*ses were tapped or bored as Bowman pulled them all over the place and Main found more time and space to play in than he'd had all afternoon, and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.

I thought Tait, Aldred, Dunne, Tanner, Main and Bowman were our best performers today.

• Like 1

A daisy-cutter from 22 yards separated two piss poor teams in the first half. We were certainly the better team in the second half but as others have said, we could've played until next Saturday and not scored.

Just do not understand or agree with Robinson's infatuation with 3-5-2. We just do not look a balanced side and IMO we've not got the players to play that way. We should revert to 4-4-2 because our four best performances this season came when we played that system - Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic in League Cup and Aberdeen away in the league.

For me, our poorest performers today were McHugh (not a midfielder for me), Rose, Cifti and Frear. Cifti was lazy and more a hindrance and as a result Main was nullified and Kilmarnock's back 4 just coasted along. However when Bowman came on with 20 minutes left the transformation was immediate and terrific. Suddenly the Kilmarnock back 4 didn't know whether their a*ses were tapped or bored as Bowman pulled them all over the place and Main found more time and space to play in than he'd had all afternoon, and was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.

I thought Tait, Aldred, Dunne, Tanner, Main and Bowman were our best performers today.

Just shows you how people see games differently. I like Tanner but thought he was poor today. And I thought Rose had a decent game.

And I'd disagree that we played 442 in any of the league cup games. For me, all of those games were 352 formations...

• Like 1

He added: But ultimately, we put 30 balls in the box and had 12 corners so we should have made more of that. But theres positives to take.

Is Steven Robinson,Craig Brown in disguise its goals that count Mr Robinson not balls into the box

I'm sure he's aware of that given he said "we should have made more of that". Your constant berating of Robinson makes me think that you are Mark McGhee in disguise...

Bowman might have come back just a game too late.

He was absolutely fantastic (couple of poor passes aside) and had he'd played 20 mins last week and got a bigger chunk of time this week we might have got something from today and still be in the hunt for top 6.

Can't wait to see him and Main link up on the coming weeks - assuming Robinson sees things that way.

Just shows you how people see games differently. I like Tanner but thought he was poor today.

I like Tanner as well but I thought he was piss poor today, undone most of his own good work by holding onto the ball for too long and picking the wrong option when he got himself into good positions. He wasn't the only one though- Frear started well but seemed to be actively hiding 2nd half, although towards the end it looked like most of his teammates had started ignoring him anyway. I like big Ciftci but he doesn't really seem to suit the way we play, actually looked more effective 2nd half when Bowman came on.

I can't really fault Robinson, he put out an attacking team and we played some decent stuff at times but lacked that bit of composure and quality in the final third when it was required. Wasn't much between the teams just like at Rugby Park, their boy capitalized on a slack pass from Main and scudded one in off the post from 25 yards and that was the difference. It always looked like it would be decided by a mistake or a moment of magic, it was the latter today and was the former at Rugby Park a few months back.

Best performers yet again were the back three, become expected of Dunne and Aldred recently but fair play to Tait for putting in a decent showing in an unfamiliar position. McHugh done a tremendous job defensively again today but his entire performance seems to have been written off again because of the odd miss hit pass. How anyone could say he was our weakest player today is beyond me.

Should have taken at least a point but didn't, so often during the 1st half of the season these tight games could be swung in our favour by a goal out of nothing by Moult but today we had no one to step up and produce that moment of magic. Even our set pieces, which have been a fairly effective route to goal for us this season, were pretty rotten today and I lost count of the number of wasted opportunities that failed to beat the first man or floated straight into the keepers arms.

I like Tanner as well but I thought he was piss poor today, undone most of his own good work by holding onto the ball for too long and picking the wrong option when he got himself into good positions. He wasn't the only one though- Frear started well but seemed to be actively hiding 2nd half, although towards the end it looked like most of his teammates had started ignoring him anyway. I like big Ciftci but he doesn't really seem to suit the way we play, actually looked more effective 2nd half when Bowman came on.

I can't really fault Robinson, he put out an attacking team and we played some decent stuff at times but lacked that bit of composure and quality in the final third when it was required. Wasn't much between the teams just like at Rugby Park, their boy capitalized on a slack pass from Main and scudded one in off the post from 25 yards and that was the difference. It always looked like it would be decided by a mistake or a moment of magic, it was the latter today and was the former at Rugby Park a few months back.

Best performers yet again were the back three, become expected of Dunne and Aldred recently but fair play to Tait for putting in a decent showing in an unfamiliar position. McHugh done a tremendous job defensively again today but his entire performance seems to have been written off again because of the odd miss hit pass. How anyone could say he was our weakest player today is beyond me.

Should have taken at least a point but didn't, so often during the 1st half of the season these tight games could be swung in our favour by a goal out of nothing by Moult but today we had no one to step up and produce that moment of magic. Even our set pieces, which have been a fairly effective route to goal for us this season, were pretty rotten today and I lost count of the number of wasted opportunities that failed to beat the first man or floated straight into the keepers arms.

A little unlucky to lose today I think. We didn't do enough to win certainly but a point would not have been undeserved had we managed to snatch a leveller. That's two on the bounce we've lost to Killie and on each occasion we've been culpable for the goal that has ultimately won them the three points.

It was a curious game in several respects. With Frear, Cadden, Tanner, Cifti and Main all involved from the word go it's perhaps as adventurous a starting line up as Robinson has selected thus far this season. Arguably we perhaps left ourselves with little scope for real change later in the game but given that we dominated much of the ninety minutes I'm torn whether Robinson was right or wrong to go full pelt from the start.

It was a pretty entertaining first half all round, albeit we went in behind. Killie had had their chances with a bright opening five minutes in particular and the double block but when they scored it seemed quite against the run of play. Disappointing that it came from a misplaced lay off from Main but difficult to contest it was a terrific strike nonetheless.

As for us we never really made McDonald work overly hard, a theme that would continue for the whole game. Some lovely build up play, good switching of play and generally playing a lot more football than in many games but not really clear cut chances.

Without having seen it back at first glance it seemed incredible that the foul against Cifti did not result in a penalty. We've seen him go to ground fairly easily in certain challenges and perhaps that has gone against him but it seemed so obvious a foul that it folk around us were incredulous at McLean allowing play to continue.

We looked somewhat deflated after conceding but regrouped at half-time and went on to dominate the second half almost entirely. What we didn't really do was threaten and in fairness Killie dealt with everything we were threw at them fairly comfortably.

We certainly didn't help ourselves with what was some extremely wasteful use of the numerous set-pieces that came our way throughout the whole game. Certainly a good bit of work required on both delivery and execution.

The scoreline is additionally disappointing given it pretty much ends our chase for a top half place but there will still some positives to take. Result apart it was a generally decent performance against much lauded opposition. I certainly saw a lot more football played and a better performance today than in some of the games we've won this season.

I had kind of hoped that Dundee were imploding after their midweek loss to Kilmarnock but it seems not given their recovery today. It's going to be more difficult than I might have hoped but next Saturday gives us a good opportunity to get back to winning ways and put a good bit of distance between us and them.

Much too sensible, Andy_P. I see the usual nay-sayers are out in force. I actually thought we played better today than for several months. Once Killie got their rather lucky goal, they bedded in and stifled us with their 442. They did the same to Sellick, but there was only one team trying to play football today.

For those who berate Frear as a "shiter", it was his presence which stopped us playing our hoofball/shitefest style, which I really don't like. They doubled up on him because they perceived he represented a danger and it's very hard to get past a packed defence like that. He actually put some good crosses into the box but we didn't get a break in there all day. Perhaps if Cadds had simply squared to Tanner in the first half things would have been different. I felt that, if we could have equalised, we might have gone on to win.

We have played a lot worse this season and won, and we'll probably repeat this at Dens next week.

• Like 1

Clarke better manager at moment as his team can win a game on first half performance. Very rarely do we play well first half. Also what was point in signing Hendrie? C!early not going to fit in as a left wing back and not in a back 3

I sometimes despair of posters on this site. Not all but a fair few

We were the better team today and yes we were powder puff in front of goal. But to say Clarke is the better manager based on a few months. Maybe - but give Robinson some credit for keeping us up last season and playing 10 cup games and winning 9. Not many managers if any have done that before and we still have a quarter final to come.

Oh and finally why does anyone in their right or wrong mind reply to Yodo. He is clearly a pathetic and quite poor troll and needs no encouragement at all.

• Like 1

For anybody too say Clarke is a better manager based on today is just nonsense,we were in total control of the game and had we had a rub of the green we would have won quite comfortably,it was just one of those games that come along every so often that no matter what we did we weren't destined too get anything from.as for Clarke if that's the best killie can muster,thank fuck he wasnt anywhere near the Scotland job.

• Like 1

Bowman might have come back just a game too late.

He was absolutely fantastic (couple of poor passes aside) and had he'd played 20 mins last week and got a bigger chunk of time this week we might have got something from today and still be in the hunt for top 6.

Can't wait to see him and Main link up on the coming weeks - assuming Robinson sees things that way.

Yep, I can see the two of them doing very well together. Look we deserved at least a point today and one stray pass cost us. Killy are right up there as the form team of the division but in truth there was little between the two teams. We had the majority of both possession and attempts on goal but lacked that extra bit of quality on the day, fine margins on a few occasions today. If we carry on like that we will finish the season just fine.

For anybody too say Clarke is a better manager based on today is just nonsense,we were in total control of the game and had we had a rub of the green we would have won quite comfortably,it was just one of those games that come along every so often that no matter what we did we weren't destined too get anything from.as for Clarke if that's the best killie can muster,thank fuck he wasnt anywhere near the Scotland job.

Holy actual fuck Batman! Behind Saint Brendan, Steve Clarke is the best manager in Scottish Football!!

Thats based on him being one of the most respected coaches in the uk, a manager who guided West Brom to 8th in the Premiership and guiding a Killie team who struggled under McCulloch to top 6 so far with a 56% win ratio. To even compare Clarke and Robinson is utterly hilarious

• Like 2

I thought we played pretty well today. Certainly the best football I've seen from Motherwell this side of the winter break. Despite losing I actually enjoyed the game.

Excluding the first few minutes of the game our back line were completely untroubled.

I was pleasantly surprised by the midfield today. Andy Rose had a really good game, as did McHugh. They put themselves about and at no time were they overrun by the Killie midfield.

Ciftci was quiet in the game. He has a good touch and is capable of making things happen, but I don't think that we have the players that can link up with him. Generally there is very little movement in the team, which makes it very difficult for ball players to find a pass before being crowded out. I think this is also part of the reason that Tanner holds the ball so long too. Though I would agree that there were a few occasions today where he had early and better options to release the ball.

The only real failure today was Frear. Sorry, but he just doesn't seem to have the heart for a physical challenge. He hid through much of the game today. He also had an chance to close down the shot for the Killie goal but stood off.

• Like 1