Scottish Premiership Game 29 : Aberdeen (H) 03/04/18 19:45

ECOSSE1991

Some causes for concern regarding our goal scoring and win ratios but none of that is news to anyone. Regardless of what’s at stake or whether we’re safe, it would be good to get at least a couple of wins in the last 6 games. I’m certain targets will have been identified for the summer about strengthening the team.

I’ve ran the numbers and I can’t find a scenario, even if we lose every remaining game, where we finish lower than 10th. Perhaps someone could confirm?

There’s a good thread over on P&B discussing all this.

2 hours ago, milo said:

I’ve ran the numbers and I can’t find a scenario, even if we lose every remaining game, where we finish lower than 10th. Perhaps someone could confirm?

There’s a good thread over on P&B discussing all this.

I agree, there is probably still a perfect (or not?) set of results that could see us finish 11th, but would involve one of Thistle or Ross county winning every game post split, and us not picking up a point in 6 games. With everybody below us beating everyone above them. :lol:

I think a few are going a bit over the score here in regards to overall performance.

Tuesday night was an awful match and pretty much summed up Aberdeen and their ability to scrap out 3 points against the 'lesser' teams in the league. Contrary to BBC Scotland's opinion I thought they were pretty much as bad as us for periods of the first half.  We were awful yes and it isn't as 'unlike us' as Robinson made out but I think we need to look at things as a whole this season.

If you had offered any of us 7th in the league, a League cup final and a Scottish Cup semi-final we would have bitten your hand off. I understand our form has been pretty bad and the product on the park not the best but a bit of perspective is required. This time last year we were down 5-1 at home to Dundee and were having to endure Zak Jules and co. We have come a long way since that time.

Robinson has put a team on the park who will compete, are hungry and will work tirelessly for the fans. Clearly we need to improve drastically if we are to progress against Aberdeen but the potential is there. You only need to look at the Celtic game and first half against Rangers to see that. Yes we need to improve our consistency but the target was to avoid relegation and we have achieved that. Hopefully we can hold on to the majority of this squad and add some players with greater technical ability for next season.

Top 6 would have been nice but give me 2 trips to Hampden over that any day.

I tend to ignore any BBC Sportsound comments concerning Aberdeen. Over the last few years I’ve just become more and more annoyed with their pro-Dons bias. It also seems to have intensified since their spat with “The Rainjurs”. The programme should be renamed Donsound! Their main match seems to feature Aberdeen every 2nd week. The impartial” host is a Dons fan and don’t we know it.  And Willie Miller’s input is as dour as the granite city itself and so biased - and of course he totally disagreed with Robinson’s post match analysis on Tuesday - no surprise there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pronounced Kenyrd Skunyrd said:

Just a wee post script to my previous BBC Radio Sportsound comment....The Dons Radio cheerleader Richard Gordon gleefully announces today “Good afternoon from BBC Sportsound today we have full live commentary featuring Aberdeen”.....AGAIN. GTF BBC Radio Donsound & choose another game FFS!

Don't worry, if you miss the commentary, BBC Alba is showing the Aberdeen game later.

The only reason there is so much Aberdeen on the radio is because the bbc is still banned from Ipox 
Agreed however Hibs especially could have more coverage.....increasingly i find myself not even listening when it wasnt that long ago you rushed back to your car to get a comprehensive post match round up from all the games. The quality of the pundits and their analysis is poor. Especially Millar and Bonner

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's comparing apples and pears of course and a forty-five minute or hour long podcast is a far cry from a three or four hour live broadcast but in much the same way that fanzines and latterly online blogs shattered the illusion that football writing was the preserve of a select few so too has the explosion of some really insightful and interesting podcasts, be they Motherwell, Scottish football, English or European,  illustrated how poor some of the mainstream radio debate and discussion is by comparison.

I really look forward getting the wee notification through that a new episode of something like James Richardson's Totally Football Show or On The Continent is ready to listen to. Allan Preston getting excited about finding some dugshit on his shoe or Chic Young pointing at planes on Radio Scotland a little less so.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

It's comparing apples and pears of course and a forty-five minute or hour long podcast is a far cry from a three or four hour live broadcast but in much the same way that fanzines and latterly online blogs shattered the illusion that football writing was the preserve of a select few so too has the explosion of some really insightful and interesting podcasts, be they Motherwell, Scottish football, English or European,  illustrated how poor some of the mainstream radio debate and discussion is by comparison.

I really look forward getting the wee notification through that a new episode of something like James Richardson's Totally Football Show or On The Continent is ready to listen to. Allan Preston getting excited about finding some dugshit on his shoe or Chic Young pointing at planes on Radio Scotland a little less so.

I find myself in the same boat. Perversely though some of the podcasts I look forward to are produced by the BBC (Euro Leagues Podcast or 5 live's football daily) which makes me feel that the problem might be BBC Scotland and its parochialism. 

Sid Lowe and Rafael Honigstein or Pat Bonner and Willie Miller? Hmmmm, I wonder...

• Like 1

I’m slightly biased as I’ve been a huge fan of The Football Ramble since about 2010 but On The Continent is fantastic. There’s so much good stuff out there that’s just lightyears ahead of what we get that I couldn’t tell you the last time I listened to Sportsound or Off The Ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Sid Lowe and Rafael Honigstein or Pat Bonner and Willie Miller? Hmmmm, I wonder...

The big difference there is that the first two are professional journalists and authors. That's why the quality of sport coverage on telly and radio has been dropping. Sticking a footballer in front of a microphone and expecting them to be insightful isn't likely to produce a good result. Of course there are one or two exceptions, but even after all these years,  Gary Lineker still sounds like he's reading from the autocue.