Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15

Yabba's Turd

13 minutes ago, valegro said:

There is now a suggestion that the red card was for the initial challenge

Did Thomson blow for a foul? I thought he played on.

Also, Brown lunged in and Kipré looks to pull out of the challenge slighlty and Brown catches his standing leg.

The suggestion was apparently on radio  Didn't hear it myself but a friend told me about it.  There is a photo on BBC website of Cedric with studs showing  Doesn't look good. Maybe if this is the case Thomson will claim he was initially trying to play advantage and that's why he didn't blow for a foul.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

Skippy nailed it:

If the ref had seen Brown's shove it was worth a yellow, but you get taught retaliation's a red card when you are 5 years old. 

Yes, but who is doing the retaliation?  In my view both Brown and Kipre ought to have been issued with yellow cards or a stern talking to but to issue one with a red and the other with nothing is downright wrong.  Thomson made a complete mess of it end of. 

We thoroughly deserved our point with perhaps Carson saving our bacon.  He never put a hand wrong.  Our defence did well but perhaps Tait, Campbell and Main were the others to shine that little bit more.  Once Campbell puts on another stone in weight he'll be a colossus in midfield.  He battled for everything and drove us  forward. I thought we were the better side in the first half until the sending off turned the game.  If we had a couple of faults in the first 45 it was our lack of cover out wide.  MacGregor was given the freedom of our right flank.  Also, we were very reluctant to tackle in our own box, probably for fear of conceding a penalty.  Tait did very well but had little cover in front of him.   Main put in  a great shift up front largely on his own, and he's certainly a very strong lad.  

5 minutes ago, valegro said:

The suggestion was apparently on radio  Didn't hear it myself but a friend told me about it.  There is a photo on BBC website of Cedric with studs showing  Doesn't look good. Maybe if this is the case Thomson will claim he was initially trying to play advantage and that's why he didn't blow for a foul.

I don't know if that is true or not but if it is why wasn't Brown red carded for retaliation? 

32 minutes ago, valegro said:

There is now a suggestion that the red card was for the initial challenge

That can't be right, for what ts worth I think it was a red card as you cannot use your feet in that way, remarkable that Brown went un-punished

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Great 2nd half performance and special mention to Main and Dicky . The man is a legend . Red card a disgrace but let's focus on the workrate of 2nd half. McHugh dodgy at times but in my opinion the weak link is Great. One trick pony and needs to up his game big time

Who, man of the match Tait?

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

That can't be right, for what ts worth I think it was a red card as you cannot use your feet in that way, remarkable that Brown went un-punished

I am only putting forward what is now being suggested  I agree with Orinoco. The offcials wll say anything to justify their actions. If we think we will be treated in the same way as Celtic and Scott Brown in particular. That will never happen

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, but who is doing the retaliation?  In my view both Brown and Kipre ought to have been issued with yellow cards or a stern talking to but to issue one with a red and the other with nothing is downright wrong.  Thomson made a complete mess of it end of. 

We thoroughly deserved our point with perhaps Carson saving our bacon.  He never put a hand wrong.  Our defence did well but perhaps Tait, Campbell and Main were the others to shine that little bit more.  Once Campbell puts on another stone in weight he'll be a colossus in midfield.  He battled for everything and drove us  forward. I thought we were the better side in the first half until the sending off turned the game.  If we had a couple of faults in the first 45 it was our lack of cover out wide.  MacGregor was given the freedom of our right flank.  Also, we were very reluctant to tackle in our own box, probably for fear of conceding a penalty.  Tait did very well but had little cover in front of him.   Main put in  a great shift up front largely on his own, and he's certainly a very strong lad.  

also thought big bowman put a shift in 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

Can any of the stat men on here (Ya Beezer) work out how many times Carl McHugh has been booked after his tackle. It’s unbelievable that this happens however the wee rodent Brown usually takes about 6 or 7 to be spoken too. 

and the same McHugh keeps winning  balls then thinks hes got 5 mins to play with it but he KEEPS getting it robbed off him , when will he ever learn we nearly lost a goal in the 2nd half because of it  

When Tait was remonstrating with Broon after the incident,  the latter  did a stamping motion as justification for the sending off. I don't buy the studs up theory and the tackle happened in front of me in the POD. There will be desperate attempts by some in the media to obfuscate but a surprising number of them seem to have been critical of the decision.

As usual with these controversial decisions against The Ugly Sisters, you have to ask yourself, had the roles been reversed, would the Celtic player have been sent off?

Kinda sums up Scottish football for me at the moment. Just waiting for Robinson being cited for his comment to Chic Young when asked if he thought we should have had a penalty in the second half.

Words to the effect of, "I haven't seen it back on video but I know we wouldn't have got it."

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Thomson suggested it was a stamp, which it obviously wasn't, so presume he has sent him off for violent conduct. If so, he needs to look at the laws of the game as there was no excessive force involved in the clash. This should have resulted in a yellow card. For both.  "Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball." 

One of the performances of the season all things considered I think.

A terrific response to the disappointment of last weekend and we looked a much better balanced team with another striker alongside Main and a lot more width than was evident at Hamilton.

I thought we were unfortunate not to be ahead by the time Kipre was red-carded.  Main was unlucky with the header, and it was interesting to see the power generated in his free-kick too. Bowman was also unfortunate with his volley.  Add in the amount of times we were getting crosses in, forcing errors deep inside their own half and the few chances they had been limited to it was a very encouraging start to the game for us.

And then the sending off.  From my perspective it looked retaliation at the time as you could see Kipre's foot in the air but having seen clips since it seems incredibly harsh, though hardly surprising.  The evidence speaks for itself over an increasing number of game that we need not do very much at all to coax Mr Thomson into action.  

The second half was just a wonderful example of what can be achieved when you have organisation, determination, good players who are on it, and of course a wee bit of luck.  Early on it seemed like it was going to be only a matter of time but we grew into the game more and more as the half wore on.  For a minute or two I even had a wee feeling it was going to be one of those special afternoons but whilst that never quite materialised I think all concerned  can be proud of their efforts. 

I must admit it for all the chat about new scoreboards and screens I was pretty happy I was in blissful ignorance as to how long was left as that second half wore on.  It was only when the injury time was announced it dawned on me how little time was left and the nerves really kicked in, albeit we'd a few close shaves before that.

In truth I think the result means little in terms of top six, if not perhaps league position, but it sends out lots of signals to McInnes who was there and to Celtic themselves should we have a further encounter with them at Hampden in May.  We've had two draws against them this season but I think it says much about our performances against them that I still don't quite think we've had the rewards our displays against them have meritted.  It would be so so sweet were we  to make good on that in the Cup Final.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valegro said:

Anybody know the exact situation if Cedric's sending off stands?  How many games does he get?

Not sure but with his disciplinary record I would imagine it could be a three game ban, on that basis alone I think it might be worthwhile to appeal the red card, although not hopeful of a positive result, but we maybe lucky that we might get someone that supports Rangers and hates Brown might make the decision!!

Just watched the highlights and I think Thomson has given the red card for the initial challenge. When Kipre steps over Brown with his right foot, he seems to stand on Brown's right thigh. It looks clumsy and accidental but when you see Thomson's positioning on the field it is a possible explaination. 

Very harsh decision regardless.

1 hour ago, star sail said:

Just watched the highlights and I think Thomson has given the red card for the initial challenge. When Kipre steps over Brown with his right foot, he seems to stand on Brown's right thigh. It looks clumsy and accidental but when you see Thomson's positioning on the field it is a possible explaination. 

Very harsh decision regardless.

It is NOT for the initial challenge. Look at the video, Thomson doesn't react until the "stamp" that he thinks he sees. He runs past the initial clash then goes back to it. 

22 minutes ago, brainier said:

It is NOT for the initial challenge. Look at the video, Thomson doesn't react until the "stamp" that he thinks he sees. He runs past the initial clash then goes back to it. 

Yes, thats it.  Thomson clearly and erroneously gives a red card for a "stamp", which never took place.  Having watched the highlights, Brown brings Kipre down in the challenge (not necessarily a foul BTW).  The initial challenge seems fine to me.  Brown then pushes Kipre in the chest and as far as I can make out Kipre stretches out his leg and Brown falls back down and rolls about.  I'm not even sure that Kipre made any contact at all.  I certainly don't think there was even any intent to do so.  In hindsight Brown should have been yellow carded for simulation and perhaps psuhing Kipre in the chest.  Kipre should not have been punished.  

Given Thomson's record against us this season (Dunnes red card at Perth rescinded; Kipre's dismissal at Hampden; and now this) we now have rightful cause for concern.     

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 30 :Celtic (H) 18/03/18 14:15