Ross MacLean

gullane

Any recent insight as to why Ross MacLean is not making the first team squad? From his very limited chances off the bench, he has showed willingness to run at defences and create opportunities. Most recent games have had two strikers named as subs -  Petravicius and Newell on Sunday. If there is a need for a plan B, would the MacLean not offer another option. I know he is not a carbon copy of Tanner but he showed potential previously.

I have wondered if given the same opportunities as Cadden, MacLean might too have developed into a significant club asset. Has he slipped back in form or does Robinson simply not rate him?

I think its more Robinson probably doesn't rate him, I have liked to see him get a chance but bar his winning goal in the betfred cup in dingwall he's not really featured a great deal since then.  Always thought the boy had talent, the 4-3 game with Celtic was a prime example of that when he set up Moult for a goal and his performance that day was very good.

Unless he has picked up a knock, it I’d looking increasingly likely his future lies elsewhere. Having said that, the injuries in midfield are piling up a little so hopefully he gets another shot.

From memory, he was starting to feature as a right wing back for the u20s, which is never his position. 

I went up to the pre-season friendly against Stirling Albion and for me only two players really stuck out that day...MacLean and Kipre. One has kicked on and made a name for himself, the other has kicked his heels in the stand most weeks. 

I'm not sure why that is, but I'd imagine Onthefringes will have the inside knowledge on that one.

I know Maclean, went to school with him, Robinson has him playing 20s games in which he is constantly one of the better players in the side. He asked to go out on loan, the manager said he's in his plans and doesn't want him going anywhere, so he's kind of stuck in a dead end, don't know what he has against him but it's certainly not his attitude or form as he's been standout in 20s games

20 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I went up to the pre-season friendly against Stirling Albion and for me only two players really stuck out that day...MacLean and Kipre. One has kicked on and made a name for himself, the other has kicked his heels in the stand most weeks. 

I'm not sure why that is, but I'd imagine Onthefringes will have the inside knowledge on that one.

Would agree with this as well. He did well wide for us last season, but playing in the middle he looked terrific, if against relatively lowly opposition.

I wondered if he might get some game time now that Tanner is out, I hope so.