Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Phil O'Donnell played in the Cup Final when he was 19. I'd have no qualms about bringing in one of the 18 year olds as cover. Semple seems to be the hottest prospect, but Agyeman or Falconer might be better options.

I seem to recall Frear has also played as a striker in the past, and while we'd need to change our shape a bit, we could go 3-5-1-1 with Frear sitting in behind. 

Or maybe Newell can play with a protective mask. Or one of our midfielders could move up top.

In the old days, your centre half used to be able to put a shift in a centre forward too, but I'm not sure that applies these days!

The worst thing we could do is bring in a free agent. That is a terrible message to give to the players that have got us to the final, and the players pushing for a first team spot.

Regardless of what we think, I imagine our management team is already working on the option for the worst case.

Depends who that free agent is. If there is no-one out there that has a history or pedigree that suggests he could do a job if required then fair enough. But with 3 strikers / forward players unavailable we are sailing very close to the wind.  If there was someone who could be relied upon from the 20’s then fine, but as far as I am aware none of those strikers in the 20’s have been involved as much if at all in the 1st team squad this season. 

We are talking one individual and the squad would know exactly the reasons why he was being brought in. A gamble yes but we have very limited options without Bowman and Main for such a crucial game...

So we'd want a free agent that wasn't cup tied that was physically fit, match fit, good enough to start but not good enough to be currently employed that could fit into our system within a couple of weeks?

I'd rather play a Frear/Rose front pairing than risk that. 

• Like 2

#AnnounceAnichebe 

The first name that came to my head too

Other than him, I wonder what that Dieter Van Tournhout fella who scored the winner for Killie against Celtic in the LC final is up to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Dezz said:

The first name that came to my head too emoji1.png

Other than him, I wonder what that Dieter Van Tournhout fella who scored the winner for Killie against Celtic in the LC final is up to...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick look at Wikipedia says he's playing in Belgium, a couple of leagues lower than Esteban Casagolda (seriously).

On 15/04/2018 at 7:57 PM, Happy Dosser said:

Just so.

Like almost everyone here, I don't like Kick 'n' Rush and we rarely see the C&A version  but our players have a tremendous team spirit which comes from the manager. I'm sure he felt he was just building a team  to scrap and survive this year and that he could gradually add the  fantoosh frills later. We've had much better football teams in the past, from the Ancell Babes on, who won absolutely nothing.  Result: "many heartaches".

This XI is super fit and tough and never give in and we may have some footballing surprises up our sleeve when we play The All-Conquering Ones/Sons of The Saint. The team will be prepared in a highly professional way and if we can get the first goal, who knows?

Behind  the smirk and  Perma-tan, Brendan may be secretly worried that our organisation and commitment can derail The Great Sellick Dream.

Imagine an upstart "physical" wee Diddy Team doing that: the stuff of his nightmares.

I have seen many big games where we play the opposition off the park with nice football and lose. Martin Corrigans gift to Celtic in the semi final, Graham Forbes last minute header shaving the post in another semi final against Celtic, John Phillibin skying his penalty in the shoot out again against Celtic in a semi ..in each game we played well with nice football we got the plaudits and duck all else. I am ready for being awful to watch and being winners....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I have seen many big games where we play the opposition off the park with nice football and lose. Martin Corrigans gift to Celtic in the semi final, Graham Forbes last minute header shaving the post in another semi final against Celtic, John Phillibin skying his penalty in the shoot out again against Celtic in a semi ..in each game we played well with nice football we got the plaudits and duck all else. I am ready for being awful to watch and being winners....

Phillibin didn't sky his penalty. It came back off the inside of Hampden's old square woodwork. 

Just now, FirParkCornerExile said:

the point remains the same he missed it and we got fuck all

We played good football to win the Cup in '91 (and in 1952 I'm told), so I'm still not sure your point stands. We've won nothing with this style, and didn't make the top 6. When we were finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league we played better football than this too.

So I'll be delighted as anyone if we do Celtic over next month, but that just means we are 1 out of 3 in winning Cups "ugly". It definitely has it's place, and served us well for parts of this season, but it rarely sustains any level of success.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

We played good football to win the Cup in '91 (and in 1952 I'm told), so I'm still not sure your point stands. We've won nothing with this style, and didn't make the top 6. When we were finishing 2nd and 3rd in the league we played better football than this too.

So I'll be delighted as anyone if we do Celtic over next month, but that just means we are 1 out of 3 in winning Cups "ugly". It definitely has it's place, and served us well for parts of this season, but it rarely sustains any level of success.

We've won one major trophy in 65 years we have bottled it and failed many times at the semi final and final stage my point is I dont give a flying fuck how we play as long as we win the cup. We can play the biggest pile of shite, I dont care. Ill take silverware over plaudits any day. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Lets be honest if we beat Celtic on 19 May by playing a way that would see football banned not a single person on this forum will give a shit.  

I would prefer us to win it by pure shitehousing so I could then spend the next week bathing in the seethe.

• Like 4