Scottish Cup Final v Celtic (Hampden) 19/05/18 15:00

something else

20 minutes ago, maxywell said:

I part own a shop in Mwell and suggested putting a few flags up but they decided it could be bad for business as there are a fair few Celtic supporting customers.I reckon a few places will feel the same.

Its a difficullt situation for local businesses isn't it Ally?  They're damned if they do and damned if they don't but if they they want to trade as local businesses they have to take some kind of position.  If I lived in Motherwell & Wishaw and saw a shop displaying our cup final opponents' shirt in their window I'd be inclined to take my custom elsewhere.  Likewise if they weren't prepared to display anything  claret and amber I'd also feel perfectly justified in taking my custom elsewhere.  These are very dark and difficult days for retailing as you'll know every bit as much as me and I think small businesses need to trade on and promote their local identity.  I'm afraid in this situation they're going to upset some of their customers irrespective of what they do or what they don't do.  

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Some shops looking good but Thimbles on windmillhill street has Motherwell and Sellik colours...eh?

Allegedly they do all the alterations to Kieran Tierney's clothing and felt obliged to dress the window in both - who cares this is Motherwell, not the East End of Glasgow. Screw pandering to the oft offended. @maxywell get the flags up mate - if the 'Plastic Paddies' are going to be that pathetic - they're not worth having as customers in the first place (similar could be said for your business partners :wink:). Delighted that Boots and Auld's amongst others haven't taken such an insular attitude

Well done to NL Council for at least showing support for the local team - which is more than can be said for some local businesses - Greggs to name but one.

6 hours ago, maxywell said:

I part own a shop in Mwell and suggested putting a few flags up but they decided it could be bad for business as there are a fair few Celtic supporting customers.I reckon a few places will feel the same.

Grow a set of balls. Your shop is in Motherwell, not Glasgow.

• Haha 2

Your havin a laff . Those open minded ,honest upstanding members of the scottish community. Aye right. They have probably orginised a fans display at the final naming and shaming aforementioned shop.  

• Haha 1

If people are going to get offended because a shop has a banner of a football team then they really need to get their heads checked and places need to stop pandering to them. It's bad enough people threatening to boycott businesses because of their political beliefs. I highly doubt people are going to give a shit with C&A displays. 

I would really like to attend the game but due to financial constraints I can't. Really hope we cuff them. 

The thing about Aulds and Boots as well as most shops in the town centre is they have more than one shop so the possible loss of a couple of customers doesn't matter.We also have fewer customers but bigger sales so the loss of one or two would be noticeable.If it was up to me i'd have a 10ft flag in the window. :lol: I will however be sticking a flag in my own window.

1 hour ago, DunnyMFC said:

If people are going to get offended because a shop has a banner of a football team then they really need to get their heads checked and places need to stop pandering to them. It's bad enough people threatening to boycott businesses because of their political beliefs. I highly doubt people are going to give a shit with C&A displays. 

I would really like to attend the game but due to financial constraints I can't. Really hope we cuff them. 

The problem is that some customers of small local shops expect their businesses to support the local community.  Many of these small businesses also expect the local population to support them. 

6 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The problem is that some customers of small local shops expect their businesses to support the local community.  Many of these small businesses also expect the local population to support them. 

I agree a shop (if they wanted to)  in Motherwell should just  have MFC memorabilia to support the local team in a national competition and not worry about "causing an offence". I wouldn't stop visiting a local shop in East end of Glasgow if it had Celtic stuff.  

We live in a society with snowflakes who just want to get offended at anything and people pussy footing around  which is enabling them.

• Like 2

It’s really about the town getting behind the local team. Like you would hope they would do for an Olympic athlete or someone who can bring some pride to the local community, some positive feel good factor.  Unfortunately We are still tainted by this whole religious bigotry and stratification that, somehow, it is a problem for the local community to get behind the local team for fear of upsetting a few people who base their football team allegiance on religion. Sucks!

• Like 2

Last time we won the cup we won our last home league game three nil . Think the team pretty much picks itself . Only change from semi final will be mchugh in for the injured rose .  Pretty ok with that as there’s loads of energy in that starting eleven . Bench could be stronger but it is what it is . Roll on Saturday . Let’s get it on  and bring that cup home 

I don't care how shite we play or how Jammy we might be or how dirty or whatever as long as when the final is done the cup is coming back to FIR PARK. Let's see if Karma really works. 

Having said that, I do hope we play a blinder, shut them out and score a few goals.

COYW!!

• Like 1

We have had a very positive finish to the season ( St Johnstone game aside).

We now have a clear week to mend any minor injuries and focus on the final.

I think we should take consolation in the fact that this team has risen to the occasion for big games on every time of asking this season.

I have no fear that we will bottle it.

As long as everyone is fit and we get a fair shake of the dice from the officials, we have every right to be confident.

Believe. Time for new heroes!

• Thanks 1