Cup Final Strip

Lenin the Parakeet

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

The phrase "modern twist" should be banned from all design studios (and restaurants).

You need to move with the times Weeyin or you would just be constantly producing the same stuff over and over. I believe subtly is the key when paying homage to classic tried and tested deigns. Design experimentation is for third kits.

36 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

You need to move with the times Weeyin or you would just be constantly producing the same stuff over and over. I believe subtly is the key when paying homage to classic tried and tested deigns. Design experimentation is for third kits.

It's not updating things I object to. It's the "modern twist" phrase which is, more often than not, used as an excuse to add some ridiculous feature to an existing design and call it new to sell you the same thing twice. Same with food where "modern twist" means sticking chocolate on your steak and serving it on a reclaimed roof tile.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It's not updating things I object to. It's the "modern twist" phrase which is, more often than not, used as an excuse to add some ridiculous feature to an existing design and call it new to sell you the same thing twice. Same with food where "modern twist" means sticking chocolate on your steak and serving it on a reclaimed roof tile.

No I would never do that. Updating shirts to a more modern collar or tailoring them to a present day look would be the extent of my ‘modern twist’. For what it’s worth I wasn’t a fan of our recent ‘denim’ away shirt shirt, however, I do accept the trend for adding faux texture to a design has become popular. I suspect this textile treatment will be a fad and it won’t be long before designers revert back to the tried and tested look. Umbro have been one of the few companies who have championed the classic look and long may that continue.

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

generally that will please the majority of fans and players. 

I don't think that part could be more wrong. Most players especially these days would rather something athletic and form-fitting, without loose baggy sleeves etc. Your average fan then moans about being too fat to wear it. To please both fans and players you'd need a fan shirt and a player-issue shirt, and I doubt we could afford that.

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

I don't think that part could be more wrong. Most players especially these days would rather something athletic and form-fitting, without loose baggy sleeves etc. Your average fan then moans about being too fat to wear it. To please both fans and players you'd need a fan shirt and a player-issue shirt, and I doubt we could afford that.

Isn't that basically what we get? The shirts issued to the team are made of different materials from the ones us plebs can buy, so presumably they're off a different production line anyway.  (Or at least, that's what the clubs who sell both versions claim, to justify one being twice the price of the other...)

1 hour ago, numpty said:

Isn't that basically what we get? The shirts issued to the team are made of different materials from the ones us plebs can buy, so presumably they're off a different production line anyway.  (Or at least, that's what the clubs who sell both versions claim, to justify one being twice the price of the other...)

Entirely unrelated to the cup final/new shirt chat but this has put me in mind of something that I'd been wondering for a while.

I picked up a sponsorless version of the 09-10 Canterbury shirt a while back and it's an elastane fabric (in the same vein as Kappa etc) rather than polyester which is what the other replica versions of the same shirt are tagged as.

It's legit tagged and everything but it's got a number on the back but it's not printed on it's actually part of the jersey which seems a bit weird. Similarly the Canterbury logo is embroidered on the replicas but it's part the shirt on the elastane one.

Anyway, at the risk of going off on a tangent I was wondering if anyone on here knew the script?

Bootleg Motherwell shirts seem like they'd be a pretty niche market. Did we have a different player issue version of those shirts?

FWIW: fan of the form-fitting jerseys here.

capt_oats - Yeah Canterbury were the one company that did both versions, although the player-fit sold out really quickly, and it only happened once.

Numpty and UBH, as far as I'm aware the players wear the same stuff as the fans, although I could be wrong. Even though I only wear one for playing 5's I absolutely detest loose-fitting football tops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Numpty and UBH, as far as I'm aware the players wear the same stuff as the fans, although I could be wrong.

This article covers the sort of differences you typically see between "authentic" and "replica" kits: https://www.soccer.com/guide/authentic-vs-replica-do-you-know-the-difference. Don't know if this is the case with Macron, but I'd guess it is.... authentic tops usually retail nearer £100.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm aware of the differences...if I buy a replica top for 5's I always pay extra for the player-fit version. I just don't think it applies to clubs at our level. As I say I could be wrong but i'd be surprised if we were anywhere near eligible for that.

10 hours ago, Al B said:

Yeah, I'm aware of the differences...if I buy a replica top for 5's I always pay extra for the player-fit version. I just don't think it applies to clubs at our level. As I say I could be wrong but i'd be surprised if we were anywhere near eligible for that.

It would be a shame if our players lost out by not having player-fit shirts. Professionals need professional gear to possibly give them an extra edge. I wonder what their opinion is on our current shirt if it isn’t player-fit and just a bog standard replica?

On 5/8/2018 at 4:39 PM, Al B said:

That's why your average fan (young people or those who play sports aside) should do what I do, and just buy a nice club polo shirt and accept that fact that the days of fitting into something like the modern football tops are long gone.

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

We have a cup final strip?

The home kit that we use this season is away being embroidered so I doubt with a brand new kit being released there will be many spares of the existing kit kicking about.

I didn’t mean a new strip.....I thought that we’d be able to buy this seasons top with cup final script on it......maybe not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JordanMFC said:

I didn’t mean a new strip.....I thought that we’d be able to buy this seasons top with cup final script on it......maybe not.

I think they’ve pretty much run out of this seasons kit to do that, but are hopeful of having the new kit on sale next week....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

That’s a pity. Any idea what the hold up is? 

Flow tweeted yesterday that a new sponsor is all but signed up (I assume new).  If it is not yet finalised then I assume they cannot release new strip as I would also assume Macron would add sponsors name to all the shirts ? You also wonder about McEwan Fraser. If they are our sponsors for this season would they want another sponsor to get exposure before Cup Final. Unless the deal was up until last league game of the season ? 

Either way if they were available for sale before Cup Final I am sure that would mean shifting a few hundred more than they are likely to next season. So commercially it would make sense to get them on sale before next Saturday.