Scottish Premiership Game 35:Dundee (H) 28/04/18 15:00

Yabba's Turd

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Anyone know why we were wearing the away kit today ?

It’s likely just a commercial thing. Unless there is a kit clash there is no requirement to wear anything other than your home kit. One of the reasons why I like to see our away kits featuring both claret and amber as I always like to see them appear in some form.

Fair enjoyed that today. A win is a win and 5 in 5 v Dundee is a huge bonus. As is big Cedric goal we have all been waiting for. 

Of course we were not great and when are we ever.  I felt we started the 2nd half well and were the better team.

Ya Bezzer and Steelboy obviously expect us to play football akin to Man City with our meagre resources. How else can you explain their overly negative posts match after match.  The 2 of them do my head in.  They should both take some happy pills or something stronger. Maybe we should employ them in our PR team. We would be left with 3 fans and a dog. Muppets. 

Grimmy is looking more like the player he was first time around. Any injury is a worry but I think we managed to get thru the game today with a few worries but nothing permanent. 

Three points for the win and job pretty much done. We are in the top flight next season and anything else we achieve is really a bonus.

We  know we are not world beaters, but, in our league, it is amazing what team togetherness, hard work and organisation will get you.

Hopefully we can keep focused for the remaining fixtures and secure as high a finish as possible, and the cash that goes with it. Then we can really concentrate on giving it a proper lash in the cup final.

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Probably a contractual thing - have to wear it so many times in a season. (Or they have some to shift in the club shop).

I think you're right. I've seen other clubs have to shoehorn in wearing a third strip on occasion simply because of a contractual obligation that says if they want to sell it, they have to wear it a minimum number of times.

I found yesterday altogether more satisfying than one ordinarily would in a game that meant comparatively little to us when set against some of post-split fixtures we've played in recent times.

How utterly delightful to send McCann, McGowan et al back up to Tayside snivelling and whining all the way.  I see some post-match attempts at deflection going on (again) from McCann but if I were him I'd be absolutely fizzing with his side for failing to take anything from yesterday.

I don't know if I'd agree with Stephen Robinson that we conceded against the run of play.  I thought started shakily, they should really have scored after about 15 seconds, and routinely made chances against us throughout the half.  Some strong claims around us in the East Stand at half-time about the ball going out of play before their goal and some foul play in the box (haven't seen the highlights yet), but surely rule number should apply here - you play to the whistle.  We didn't appear to do so and were punished for it, potential officiating errors notwithstanding.

We had of course hit the post by then ourselves and it was important that we got level so quickly.  It looked a pretty well worked set piece at first glance.  We got a real boost from scoring and the intensity rose until the Bowman injury.  I'm afraid that just seemed lunacy that he remained on the park as long as he did before going off.  It's not even a case of being wise after the event he never improved beyond limping and if there was any doubt whatsoever he should have been straight off.  It has been my major fear since the Semi-Final about either Main or Bowman getting injured given our paucity of options up front  and we've now seen both succumb to varying degrees.

Second half I was actually very impressed with our tempo and how much control we had until the last 10-15 minutes.  Wonderful to see Cedric finally get his goal and the resultant two or three minute celebration but apart from that one occasion where their double-barrelled named loanee, whose name escapes, me had his shot blocked after he mis-controlled I was pleased how much of the game was being played in their half. 

It kind of fell away a little, perhaps co-incidentally - or perhaps not, when Allan Campbell went off but we showed good resilience to complete the job with Bigi hounding McGowan and forcing him to retreat, retreat, and retreat once more as he attempted to launch a final attack a great way to finish the game.

All in all a great win in a game that had much more meaning for our opponents than ourselves.  I didn't think James Scott had a massive impact in all honesty but his development will be a lot better for his experiences yesterday and I was particularly impressed with the mobility that Grimshaw showed.  He has always had tenacity and doggedness but I think his sharpness has really benefited from his recent regular inclusion and his performances gone up a lot as consequence.

A good afternoon.

• Like 1

An important win for us that ensures our mathematical safety, although it was never really in doubt.  A strange game that Dundee tried to outmuscle us but came off second best.  No doubt thats whre all the bizarre post match claims that we were dirty originate from.  We had a tricky start but came close once or twice but Dundee were a real threat at set pieces and crosses and we looked uncharacteristically disorganised at the back.  Caulker and co were causing aerial mayhem in our box, taking advantage of slack marking. Ironically the their goal looks like a clear handball and I'm expecting Neil McCann to highlight that today or tomorrow  (ahem).  

Importantly we recovered quickly and score the equaliser.  Lke a few others I thought Bowman should have been taken off PDQ as he was clearly struggling. We then had a good spell early in the second half and it was great to see Cedric score his first for us.  After that it was batten down the hatches time but we held out to claim 3 just deserved points.  

I though the ref was pretty poor from start to finish and got a barrowload of minor decisions wrong (and also Dundee's goal but perhaps that was hard to spot).  I don't know whay Moussa wasn't shown a yellow or even red card for hii shocking tackle on Tait.  Not a dirty game bit some of the Dundee lads were just a bit quick to hit the deck at times and Caulker escpaed scot free for his persistent manhandling of Scott and Main. 

MacGowan's meltdown at the end was downright odd and he was picking fights with everyone.  Surely he warranted a second yellow card?  

A good team performance and it was good to see Scott and MacLean get more game time. hopefully injuries to Bowman and Grimshaw aren't serious.  Overall, Kipre, Aldred, Dunne and Grimshaw caught the eye.   I'd like to see us secure Aldred on alonger deal. 

Now we're safe we can concentrate on getting deals done.  League wise we will beat last season's position of 9th and that in itself will bring a little more cash. 

1 hour ago, stuwell said:

If we don’t pick up any more points and I’ve correctly worked this out, then the worst we can finish now is 9th. If Hamilton and Dundee draw against each other or drop any points then we’re 8th. 

Yes.  For this scenario to occur we need to lose our remaining 3 games and either Hamilton or Dundee need to win 3 out of 3.  Then it would be down to goal difference and we currently enjoy that advantage.

4 hours ago, stuwell said:

If we don’t pick up any more points and I’ve correctly worked this out, then the worst we can finish now is 9th. If Hamilton and Dundee draw against each other or drop any points then we’re 8th.  Only StJohnstone can stop us getting 7th

Given that we are 10 goals ahead of Dundee and 16 in front of Accies I don't think we Will be any lower than 8th, but fully expect to remain in 7th.

One of the better performances of the season and an entertaining game overall. 

I was most impressed with our fight and desire when Dundee were trying to get back into it midway through the second half. We looked exceptionally well organised with the high press. I'm hoping that was something that's been worked on for the final.

Edit: Should also add, think James Scott deserves a mention. 17 years old and making his debut. Struggled with winning balls in the air but thought he looked very comfortable and strong with the ball at his feet. 

• Yabba's Turd changed the title to Scottish Premiership Game 35:Dundee (H) 28/04/18 15:00