Scottish Premiership Game 38 :Hamilton Accies (H) 12/05/18 14:15

Yabba's Turd

A great end to the league season and I'm happy to admit I was wrong about finishing in 7th position.  After a dire result last Saturday we picked ourselves up and produced 2 wins and 2 shut outs. 

Today was particularly pleasing as we rightly rested a good few players and gave some gametime to youngsters.  Accies, as Ithought they would, chose to field a fairly expereinced side but despite that our inexperienced team produced the goods and impressed.  Grimshaw, Aldred, Tait, Bigi and Ciftci all looked good and I was disappoined that the latter didn't score his hat trick with that wonderful shot that shook the crossbar.   However it was the youngsters that caught the eye with commendable performances from the likes of Turnbull, Maguire, and MacLean.   Good to see Liam Brown emerge as well.  We really do have a conveyor belt of talent coming through just now and I'd like to see them develop next year along with the unfortunate James Scott.  It was a crying shame that he missed out today.  The only player who didn't really shine today was Elliot Frear, a player that I normally like.   Today was an absolutley huge test for Barry Maguire who had to recover from his St Johnstone nightmare and he passed this test with flying colours.  

We played a different tyope of football today; possibly more suited to Ciftci's talents and he impressed with an array of twists turns and tricks. A special word too for Liam Grimshaw.  After an unremarkable season he's begun to impress of late and again today he turned in an energetic performance.  Only downside for me was the non appearance of Peter Hartley but probably he just wasn't fit enough to make the bench.  

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

The only player who didn't really shine today was Elliot Frear

Sadly, this has happened too often of late. Can’t put my finger on what the issue is - he has had plenty of game time recently but has looked lethargic, lacking in confidence and  generally poor.  Had a chance yesterday when he was through with only last defender to beat and was dispossessed way too easily. At no point did anyone around me think that the end result would be any different. Shame as he showed promise when he arrived but has not done enough for me this season.

4 hours ago, gazzetta19 said:

Sadly, this has happened too often of late. Can’t put my finger on what the issue is - he has had plenty of game time recently but has looked lethargic, lacking in confidence and  generally poor.  Had a chance yesterday when he was through with only last defender to beat and was dispossessed way too easily. At no point did anyone around me think that the end result would be any different. Shame as he showed promise when he arrived but has not done enough for me this season.

I like Frear but suspect that he just doesn't fit our system. 

Stephen Hendrie also had a good game I felt, ciftci and grimshaw were different class. Maguire and aldred never lost a ball in the air. As for the youngsters though, I think it speaks volumes about there performances that they went unnoticed, slotted in very very well. Turnbull unlucky not to have got on the score sheet

11 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Burrows was tweeting about the average age of the squad during the week...while taking a small amount of stick at the amount of non-scots in the squad

I think if any clubs were to receive stick for none  Scots it should be  Celtic and Rangers.

25 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think if any clubs were to receive stick for none  Scots it should be  Celtic and Rangers.

Not normally one to defend Celtic but its hard to argue that Scots havent been integral in their recent successes. Their players are also integral to the national team......

Gordon, Bain, Tierney, Hendrie, Brown, Armstrong, McGregor, Forrest, Griffiths

5 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not normally one to defend Celtic but its hard to argue that Scots havent been integral in their recent successes. Their players are also integral to the national team......

Gordon, Bain, Tierney, Hendrie, Brown, Armstrong, McGregor, Forrest, Griffiths

If you look at both Celtic and Rangers over the last 10 years I would argue they have not supporters the development of Scottish football.

2 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

If you look at both Celtic and Rangers over the last 10 years I would argue they have not supporters the development of Scottish football.

Aye over last 10 years its a fair enough comment. I was thinking more about the current criticism of our club and comparing who they currently have in their first team. No doubt Celtic and Rogers in particular have been good for the national team. Hopefully our academy boys will develop and prove to be equally important.

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

What's to like ?

From your several posts about him in the past you've clearly formed your opinion of him and those are very unlikely to be changed, which is fair enough.

For me he had done everything and more that could have been asked of him since he arrived up until the injury at the start of the season.  He had produced several assists towards the end of the season when he came into the team, got that all important goal against Killie last season and grabbed a couple of late winners in the League Cup games against Edinburgh City and Berwick.  But it's just been stop start and never happened for him since between injury, never quite getting the necessary level of match sharpness and it has to be said questionable form.

I'm sure that when he when was persuaded to head north it would not have been with a vision of playing left wing-back nor is it a position that I think that gets the best from him.  But he has proven himself to an adequate stand-in, in the role and provides the necessary versatility as and when we do go with four in midfield.

Next season is a big one for him though.  He has to make a bigger impression or he's going to find himself increasingly more vulnerable as the likes of Livingstone and Hastie return to the club with a hunger for more first team action following their respective loan spells.

• Like 4

Saturday was brilliant, couldn't have hoped for much better tbh. Key players rested, youngsters showed their worth and some great football was played.

I was really impressed by Turnbull, Maguire and Maclean. I really hope they are given a chance next season to properly emerge. I genuinely think we could cut some fat from the squad and let these guys push through to the first team.

There is something really satisfying about seeing young guys push through. I also thought we played more football than a lot of games this season.

I appreciate that these are one-off games and I might be a bit biased because they are young Scottish boys but I think these guys are more deserving of a chance rather than the likes of Demi and Newell etc. In terms of pure technical ability the young guys coming through seem to be a better standard than some of the boys brought up from down south. I guess perhaps our playing style sometimes prefers raw attributes over ball skills sometimes. It's really encouraging to see the likes of Turnbull come through and looks to be really gifted on the ball.

It was really good to see a positive crowd through too, gave the players a great send-off for the final.

On 13/05/2018 at 12:56 PM, Andy_P said:

From your several posts about him in the past you've clearly formed your opinion of him and those are very unlikely to be changed, which is fair enough.

For me he had done everything and more that could have been asked of him since he arrived up until the injury at the start of the season.  He had produced several assists towards the end of the season when he came into the team, got that all important goal against Killie last season and grabbed a couple of late winners in the League Cup games against Edinburgh City and Berwick.  But it's just been stop start and never happened for him since between injury, never quite getting the necessary level of match sharpness and it has to be said questionable form.

I'm sure that when he when was persuaded to head north it would not have been with a vision of playing left wing-back nor is it a position that I think that gets the best from him.  But he has proven himself to an adequate stand-in, in the role and provides the necessary versatility as and when we do go with four in midfield.

Next season is a big one for him though.  He has to make a bigger impression or he's going to find himself increasingly more vulnerable as the likes of Livingstone and Hastie return to the club with a hunger for more first team action following their respective loan spells.

Should be nowhere near Fir Park next season only filling a shirt and stopping our young players getting an opportunity to play first team football . What I will agree with is like you I'll bet he never thought he would be a left wing back so thats not his fault but he really does lack talent and on Saturday with cup final places up for grab he failed to come up to the mark