The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

So at the time of writing we know...

IN

Nobody confirmed as yet

OUT

Luke Watt, Nadir Cifti (loan return) and Stephen Hendrie (loan return)

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS

Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, Ryan Bowman, Richard Tait, Andy Rose, Liam Grimshaw and James Scott. And probably others I've forgotten about.

Close season now open for business...

• Haha 1

Left wing back and strikers are a priority.  To me, Main and Bowman are too alike in terms of their type of player.  A big question mark too over Carl McHugh.  Our captain being hooked after 55 minutes in a cup final???? (Didn't think he picked up a knock).

40 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

So at the time of writing we know...

IN

Nobody confirmed as yet

OUT

Luke Watt, Nadir Cifti (loan return) and Stephen Hendrie (loan return)

CONTRACT EXTENSIONS

Charles Dunne, Cedric Kipre, Ryan Bowman, Richard Tait, Andy Rose, Liam Grimshaw and James Scott. And probably others I've forgotten about.

Close season now open for business...

The biggest name missing off your list is Aldred (loan return). Petravicius contract ended - doubt it will be extended.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dossertillidie said:

A left back, couple up top, and I would imagine a couple of keepers would be what I’d be looking for. 

Looking forward to seeing who we bring in but glad we have the nucleus of a decent side for next season

I would not say no to someone coming in who could control central midfield but realistically with the numbers we already have it’s not going to happen.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Left wing back and strikers are a priority.  To me, Main and Bowman are too alike in terms of their type of player.  A big question mark too over Carl McHugh.  Our captain being hooked after 55 minutes in a cup final???? (Didn't think he picked up a knock).

Game just completely passed him by sadly. 

Im hoping for a new deal for Aldred, Attacking Cm, Left wing back and a striker for Main to play off. Plus a backup keeper if Griffiths goes.

You can see from the contract renewals, were going for 3-5-2 long ball dirge again next year so Im not hopeful of the attacking cm. We already have Campbell, McHugh,Rose & Grimshaw signed so its 3 defensive lads in the middle and speculative hoofball to the strikers again. It got us to 2 finals but unfortunately it also doesnt work against teams remotely competent.

However, this could turn into another major rebuild now! In addition to the 4/5 named above, I doubt we will see Carson & Kipre next season, and I wouldnt be surprised if we got bids for Dunne, Cadds & Campbell. Also wouldnt be surprised to see Bigi leave and join a club who appreciate his talents. 

So going by that, hopefully 4/5 new faces to take us up a level, but very possibly 10+ new faces! Interesting 2 months ahead

I assume Griffiths will be gone, as I think he was on a 1 year deal. Does Frear still have a year? How about McLean?

Also think Newell and Petravicius were on one year deals.

Unless Livingstone and Ferguson are good to go, I see us bringing in a left back and a backup goalie. 

Two qualities we need to improve on is quality and pace. A Marvin Johnstonesque forward/winger playing alongside Main/Bowman might allow for a bit more creativity from the likes of Bigi, Cadden and Turnbull.

Regardless how long Carson and Kipre remain, I think we all know there will be another keeper, left sided defender and striker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I assume Griffiths will be gone, as I think he was on a 1 year deal. Does Frear still have a year? How about McLean?

Also think Newell and Petravicius were on one year deals.

Unless Livingstone and Ferguson are good to go, I see us bringing in a left back and a backup goalie. 

Newall was on a 2 year deal.

21 minutes ago, gullane said:

The biggest name missing off your list is Aldred (loan return). Petravicius contract ended - doubt it will be extended.

You're right of course.  Hence the reason for my very deliberate "others I've forgotten" get out of jail card... :biggrin:

In truth Aldred fitted in so seamlessly and approached his time at Motherwell in such a professional and committed fashion that, not for the first time, I actually forgot he was just on loan.  It's the way of the game these days that loan moves are so common but whether through level of performance or for the way they've "got" our club some live in the memory longer than others.  He's perhaps not quite Ruddy or Jutkiewicz English Premiership/Championship level of quality but he's right up in that bracket of terrific loan signings.

Hope we can make it a permanent deal over the summer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gullane said:

Two qualities we need to improve on is quality and pace. A Marvin Johnstonesque forward/winger playing alongside Main/Bowman might allow for a bit more creativity from the likes of Bigi, Cadden and Turnbull.

Yep pace is one thing that's sorely lacking the squad. We had it in Frear last season however since coming back from injury he looks like a shadow of the player he was.  If he can't physically or mentally get back there, then unfortunately he doesn't bring much to the squad.

26 minutes ago, Shaka said:

You can see from the contract renewals, were going for 3-5-2 long ball dirge again next year so Im not hopeful of the attacking cm. We already have Campbell, McHugh,Rose & Grimshaw signed so its 3 defensive lads in the middle and speculative hoofball to the strikers again. It got us to 2 finals but unfortunately it also doesnt work against teams remotely competent.

I'm not so sure. Once Tanner returns we'll have that bit of quality in an attacking midfield position. 

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Its not impossible that some players under contract could be shipped out to clear some space.

Robinson has shown he can be utterly ruthless in that regard, so I think it's safe to say we'll see a few contracted players go. 

20 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

You're right of course.  Hence the reason for my very deliberate "others I've forgotten" get out of jail card... :biggrin:

In truth Aldred fitted in so seamlessly and approached his time at Motherwell in such a professional and committed fashion that, not for the first time, I actually forgot he was just on loan.  It's the way of the game these days that loan moves are so common but whether through level of performance or for the way they've "got" our club some live in the memory longer than others.  He's perhaps not quite Ruddy or Jutkiewicz English Premiership/Championship level of quality but he's right up in that bracket of terrific loan signings.

Hope we can make it a permanent deal over the summer.

The amazing thing is Bury fans think he’s rubbish, must have been surrounded by some awful players to look that bad.

17 minutes ago, CoF said:

Robinson has shown he can be utterly ruthless in that regard, so I think it's safe to say we'll see a few contracted players go. 

I could see SR doing this with Bigi and Frear. It would be a huge call to take McHugh one side and tell him to go. Perhaps offering the captaincy to someone else might help McHugh. Hartley seems to have the character to lead the team on the park.

7 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

The amazing thing is Bury fans think he’s rubbish, must have been surrounded by some awful players to look that bad.

It's a curious thing. He's obviously a half decent player and when you factor in the level of commitment, determination and desire he shows you would think those would be qualities and characteristics you would desperately want to have in a side battling against the drop. But seemingly not. 

7 minutes ago, gullane said:

I could see SR doing this with Bigi and Frear. It would be a huge call to take McHugh one side and tell him to go. Perhaps offering the captaincy to someone else might help McHugh. Hartley seems to have the character to lead the team on the park.

I've seen Hartley's named mentioned as Captain a few times. He's definitely a leader on the park but there's far more to the role than firing the players up on a Saturday. I honestly think he's a wee bit too mental for it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CoF said:

I've seen Hartley's named mentioned as Captain a few times. He's definitely a leader on the park but there's far more to the role than firing the players up on a Saturday. I honestly think he's a wee bit too mental for it. 

I would ha e thought Tait would have been the natural successor, wouldn't say no to Hartley though.