The Small-Medium Rebuild 2018'19

Andy_P

23 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Having seen a few things about Tony watt floating about I wouldn’t be against giving him a pre season and chance to impress. He does still look in decent shape and could add something to our team albeit possibly as backup.

Is he not meant to be signing for Aberdeen? Pretty sure he was training with them for the last few months. 

I'd be surprised if we started the season with a different system from one that was so successful last season. When you look at our defensive record it would a bit of a shock to change this unless there was significant outgoings. I think the system plays to our defensive strengths. It has served us very well, I wasn't a fan of it initially but I think it's been proven to work very well. There has been a definite resurgence in the 352 both in the SPFL (and in Europe) the likes of Celtic and St Johnstone used a variation of it for example.

With that being said this system is clearly at the detriment to the likes of Cadden and Frear so maybe Robbo will make a decision to try something new to adopt a more expansive style. This though is a bit of a balancing act as reverting to a 4 at the back leaves one of the 3 centre backs out which arguably was where we were most strong last year.  Only thing I can think of that would suit the 4 is moving Dunne to left back (which was meant to be his natural position) I personally prefer him left of a 3 however as his pace bailed us out of a lot of sticky situations last year.

The only real problem I see in continuining with this system is where Chrissy Cadden plays. IMO he has been pretty pish any time I have seen him through the middle, I don't think it suits him or the team in general. To me, Cadden needs to be a winger in an advanced position running at full backs, not a wing back and not a central attacking midfielder. I think Cadden should always be a nailed on starter so to me the only option is he continues in the RWB position with Tait staying at LWB. I'm not sure ATS is here as a 100% starter but I would have thought the idea was to get Tait on to his natural side.

The good thing about this debate is we now appear to have more options in terms of system. Obviously it remains to be seen but it appears on the face of it that we have greater strength and depth.

Has anyone heard anything on the Aldred side of things? I know we have 3 solid centre backs but I would be surprised if we haven't atleast tried to recruit him. Was a big fan of him last year.

• Like 1

On your last point, I'm led to believe Aldred never had any intention of being here any longer that he was, and that was made very clear at the outset. It was a mutually beneficial arrangement for both parties. We got his services, and he got a shop window to get him out of his current club and into another that's reasonably local to him. Relocation up here was never on the table.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dennyc said:

Replace Frear with Taylor-Sinclair and bring in Dunne and I could go with that. Given his form after the Winter break I just cannot understand why anyone in their right mind would dump Dunne. Seems like there are still a lot of haters out there, irrespective of how he performs.

But I think Robinson will definitely start with McHugh and I'm not convinced Johnson is here to sit on the bench. Also I suspect Tanner will need time to get properly match fit.

But isn't it refreshing to have decent options. Good luck Mr Robinson

I would go with that, I only really put the names in for demonstration. Either way, even if nothing else happens with transfers, we would be well represented in this formation.

6 hours ago, Lukemfc1 said:

I'd be surprised if we started the season with a different system from one that was so successful last season. When you look at our defensive record it would a bit of a shock to change this unless there was significant outgoings. I think the system plays to our defensive strengths. It has served us very well, I wasn't a fan of it initially but I think it's been proven to work very well. There has been a definite resurgence in the 352 both in the SPFL (and in Europe) the likes of Celtic and St Johnstone used a variation of it for example.

Pretty much agree with that.  If it isn't broken why fix it?  Our defence played pretty well.  That said, its only right that we work on weaknesses and that will involve changing some personnel in midfield and up front.  Last season we often complained about lack of creativity, pace and ball retention in midfield and Robbo seems to be addressing that.  I'm not in favour of playing one striker up front unless you have the right personnel and I don't think we do....just yet.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supermarv said:

We haven’t signed any wingers of sort so it suggests to me that we will keep it the same

Not yet, but Robinson mentioned he was still looking for a winger and a striker.

I asssumed when he said about bringing another wide player in, he was referring to Taylor-Sinclair. However, if we’re still after another forward, whether that be a winger or a centre forward or a bit of both, that would leave us with a very versatile squad with a plethora of options. Already quite optimistic about our season at this point, but another player in that area and I’d be delighted. 

Should we sell or release some of our players, (Carson I’d imagine is a near certainty to go) then I think we’ll have players in mind to replace those outgoing. All in all, very content at this stage.

8 hours ago, fizoxy said:

He def said that he needed another winger and striker, or someone who could do both. Just like Petravicius. 

He didn't. People have just heard that statement and conflated the striker and 'wide player' remark and assumed he meant a winger.

What he actually said was that "we're possibly after one more striker, one more wide player or one that can play both would be great" there was no mention of a winger. I took his comment about "one that can play both" as a joke. The fact he laughed after he said it was a bit of a giveaway tbh.

That's not to say we won't end up signing a forward who can play wide but it's wrong to say that Robinson stated he was after a winger. As CSmith says I'd have taken ATS to be the wide player he mentioned in that interview.

14 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

I interpreted the interview differently and thought if we were to sign one norward, it would ideally be someone with a bit of pace that can do a job wide. A O’Halloran style player. 

Aye. That may well be how it pans out in the end. We'll just need to wait and see who actually signs but either way there was no explicit mention of a winger.

8 hours ago, CSmith said:

I asssumed when he said about bringing another wide player in, he was referring to Taylor-Sinclair. However, if we’re still after another forward, whether that be a winger or a centre forward or a bit of both, that would leave us with a very versatile squad with a plethora of options. Already quite optimistic about our season at this point, but another player in that area and I’d be delighted. 

Should we sell or release some of our players, (Carson I’d imagine is a near certainty to go) then I think we’ll have players in mind to replace those outgoing. All in all, very content at this stage.

Someone ban CSmith he's to contented not a good thing on here 

Pre

31 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

It's gone very quiet here. Not sure if that's good or bad. When does the window close so we know who we have at least till January?

Our pre-season window runs from 9 June – 1 September. The English decided to start earlier (so they could close it earlier), so they are 17 May – 9 August.

So plenty of time to lose players yet...

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

It's gone very quiet here. Not sure if that's good or bad. When does the window close so we know who we have at least till January?

I think we have done business exceptionally early in the close season, not the Motherwell way in times gone past, the club would sign players as close to the limit so as not to have to pay them over the summer when there was no turnover. Changed days.

5 hours ago, Yodo said:

Looks like Cardiff have cooled their interest in Trevor ( if there was any ) they have bid for QPR keeper Smithies and expect to sign him 

Another half a season with Carson between the sticks will do us no harm.  Having said that,he deserves his chance at a bigger club and, as such, I sincerely hope he gets the move he deserves at some stage.

3 hours ago, The African said:

Another half a season with Carson between the sticks will do us no harm.  Having said that,he deserves his chance at a bigger club and, as such, I sincerely hope he gets the move he deserves at some stage.

I can see this being another Randolph situation. Us scratching our heads how we did not get a decent offer for him. Hope not as he would appear to be our most saleable asset as the moment. Clearly if he was playing for a 2nd division French side or in the English championship he would be bought for multiple millions by another club in English top flight or abroad.  Does not seem to apply to unfashionable Motherwell.....

He is an excellent keeper and could cope with a much bigger move. I mean if Karius is one of the benchmarks !  

Would not be the worst thing for him to stay on at Motherwell from a fan point of view, but truth is we probably need to cash in at some point. 

As others have said, there is still loads of time to sell him back down South in this transfer window...with us bringing in Gillespie (who won't be here to sit on the bench, because that'll be Fergusons job), I think the Club themselves know that its only a matter of time before a decent bid comes in.