The George Stevenson Stand?

bobbybingo

The usual talk of 'Time for new legends' in the run up to both finals this season got me thinking about one old legend, George Stevenson, and wondering why the club has never named a stand in honour of him. When you read the statistics, you've got to wonder if anyone else (other than Sailor Hunter, mibbe) could lay claim to being our greatest/most successful servant.

As a player: 573 appearances in 16 years.  Played in the side that won our only League Championship in 1931/32 and finished runners up 4 times & 3rd on 3 occasions. Scottish Cup runner up 3 times.

In a 9 year spell as our manager, 4 finals, including our first Scottish Cup win and only League Cup success to date. To put that into perspective, we've only made 5 finals in the 63 years since then. He also led us to a 2nd Division title.

It's unlikely anyone living saw him as a player, and there won't be too many left who saw the teams he managed, but come on, the South Stand's sitting there waiting....

• Like 1

I would suggest the “ Stevenson and Ferrier” Stand. They were some double act by all accounts. Previously, the argument against has been the money we can make by adding a sponsors name, the Motorola Stand etc. I can see the point if we are making enough money out of it, but I do like the idea of honouring the great servants of our club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

I'm pretty sure I wrote an article in One Step Beyond about this, are some of the corporate suites not named after former players now?

Did wonder if there was something like that, but the fact that we don't know if they exist or not kinda shows how low key a tribute that is/would be. I suppose you could argue the case for loads of players and mibbe one or two managers, but for a guy to have been so successful as both is unique. 

4 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Stephen Robinson is said to be a bit miffed you're potentially limiting him to the standby generator building between the Hunter and Cooper, he has high hopes

And yet, Harri Kampman gets a pie stall named after him.