Season 2018-19 home and away kit thread

underboyleheating

Sensible post. Very unfair to criticise Flow/the club over this. Wish folks wouldn't jump to critical mode as a default position.

My understanding is that we had agreement on a sponsor all but signed and sealed but a last minute hitch meant we had to look at other options. These things happen and all Flow said is he hoped to showcase the kits as he would have been working on the assumption of no hiccups. Plus he was being asked the Q at the time by the fans. He could say nothing and would get more grief. In many ways a no win situation. 
Hopefully we get a decent sponsor and strips when the dust settles. 

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Shaka said:

When it does come, Im hoping for understated and classic. Amber top wi Claret Hoop, White Shorts and Black Socks please!

I used Macrons online kit design service a while back and posted this 50s style throwback kit based on one of their templates. Retro is not for everyone, however, a teams historical kit archive will always have an influence on kit designers.

244xwr4.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

I used Macrons online kit design service a while back and posted this 50s style throwback kit based on one of their templates. Retro is not for everyone, however, a teams historical kit archive will always have an influence on kit designers.

244xwr4.jpg

Retro, or timeless? I would be happy with that, this year, next year, any year.

10 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

244xwr4.jpg

Spoiled by the fan dan multi-coloured boots our stars normally wear...

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Spoiled by the fan dan multi-coloured boots our stars normally wear...

I agree it’s the scourge of the modern day game. With the World cup on the horizon, too many players will accessorise their national kit with unnecessary fluorescent footwear. 

15 hours ago, The African said:

Retro, or timeless? I would be happy with that, this year, next year, any year.

For me it’s a timeless kit, and we won the Scottish Cup in 1952 wearing something similar. However, kit designers and clubs will always have an eye on the youth market as they are the target for the majority of their replica sales. Some manufacturers/clubs managed to bridge the gap between  a teams historical kit and modern design and some have failed miserably. I believe tradition is important especially on a teams home kit, as when ignored for a period of time a club can lose their identity. As I’ve stated before I would always insist on a full claret hoop of some description on our home kit. Teams like Boca Juniors, Celtic always insist on a full hoop/hoops and I believe Motherwell should follow suit. A full hoop removes the ‘it’s only an advertising band’ tag and makes it an integral part of the design.

Regarding UBH's retro mock up: just had a multiplied organism :rolleyes:

I've always found it strange that a club with a unique design, a single hoop, mess about with it so much, sometimes reducing it to a feeble advertising band, or removing it completely.   Huge clubs like Boca Juniors of Sellick don't do that. We also have (almost, Bradford City  excepting) unique colours. Combining the two makes us pretty special, yet we seem almost ashamed of our history.

Even Hearts, with a simple shirt, have rarely strayed from their classic maroon with white facings. They tried an Ajax-style jersey in the 70s from memory but it didn't go down well with the fans.

White shorts would be great but are surely negotiable/changeable annually. Those old black socks with ACA turnovers ain't never going to happen, I fear, but hooped ones are pretty acceptable.

I dread to think what we're actually going to get.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

Those old black socks with ACA turnovers ain't never going to happen, I fear, but hooped ones are pretty acceptable.

Interestingly the use of C&A hooped socks is relatively recent as prior to 2013 none of our home kits had them. The first time we used black socks with an amber turnover was November 1928. The last time we used black socks with C&A turnover on our home kit was in season 56-57.  Sometimes it’s good to have a nod to previous kits and a one off use of black socks would not be unjustified as we wore them on and off for nearly 30 years.

Tend to agree that white shorts are a no no. Back in the day almost every club had either white or black shorts. Now shorts can be any colour and as far as I am concerned our colours are claret and amber which is almost unique (Bradford only) and those are the only two colours that should be on our strip.

Ultimately though, most people only buy the top, so the shorts and socks are irrelevant in terms of shirt sales. 

Just for clarity, I’m an old (fat) fart, so I don’t buy replicas, just occasional t-shits or polo shirts, but I do like the traditional hoop. 

• Like 1

I know it’s not a popular view but I just don’t get the whole push for the constant hoop and white shorts thing. White shorts with claret and Amber were of their time and that time was a very long time ago. Indeed, such a long time ago that it was the middle of the last century. A lot has changed since then.

Also, and this more down to personal taste, I really don’t like a ‘well home shirt to have a white collar. The two xara efforts with white collars and white shorts are amongst the worst kits we’ve had. The are only trumped by that template puma mashup mess of 13/14.

• Sad 1

On 08/06/2018 at 11:28 PM, sinjy said:

Tend to agree that white shorts are a no no. Back in the day almost every club had either white or black shorts. Now shorts can be any colour and as far as I am concerned our colours are claret and amber which is almost unique (Bradford only) and those are the only two colours that should be on our strip.

White shorts and black socks were part of our kit long before claret and amber.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clackscat said:

I understand Flow has tweeted sponsor announcement by early next week and strip unveil shortly after. Think he called the new strip somewhat unique and he is delighted with it. Big build up!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

OMG: I can't take another jester's outfit.....