Alan Campbell Stats

weeyin

The Scotsman runs a weekly article on "4 Interesting Stats". One of the ones this week is about Campbell.

Alan Campbell loves getting after opponents

The leading mischief-maker in the aforementioned midfield trio was the highly-impressive 19-year-old.

The best player on the park in his side’s 2-0 win over Ross County, Campbell then successfully subdued John McGinn in Motherwell’s come-from-behind draw with Hibs. Confidence shooting through him, he once again got the upperhand against some of the more recognisable names in the league, hounding Aberdeen’s players throughout the match.

Right now he currently leads all players in the Ladbrokes Premiership with 14.77 defensive duels per 90 minutes, which is almost two per 90 minutes better than his closest competitor.

What can I say? He loves to chase after opposing players, and he isn’t afraid to put in a tackle either.

Impressive.

Like someone else suggested, the last player I can remember that played anything like Campbell was Scott Leitch. Considering he is just starting starting out, he'll soon surpass the quality of Leitch if he keeps going the way he is going.

In general I think we have a much more naturally aggressive team this year which makes Campbell's stand out performances even more impressive.

I first seen Campbell at an u20s game against Aberdeen towards the end of the Baraclough era. Came away thinking we had 2 special players on our hands in Campbell and Cadden. Cadden's pace and power was obvious while Campbell oozed composure and tenacity. I was particularly struck by how much effort Lasley was putting in to coaching Campbell throughout the game as if he was developing his own successor.

Listening to Faddy on the radio the other night, he said Campbell should have got much more game time after the Accies game but they decided not to do so for his own protection because the team was so poor. Great to see him get a run of games now and come out on top against McGinn and McLean. He'll inevitably hit a lull but the options in midfield should allow the club to manage his development perfectly.

• Like 1

One of his best assets is his controlled aggression: his timing of the tackle is excellent and there is no flying-in like Scott Brown when he was a young, psycho right back at Hibs.

Just what I was about to post. Whilst hard, young Campbell doesn't seem to have a nasty edge to his play.

Good wee video here which shows how much of a nightmare he must be to play against.

https://twitter.com/TheSPFLRadar/status/909455174896406528

Also worth pointing out that he's excellent with the ball at his feet and is a pretty tidy passer as well. Nothing spectacular but just keeps it simple and effective to get the ball out of danger and move the game on.

Excellent video clip showing his energy and tenacity. He'd really get on your nerves and you wouldn't have time to get your head up to make a good pass.

Just noticed there's lots of Dossers on this site. Think I'll change my name to Samantha Smoothcalf.

Nice Mr Moderator Man: if you change your name, do your stats start from scratch again?

So if McGinn is worth at least £2.5m , you have to say Campbell is a £3m player!

Great start by the young lad. Just hope his/his family's heads arent turned too early by the inevitable transfer speculation and interest from the ugly sisters/england

Don't worry, his family are exactly the sort of people to keep him grounded. Lovely people with a realistic outlook and values. Just the sort of backing you need for a young player.

I wasn't really, it was a throw away comment, made in the context of the debate about who should fill Scotland's midfield in the light of our recent discussions on how well Campbell is doing and how far he may go in the game, or in other words, a joke.