Michael Higdon

El Grew

Unless I'm mistaken I have now read in two separate newspapers that Michael Higdon wants to stay with us. He's sending the club a message and I hope the club are picking it up. He's on track to equal if not pass the club's post-war goal scoring record of 23 goals by the one and only (and my favourite 'Well player) Willie Pettigrew, set in 1975. Yes 38 years, that's how long it's taken for us to get someone as prolific as the great 'Grew.

Higdon is now by his own admission playing the best football of his career and he says that (like many others at FP now and before him) that he enjoys going to his work and that his family are really settled. As many of us know enjoying your work and being happy at your place of work and having your family settled are things that you can't put a price on.

Yes, he could perhaps move from FP (like many before him) for more gold but would he still retain the three aspects above? It's odds on that he would not. Look at some of the guys who have gone before - John Sutton too was playing the best football of his career at FP but elected to move for bigger wages and look at him now, not guaranteed a starting place in as poor a Hearts team as you'll see. David Clarkson, Paul Quinn, Brian Kerr, dare I say James McFadden, Stephen Pearson etc. etc.thumbup.gif

So come on 'Well let's get the big guy re-signed pdq.

• Like 4

He also said "I'm in no rush but it's a definite possibility I'll stay" which sounds a lot like he wants to weigh up his options which he is entitled to do.

For all you've said above, if some team offers a 29 year old journeymen type player like Higdon two or three times his current Motherwell salary he'll jump at the chance. It's a short career and the guy has to look out for him and his family.

Whatever he does I'lll have no complaints, stuck up for the guy since day one and he's proved all his doubters wrong with his phenomenal record of 38 goals in 77 matches.

Sincerely hope he stays but best of luck to the big man whatever he decides to do.

Has been a great signing for us, absolutely no doubt about that.

Scores goals, holds the ball up fantastically & his link up play is immense.

The games where he may seem less effective are more often than not down to very poor refereeing, some refs just don't seem to like the way he goes about his business, wrongly in my opinion.

Here's hoping the big man puts pen to paper on a 2/3 year deal.

I remain a little cautious about what anyone in football says when it comes to contracts. It can be difficult to know who to believe. Higdon for example says he hasn't spoken to the club which may give the impression of reticence on the club's part.

But it could be his agent is doing all the negotiating on his behalf and he'll only get involved and actually speak to the club when agreement is near.

Whatever the case is I would love it if he committed for a year or two more at Fir Park.

Would be great if we can get him signed for next season. He's may not be the best footballer in our team but he's proved if you give him decent service he'll do a cracking job leading the line. I've said on numerous occasions he brings much more than goals to the team too. Appears to be really loving it here at the moment as well. If I had to pick between either him, Law or Faddy signing up for next season I'd be struggling.

Johnstone i do have backbone im admitting i got it wrong with Higgy and delighted that i did. Any player who scores 20 plus goals is worth his weight in gold. I really didn't think he had it to be so prolific. I give my opinion as i see it and have been right with several players who i said wouldn't do for us the likes of Ross Forbes and Mark Fitzpatrick spring to mind. Higgy if he gets decent service certainly knows where the goals are and hopefully he signs and continues doing what he's doing next season and beyond. :)

• Like 1

I remain a little cautious about what anyone in football says when it comes to contracts. It can be difficult to know who to believe. Higdon for example says he hasn't spoken to the club which may give the impression of reticence on the club's part.

But it could be his agent is doing all the negotiating on his behalf and he'll only get involved and actually speak to the club when agreement is near.

Whatever the case is I would love it if he committed for a year or two more at Fir Park.

It could of course be neither. We're a small club with a small backroom staff who only have so many hours in the day. They may not have even started negotiations. Higdon (or his representative) will sit down with the club when they need to. Simple.

He's a great finisher, but needs to work on his celebrations a bit for a player who scores so many goals :yahoo:

Nonsense, doing the Carswell up at Aberdeen was a gem of a celebration

Higgy doing the Carsy.jpg

, he can stick to doing the Higgy and I'll cheer it just the same

• Like 2

He's a fucking goal machine and is the main reason why we are sitting where we are in the table just now. He gets a lot of stick from some for his overall play but he does what a striker is meant to do and that is find the net. If he signs an extension it will be a brilliant piece of business.

• Like 3

The abuse/stick Higdon got whilst unacceptable was blown way out of proportion in my opinion and only an idiot would've given him any this season.

I think initially people thought he would be the type of player who chased down lost causes etc. and were reacting when he didn't do the job they believed he was signed to do.

Once folk worked out why he was signed and the invaluable role he provides within the team you would be hard pushed to hear a dissenting voice aimed at him.

In my opinion!

• Like 1

I think alot of folk saw him as another John Sutton, ie. the type of player who drags defenders out of position, draws fouls for nothing aswell as chipping in with the goals but he's not that kind of player. Michael Higdon is a penalty box striker who will deliver the goods as long as he gets the service provided to him and his goal tally has proved this.

• Like 1

I think alot of folk saw him as another John Sutton, ie. the type of player who drags defenders out of position, draws fouls for nothing aswell as chipping in with the goals but he's not that kind of player. Michael Higdon is a penalty box striker who will deliver the goods as long as he gets the service provided to him and his goal tally has proved this.

You do him a disservice by simply labelling him a penalty box striker, he's much more to us than that. He's the focal point of our attack, often used as an outlet when nothings on and his link up play is far better than it gets credit for.

He's certainly a superior all round player to Sutton.

• Like 1

I certainly didn't mean to put him down by limiting him to merely a penalty box striker but I think that's where his main strengths lie. There's no doubt that he has been the spearhead of our attack for the past two seasons and that is because he does the required work in the box, ie. getting into the right positions, using his strength and most importantly, scoring the goals. He's a different type of player to Sutton but he's certainly been a better asset to us than he was.