Scottish Premiership Game 6: Hibernian (A) Saturday 16/09/17

Yabba's Turd

Like I said, I'm not against the appeal. Just pointing out it's theatrics like that that have refs making bad decisions in and around the penalty box.

Why should the way the player goes down have any impact on the ref's decision ? If the referee was doing his job competently he should see the initial contact and make his decision based on that, i know its all split second stuff but the defender stood on Tait;s boot / ankle it was a pen every day of the week, so the player doing 3 forward rolls and going down with arms waving about should not matter.

My point is not specific to that decision. My point is that if a player dives when he's fouled, and dives when he's not fouled, that makes it more difficult for refs to tell what is a legit pen.

As a result, you get decisions like the Boyle one on Saturday.

If Tait had just gone down without the swan dive, he might have got the pen instead of the yellow card.

• Like 1

The referee's job is hard enough without players having unnatural reactions to challenges. It's only human nature for the referee to be skeptical of such reactions.

Boyle went down in a fairly natural fashion although it was clear to all of us in the stand that there was no contact. Maybe the way he went to ground was enough to convince the referee.

• Like 1

The referee's job is hard enough without players having unnatural reactions to challenges. It's only human nature for the referee to be skeptical of such reactions.

Boyle went down in a fairly natural fashion although it was clear to all of us in the stand that there was no contact. Maybe the way he went to ground was enough to convince the referee.

I understand what you mean about the way Boyle went down, however that would imply that the ref was guessing as to whether there was contact or not.
  • Like 1

We all knew at the time he got it wrong.

I know there's the 100% argument but, let's face it, everyone goes with their initial reaction which is influenced by their line of vision and a certain amount of gut feeling and it's that gut feeling that can be influenced, even very slightly, by things like theatrical falls.

If the ref had to be 100% sure about every decision we wouldn't get a game of football and you'd see very few penalties. I'm sure he was convinced at the time that it was a penalty but tv evidence shows Boyle dived.

On the penalty claims I remember hearing a referee consultant on the radio talking about what he called the bow fall which he described as an unnatural fall as the player throws his arms up and arches his back as he falls where as in any normal fall a player would put his arms down to lessen the fall. This to me explains why Taits incident was seen as a dive but Boyles was seen as not.

Just to complicate matters we can all recall incidents where a player has fallen in the box accidentally, not claimed a penalty, then walked off innocently only to be yellow carded by the referee.

In the interests of consistency and fairness, the SFA has to haul up divers, like Boyle, retrospectively and hand them bans. If clubs were also serious about stamping out this cheating, for thats what it is, then they'd punish the culprits themselves. However I'm convinced that clubs tolerate this abuse and indeed in some cases encourage and coach it. Neil Lennon should have blasted Boyle publicly and banned him from Hibs' next game but instead all we've had is complete silence from him. He'll be the first though to blast an opposition player who dives to win a penalty aginst Hibs. In that respect he's no different to most other managers.

It sounds like I'm biased, but Joe was the best timer of a tackle I have ever seen - his record of no bookings for about 15 consecutive seasons (or whatever it was) backs that up.

Plus, he had all the attributes of today's modern, attacking full backs with his runs up the wing and great passing.

As an added bonus, his ball juggling was first rate too - keeping us entertained when there was a stoppage on the pitch.

• Like 2

It sounds like I'm biased, but Joe was the best timer of a tackle I have ever seen - his record of no bookings for about 15 consecutive seasons (or whatever it was) backs that up.

Plus, he had all the attributes of today's modern, attacking full backs with his runs up the wing and great passing.

As an added bonus, his ball juggling was first rate too - keeping us entertained when there was a stoppage on the pitch.

And an all round nice guy who always had time for the fans during and after his career.

• Like 1

You are biased, but with every right to be - he was also good in goals as well. My hero throughout his playing career and beyond.

Joe is my greatest all time Motherwell player. To play the number of games he did, maintain the performance levels he did and go so many games without a booking put him head and shoulders above anyone Ive seen play in Claret & Amber. Best Scots born player never to be capped for his country.

If Allan Campbell goes on to be half the player Joe was he will have some career.

• Like 2

Joe is my greatest all time Motherwell player. To play the number of games he did, maintain the performance levels he did and go so many games without a booking put him head and shoulders above anyone Ive seen play in Claret & Amber. Best Scots born player never to be capped for his country.

If Allan Campbell goes on to be half the player Joe was he will have some career.