Scottish Premiership Game 8: Partick Thistle (H) Saturday 30/09/17

Yabba's Turd

I think yesterday proved that we're not quite good enough at home to go out and play our own game and not worry about the opposition. Almost but not quite. A lot will depend on who is fit ie Andy Rose. However I'd like us to start with Elliot Frear in place of Richard Tait to give us more pace and creativity. That would would give Chris Cadden more freedom. I suspect Thistle will prove very tough physical opponents and a midfield scrap is more than likely.

If Rose is fit he comes back in. If not Grimshaw. Lets win the right to play.

I agree with Frear for Tait. More direct and with 2 to hit in the middle could get some joy.

Question marks over McHugh at the moment but he is the Captain and probably needs to play through this dip in form so would give him another chance but Bigi needs to be ready to come on if its not working for him.

Need to be winning this one if we have real ambitions for top 6.

• Like 1

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/motherwell-s-andy-rose-is-doubt-to-face-partick-thistle-after-wife-goes-into-labour-1-4572936

Motherwell's Andy Rose is doubt to face Partick Thistle after wife goes into labour

Motherwell ace Andy Rose's wife went into labour on Thursday

CRAIG GOLDTHORP

Published: 16:08 Thursday 28 September 2017

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson has revealed that family matters could keep midfielder Andy Rose out of this Saturday's home Scottish Premiership game against Partick Thistle.

Ex-Coventry ace Rose missed last Sunday's 1-0 defeat by Aberdeen due to a hamstring strain and - although he is recovering from this injury - he is doubtful to face Thistle for other reasons. Robinson said on Thursday: "Andy actually trained yesterday again. But his wife's actually gone into labour as we speak so family are priorities.

"Hopefully everything's ok with him and his wife so we just have to play that one by ear."

Elsewhere in the Motherwell squad, goalkeeper Trevor Carson is doubtful with a slight knock but sixth placed Motherwell otherwise have a fully fit squad to face the second bottom Jags. And Robinson and his boys are desperate to bag three points at Fir Park.

He said: "With the international break coming up everyone's desperate to get three points and go away for two weeks or 10 days.

"You go away with a lot of belief, happiness and spirit in the camp.

"So it's an important game for us in getting back on track in the league. Hopefully we end up looking upwards instead of down on people.

"I think Partick have had a tough start to the season because they've played a lot of the top opposition in the league.

"I've watched them three times already this season live and they're a good side, with good players.

"And Archie (Thistle manager Alan Archibald) has done well consistently.

"I'm expecting them not to be down the bottom of the table so it'll be a tough game.

"We know every time we play them there's not a lot in the game as well.

"We've looked at them, we've studied them and we know what we have to do to win the game."

Robbo will have had to do a bit of head scratching for this one. Thistle are a big side (aren't most of them) and high balls lumped up to Moult and Bowman, if both play, won't be an option. We don't want a repeat of last Sunday's tactics. Still as Robbo says our first priority is to win the physical battle and with it the ball. If we can do that our next issue is what to do with it. Its possible, but very difficult, to score when you don't have the ball.

I don't know much about the current Thistle side but I do know that they are hard and have 3 or 4 leviathans in their side. Maybe they are susceptible to speed? I'd like to see Frear start,and copy Davie Cooper's tactics against such opponents - rattle across low hard cross after low hard cross into the opponents 6 yard box. I always enjoyed seeing the ball canoning off big defenders legs at random angles and sometimes into the back of the net. By all accounts Thistle have been very unlucky so far with poor referees and a start featuring top six opponents.

Still the 3 points are up for grabs and we have a team full of fight and spirit. No reason to be pessimistic.

Bit of thinking outside the box here. Teams are now aware of our

" physical and robust style of play " to quote various " journalists " and our quick ball up to our two front players so why not try something different. Everybody seems to agree that our captain hasn't had the best of starts to the season so why not give him a wee rest. How's about going 3_4_3 with

Carson

Kipre. Hartley. Dunne

Cadden. Campbell. Bigirimana Grimshaw

Mount. Bowman. Petravicius

I know folk will say we need to match up with the opposition ETC but why not try something different and let Thistle worry about our set_up.

Campbell and Grimshaw will fight for everything in midfield and the pace of Sid up top might just really surprise them. If it ain't working we could change it from what would be a pretty strong bench. I don't expect to see anything like this happening only putting it out for discussion

COYW.

Bit of thinking outside the box here. Teams are now aware of our

" physical and robust style of play " to quote various " journalists " and our quick ball up to our two front players so why not try something different. Everybody seems to agree that our captain hasn't had the best of starts to the season so why not give him a wee rest. How's about going 3_4_3 with

Carson

Kipre. Hartley. Dunne

Cadden. Campbell. Bigirimana Grimshaw

Mount. Bowman. Petravicius

I know folk will say we need to match up with the opposition ETC but why not try something different and let Thistle worry about our set_up.

Campbell and Grimshaw will fight for everything in midfield and the pace of Sid up top might just really surprise them. If it ain't working we could change it from what would be a pretty strong bench. I don't expect to see anything like this happening only putting it out for discussion

COYW.

Looking forward to seeing Mount play :haha:

My team, based on current situations (Rose out and Petravičius with hamstring issue), would be:

Carson

Kipré Hartley Plummer

Tait Cadden McHugh Campbell Frear

Bowman Moult

Griffiths

Dunne

Hammell

Grimshaw

Bigirimana

Tanner

Fisher

Not convinced by Dunne as ball out is generally shocking and would like to see Plummer get a chance. If not him then Hammell.

Fisher makes bench as no other real options.