Motherwell V Kilmarnock Sat 29 Aug 15:00

Yabba's Turd

A must win game for us no if and no buts. I'd like to see Watt start at right back and I'd be tempted to go with Thomas and Ainsworth unless and until we take a 2 goal lead in which case Johnson is the man. We're desperately poor in the middle and unfortunately I can't think of any realistic alternatives to Lasley and Leitch. Cadden may be worth looking at but right now he lacks experience and its unfair to put too much pressure on his shoulders.

This is a bit of a mishmash of thoughts on last night's performance and how we can apply them to Saturday, so apologies:

I really, really hope Baraclough learns from last night in respect to how we go about Saturday. Chatting in the car on the way home, he seems to want to shoehorn in (what he thinks is, anyway) his best 11 into the formation he wants to play. Just because it worked twice against Rangers doesn't mean it's going to work against every team we play; I hope tonight gave him the scare he needed. He certainly went ripping through the players at full time just before ET started. My biggest problem with this selection process is that we don't really have enough players on the bench capable of coming on and changing a game in our favour (Dom Thomas' performance last night aside).

Josh Law shouldn't be anywhere near our team on Saturday (or for the rest of season, if my wish comes true); East Fife recognised he was the weak link in our back 4 and had 3 players marking him waiting on a mistake. Every meaningful attack came from him conceding possession or being caught too far up the park and not tracking back. Luke Watt looks far more assured and reminds me of Paul Quinn in his early days. Certainly had more dig about him than Law; time and time again Law half heartedly tried to win the ball and his leg bounced off the opposing player's. Simply not good enough.

I'd potentially start Kennedy again; question is instead of who? Kennedy looks to read the game well and has some pace and ability to bring the ball out from the back and find a good pass through the midfield.

I thought Laing was great in the air last night but was caught out with the ball at his feet a few times (after having won it back) and with their number 9 driving at him he was turned inside out a few times to the point he nearly lost the plot. You can see the potential he has; he reminds me of Hutchy when he first came in, raw and talented, just needing to use his brain a bit more and clear his lines one or two touches earlier. Not every ball he plays from defence has to be a through ball for a winger. Sometimes row Z or a booming clearance down the pitch is what's required.

Dom Thomas showed more in his first 10 minutes on the pitch than Johnson did in the entire first half, so I'd say Marvin needs a spell on the bench and the chance to come on and prove with 20/25 minutes to go he can make an impact and change a game or put it out of the opposition's reach. He's certainly a rough diamond that needs nurturing and developing. He also looks to have lost some pace; not sure if the injury he picked up in pre-season is still causing him some problems.

With Taylor suspended we'll have to go for Lasley and Leitch in the middle, which is fine (contrary to quite a few other posters, I think Leitch had a decent game at points last night; just not consistently over the whole match and some of that was down to having to cover for other players' mistakes; Ainsworth and Johnson being particularly wasteful with 5 yard passes and stupid back heels causing us all sorts of problems).

McDonald needs to be in support of Moult and playing little 1-2s with him. That substitution and formation changed Moult's performance completely and he started to look a lot more assured with help around him.

Also, long balls from the keeper over the top to wingers and a striker with no support around him; no, just no. :doh: We scored 3 goals from playing good, passing football in attack. Back to that and forget the long ball routine, please. Too easy an option to just keep lumping it from the keeper.

• Like 2

Must win and even if we do I won't be convinced this season will be anything other than a dogfight to survive. Certainly if Barraclough stays in post.

Players have to take responsibilty but ultimately the manager carries the can.

Surely Thomas and Watt will start?!?!

2-1 Killie.

Sink or swim time for Baraclough. He is on the cusp of losing the majority of the fans after last night's debacle, should he lose this one, it would make his position untenable imo. Thomas and Watt must start, McDonald has to start closer to Moult as they seemed to have a bit of an understanding. Probably due to Moult's immense work rate and Skippy's quality. If Law is down to start, I would sack him before K.O he is that poor.

• Like 1

From reading what the vast majority of people are saying form last night it has to be:

Ripley

Watt Kennedy McManus/Laing Chalmers

Ainsworth Leitch Lasley Thomas

Skippy Moult

Only concern with the above is the back 4 has been went through major change since last weekend. (Assuming Hammell is out). Does that make it better than what we had or more likely to concede goals due to confusion/misunderstanding?

I really, really hope Baraclough learns from last night in respect to how we go about Saturday. Chatting in the car on the way home, he seems to want to shoehorn in (what he thinks is, anyway) his best 11 into the formation he wants to play. Just because it worked twice against Rangers doesn't mean it's going to work against every team we play; I hope tonight gave him the scare it needed. He certainly went ripping through the players at full time just before ET started. My biggest problem with this selection process is that we don't really have enough players on the bench capable of coming on and changing a game in our favour (Dom Thomas' performance last night aside.

Brilliant analysis. This is the most frustrating thing about this season. We undoubtedly have the players for a top 6 finish - however we haven't applied the system for the. To flourish. 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers isn't working.

I think it can work, maybe away from home against a better team (ala ibrox last season) or when the opposition is coming at us (playoff 2nd leg). That being said - the one thing we do need for that to really work well is a combative, athletic midfielder like Pearo. That's why what we've been trying to hasn't worked since ICT away.

Baraclough needs to show more tactical flexibility and also some balls to drop current under performers such as Marvin and Skippy.

I think a 4-3-3 which can change into a 4-5-1 when we're defending would work well with the players we have. If you think that's daft, Bear in mind I won Boys Brigade 5 a side coach of the week twice a few years ago so I'm well educated In the efficacy of tactical systems ;-)

• Like 3

Ripley

Watt

Kennedy

McManus

Chalmers

Ainsworth

Lasley

Leitch

Taylor

Thomas

Skippy

Harsh on Moult who has done nothing wrong but we need to get a grip of midfield to allow Ainsworth and Thomas room to play. Marv needs time on the bench to re evaluate his desire and ability to play for the team.

Ripley

Watt

Kennedy

McManus

Chalmers

Ainsworth

Lasley

Leitch

Taylor

Thomas

Skippy

Harsh on Moult who has done nothing wrong but we need to get a grip of midfield to allow Ainsworth and Thomas room to play. Marv needs time on the bench to re evaluate his desire and ability to play for the team.

Taylor's suspended, is he not?

Ripley

Watt

Kennedy

McManus

Chalmers

Thomas

Leitch

Lasley

Ainsworth

McDonald

Moult

Works for me

Only other thought is maybe Clubber might be worth starting up against Kris Boyd, he did fine in the 6-1 .

Kennedy at right back instead of Watt, on the basis Watt may not be back to full fitness

Moult an absolute stick- on, mystified why so many people have an apparent aversion to a guy with a prodigious work rate, an ability to finish calmly , and who tries to bring others into play- I mean , why would we want that ??

Taylor's suspended, is he not?

Yeh. Forgot about that. Probably rules that formation out unless he plays skippy in midfield and Moult up front. Dont think he would risk Cadden when we are struggling for form.

• Like 1

Works for me

Only other thought is maybe Clubber might be worth starting up against Kris Boyd, he did fine in the 6-1 .

Kennedy at right back instead of Watt, on the basis Watt may not be back to full fitness

Moult an absolute stick- on, mystified why so many people have an apparent aversion to a guy with a prodigious work rate, an ability to finish calmly , and who tries to bring others into play- I mean , why would we want that ??

I certainly dont have an aversion to Moult. Just think we need to go with an extra midfielder to try and get a grip of things and protect the defence better. Think Skippy is better suited to run channels and bring others into play. I wouldnt argue about any of your observations on Moult. He was my MoM v Aberdeen.

Brilliant analysis. This is the most frustrating thing about this season. We undoubtedly have the players for a top 6 finish - however we haven't applied the system for the. To flourish. 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers isn't working.

Most teams in the league play 4-2-3-1 most weeks. And most teams play two attacking wide players (McGinn/Hayes or O'Halloran/Wotherspoon or Spittal/Erskine or Amoo/Lawless or McGowan/Stewart etc. etc.).

I've seen us twice this season and the first time we played 4-2-3-1 and everyone complained that McDonald wasn't close enough to the striker. Second time I saw us we played more of a 4-4-2 with McDonald further forward and Aberdeen dominated the midfield with an extra man until they withdrew Willo Flood.

I don't really see the formation as a big problem to be honest as long as we play something along the lines of 4-2-3-1 and match up against other teams. Doesn't matter what the formation is if you can't defend or pass, don't make chances or finish and play far too much long ball and that's our problem so far this term.

And in terms of personnel I think Johnson and Ainsworth (or Thomas) should be able to be accommodated into the system provided they are in form and doing a job. I also think McDonald can play the behind the striker role. Our weak areas are right back and the position left vacant by Pearson's injury.