S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

Not something I am enjoying typing as I always think it's bad taste to talk about a new manager when we still have someone in charge, however message boards are an equivalent of a chat down the pub** in which this very question would come up so I think it's fair to be asked.

It looks like most the fanbase have run out of patience with Mcghee, so in the unlikely event he goes this week or more likely at the end of the season, who do you think should come in?

For the record, I do actually think McGhee is a capable manager. There simply comes a point where, for a whole variety of reasons, a managers influence and respect is eroded in a dressing room. McDonald's plea to the dugout after the 4th goal went in (he was gesturing as if to say "what are you going to do about this?") strongly suggests we are now at that stage.

Personally, I've been very impressed with Craigan with the u20's and would happily see him step up until the end of the season. Granted, managing a group of teenagers with a focus on development is nothing like a squad of senior players avoiding relegation, however he captained the club for years and still commands respect around the club. His performance with the 20s indicates he's not devoid of tactical nous. I'm not actually convinced he would want the job as he seems to enjoy his u20 work + BT stint and I'm sure has said he's not interested in a full time senior manager role.

Outside of Craigan, I honestly have no idea.... and therein lies the problem. Jimmy Calderwood anyone?

**a very loud and public chat down the pub, with the players and manager probably within earshot.

• Like 1

Craigan did not do so well when he took over a couple of seasons back. Remember being gubbed up at Dundee when he was in charge.

I think he and Robinson will take temporary charge. Like the Simo suggestion but is he still available? I would like someone like Gary Rowett but probably way out of our range finically and we will end up with someone like Danny Lennon.

Craigan did not do so well when he took over a couple of seasons back. Remember being gubbed up at Dundee when he was in charge.

I think he and Robinson will take temporary charge. Like the Simo suggestion but is he still available? I would like someone like Gary Rowett but probably way out of our range finically and we will end up with someone like Danny Lennon.

Recently lost his job and rumoured to be hopeful of receiving a phonecall in the not too distant future.

I've no idea. 'Something different' is all I have at the moment. Simo is an obvious link given his name coming up last tie and the fact he just got sacked. Could be a go-er.

It will be the same list of names at the bookies anyway.

Craigan won't take the full time job if the noises he made last time are still his thoughts.

Wouldn't want Craigan for the simple fact that he's doing a brilliant job at 20s and I'm excited to see where we would be in 3years time if he were to stay in charge there

Fear would be that he would take over from mcghee and ultimately end up with the same fate further down the line

For me it would be a fresh manager and assistant as much as I'd love Faddy to stay involved as a coach

Someone like jackie Mcnamara would be my choice,played attacking football at Utd and even Patrick and has always been keen to promote youth through both of those sides. Appreciate he didn't have a good time at York but from what I read there were a lot of mitigating circumstances which is why he still is employed there

Failing that I'd have McLeish or Davies back in a heart beat whilst keeping our old guard involved in a coaching/assistant manager capacity

For what it's worth though I'd stick my mortgage on Robinson getting the job full time

I still see McLeish and Davies as well out of our price range. While Mcleish's reputation has deteriorated over the years, his reputation in Scotland is still good so I imagine he'll be waiting for a bigger club than ours.

Davies did go off the deep-end at the end of his 2nd spell at Forest so his stock may be very low. If we get a stable Davies it could be a coup, however it would be a gamble given his previous behaviour.

I absolutely love Craigan, and hope he manages us one day, but if we're going to sack McGhee-which I'm still 50/50 on- then I don't think we can afford to take a risk. With our precarious position I don't think it'd be wise to give a guy his first management job.

With a lack of obvious candidates I'd maybe just keep McGhee to the end of the season- provided we don't lose next week- then give it to Craigan.

We had well over 120 odd applications for the job before McGhee came back and i reckon we'd get a similar number again if he departs, plenty good and available candidates out there, even ones i cant think of at thae moment but its up to the board to make sure they get this decision right.

The other alternative we get someone experienced on an interim basis like to steady the ship then look towards the longer term future in the summer with say a guy like Valakari who can dismantle the deadwood and bring in his own guys whilst being supplemented by the talent from Craigans under 20s side.

Somebody willing to live locally, and put the hours in that are required to get this club turned in the right direction. McGhee has his plus points but commitment is not one of them. I get this is a modern era with tablets and mobile phones and all but him living in Brighton sticks in the craw a bit.

This is where we have a dilemma. The Board have let us slide to such an extent that we find ourselves in a very precarious position, a position that may jeopardise our very near future if we don't make the right appointment. Assuming the Board don't have confidence in McGhee achieving his primary objective, we have the following options imo:

1. Replace McGhee with an experienced head that will give us the best chance of us staying up. Given his connections and credentials, Owen Coyle is the obvious option but I'd worry he is somewhat fatigued from the Blackburn experience and may want to spend a few months recharging his batteries. Davies would be a name of a similar ilk but I doubt the Board want to risk splitting the support yet again.

2. Promote Craigan to work alongside Robinson. I'm not sure who would be manager out the two but this is probably the most likely option. Personally I feel we need a completely fresh approach. I'm a huge admirer of what Craigan is doing with the u20s, he has the team incredibly well drilled and is utterly committed to individual development. This is exactly what we need but I worry his approach isn't transferable to dealing with senior pros.

3. Bring in someone completely fresh with a clear drive to improve themselves and the club. Someone, who is willing to work all the hours under the sun and take proper managerial control. I've kept an eye on Gary Naysmith since the trip to East Fife and I think he may have a very bright future ahead of him. Whether it was Naysmith or the aforementioned Simo, such an appointment would have to happen in the summer to have any chance of success.

I could see a partnership with Robinson as manager and Crags as Assistant as he'd still be able to have input with the U20's.

A thought just crossed my mind and may have to do more with the media writing up about how Sevco are looking at reshaping their management style and wonder if Robinson had been brought back in so that next season McGoo made the step up to Director of Football looking after the signings etc with Robinson taking the head coach role.

May just be me putting 2+2 together and coming up with 10 but McGoo said last week that there were already talks taking place for him to be here next season.

What's other thoughts, do we need a director of football, would this even work at our club?

1. Replace McGhee with an experienced head that will give us the best chance of us staying up. Given his connections and credentials, Owen Coyle is the obvious option but I'd worry he is somewhat fatigued from the Blackburn experience and may want to spend a few months recharging his batteries. Davies would be a name of a similar ilk but I doubt the Board want to risk splitting the support yet again.

I think we can put Coyle to bed right now. There is no way we could afford any manager who has managed in the EPL in the last few years. He'll probably still be raking in more money just now doing... eh, whatever ex-premiership managers do, than he could at Motherwell. Mcleish is in the same bracket, and Davies isn't far behind.

I dare say all three with have an eye on eventually landing another big job and need to choose their 'stepping stone' club very carefully. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how appealing Motherwell is in that sense.

In my opinion a DOF is exactly what we need

Can't help but feel Alan burrows plays the figure of 3 roles at the moment, chief exec officer,DOF (given he deals with contracts etc) and head of media.

In my opinion as a senior figure he needs to take himself away from day to day dealings with players

Some restructuring and we can absolutely afford to put someone in post for this, we have done that very thing on the commercial front to bring in who he wanted to bring in

Someone with a business background as well as a knowledge of working within football for me though. That's not mcghee in my opinion

McGoo made the step up to Director of Football looking after the signings etc....

not sure the workings of a relatively tight budget allow for the extra role

but for sure, one thing that McGhee isn't suited to, is looking after signings, look at his career history. I'd go as far as he shouldnt be scouting for Scotland either

• Like 2

It comes down to risk now. Do we risk sticking with McGhee until the end of the season given or current downward spiral or do we risk someone new with new ideas and who can organise and motivate a team in a short space of time?One things for sure in my eyes is that is McGhee does go this week Robinson needs to be no where near the club or the managers position - he's part of the problem not the solution .

I want tend to go with Craigen, Butcher or Archie Knox.

The whole set up with the society board, club board and Alan Burrows needs to be looked at once the season is over. Maybe Jay can advise why there are board members on the club and society board? Surely there is a conflict of interest or is this all just part of the jobs for the boy act that appears to be rife at present with Robinsons return being a prime example of this.

• Like 1

It comes down to risk now. Do we risk sticking with McGhee until the end of the season given or current downward spiral or do we risk someone new with new ideas and who can organise and motivate a team in a short space of time?One things for sure in my eyes is that is McGhee does go this week Robinson needs to be no where near the club or the managers position - he's part of the problem not the solution .

I want tend to go with Craigen, Butcher or Archie Knox.

The whole set up with the society board, club board and Alan Burrows needs to be looked at once the season is over. Maybe Jay can advise why there are board members on the club and society board? Surely there is a conflict of interest or is this all just part of the jobs for the boy act that appears to be rife at present with Robinsons return being a prime example of this.

Was discussed at the AGM.

First couple of menu items on the Well Society website explains the governance structure and transition towards how it should be long term for the club e.g. exec board, supervisory board & well society board as 3 entities.

One things for sure in my eyes is that is McGhee does go this week Robinson needs to be no where near the club or the managers position - he's part of the problem not the solution .

Strong opinion on someone who is largely off the ordinary fans radar. Care to expand?

• Like 1