Thanks Flow And The Groundsman

decorator

This forum was started up and ran by about 6 of us back in the day, and every single one of us works for the club now apart from 5 of us, so it just shows you anything can happen.

Some of us worked there before the forum started and now we're in charge here.

I'm just glad there aren't forums out there where folk critique the job I do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see they have carried out "remedial" work on the pitch which looks like relaying the turf!!

I am no expert and I am sure we have one of the best playing pitches in Scotland, but was it absolutely necessary to spend this money on the pitch, I am sure there probably a budget for this expenditure, but when you see the state of some of the stands I am sure they could do with some money spent on them.

Since we started the great new pitch project, every summer the club has gone into great detail about the annual remediation work required to keep our new pitch up to snuff - including posting pictures and updates of the process.

And every summer someone complains we are digging it up.

• Like 1

Since we started the great new pitch project, every summer the club has gone into great detail about the annual remediation work required to keep our new pitch up to snuff - including posting pictures and updates of the process.

And every summer someone complains we are digging it up.

Right on cue.

A considered and reasonable interview with a few too many credits to "social media" and the shite that written about the club by the keyboard warriors on here, facebook and FPC.

However a diplomatic response for some of his critics to consider. Sadly for him, he has to spend time during that educating a swathe of our support to the nuances of how the club does its business.

Remember, this is an example of 10x more info and engagement than any other club offers in this league.

• Like 1

Yeah, never had any negative feeings towards him either.

To his credit, he comes out and confronts things, whether it be on Twitter or interviews etc, when it could be easier to just hide.

I think some have alluded to this too, but there's sometimes a certain snobbery towards him because he was an 'ordinary' fan. It doesn't help either that his role gets exaggerated.

Everyone starts somewhere. The club isn't perfect, but there have been certain positive things put in place, particularly off the field, which would be more within his remit than player/managerial appointments etc.

Don't know him personally, but he clearly has the club's best interests at heart and I've witnessed him in the main stand getting just as exasperated as the rest of us during games.

I think he's an asset tbh.

• Like 2

As much as there's probably a snobbery at play in a few cases, having dipped into the comments on FB (always a bad idea, no matter what page it is), there's a more unfortunate aspect in so much as it's clear that some of the fanbase are just absolute weapons.

• Like 3

Good stuff from both interviews.

I wonder if investment in the pitch is part of a longer term strategy to make Fir Park the primary stadium in the Central Belt for smallish/medium sized events. Hosting the Challenge Cup this year will have offset some of the costs - do the club hope to get to a stage where the pitch itself is actually turning a profit?

it's clear that some of the fanbase are just absolute weapons.

I know what you mean but this isn't an expression I've ever heard before - I've visions of Well fans being dropped from Typhoons or fired from missile silos.

Seriously...I've always found Alan Burrows very approachable and enthusiastic and good at his job (both in his previous role and his current one). Running a football club is much more complicated than many fans would have you believe. For those who don't back him I'd say they they must have short memories or be fairly young. I was impressed by Leeann Dempster but before that??????? We either had someone who was abrasive in charge or for most of the time no one at all. I can recall fans complaining for years that there was no-one in charge; no-one to complain to. If you wanted to make a complaint about cold tea at the recent Falkirk game you had to write to the Chairman.

Changed days be thankful for who or what we've got. Two good interviews.

• Like 1

I met Alan on a number of occasions when as our media man he used to cover our under 20's games at Bathgate. Down to earth guy and a Motherwell fan like us. Wasn't to sure when he got the general managers job (or whatever it's called), but he seems to be growing into it and as he says in his interview "he's made mistakes", but learned from them. What I really like is our open relationship between the club and fans. Refreshing.