Assistant Manager

Flow said they didn't really want to announce Faddy's departure yesterday, but the papers got wind of it so they had to. So even if it were to be Lasley, they'll probably make that announcement on a day when there's nothing else to announce.

The vibe coming out from the club is that we have learned lessons from last season. That being the case, I expect Robinson to bring in an experienced coach, someone he can trust to share the burden.

I still think Lasley has a year or two left in him if he's willing to play at lower level. Ideally, he'll get a player/coaching role at the likes of St Mirren or Ayr.

The vibe coming out from the club is that we have learned lessons from last season. That being the case, I expect Robinson to bring in an experienced coach, someone he can trust to share the burden.

I still think Lasley has a year or two left in him if he's willing to play at lower level. Ideally, he'll get a player/coaching role at the likes of St Mirren or Ayr.

I read Robinson's comments and initially thought the same however reading them back who knows? There's nothing to say that "a change and something a bit different" couldn't be Lasley. All it really means is that it's not McFadden. It could go either way.

There's a good argument there for an experienced #2 however equally Lasley has his pro-licence and seems to see coaching as being his next step.

Id like to see Billy McKinlay in there. By all accounts a very good coach, knows Robinson from Norn Irn & gives a Scottish connection to the coaching team.

However,while I agree with the concerns over Lasley, Id also be amazed if the Assistant is anyone other than him

Perhaps Craigan to number two, allowing Lasley and McManus to take the reigns of the U20s?

Craigan seems perfectly happy in the role he has, it doesn't affect his BT work (him being assistant would) and he's doing a good job with the 20s. I can't see why either he or the club would want to disrupt that.

I reckon it will be Lasley, i initially thought Baraclough would be back as assistant when Robinson took the job as he had him at Oldham but as Baraclough left to take up the Northern Ireland under 21s job that will rule him out.

My absolute preference is that we go for an outsider with fresh ideas rather than promoting from within all the time as i feel thats played a part in holding us back.

There's a good argument there for an experienced #2

I think thats the road we'll go down and rightly so. Robinson knows our club and I think he'll opt for a fresh pair eyes albeit experienced ones. Of late, there's been too much of an old boys club mentality. Lasley has the makings of a good coach or manager but initially perhaps not with us.

I think thats the road we'll go down and rightly so. Robinson knows our club and I think he'll opt for a fresh pair eyes albeit experienced ones. of late, there's been too much of an old boys club mentality. Lasley has the makings of a good coach or manager but initially perhaps not with us.

Pretty much this

I think with the way people talk about the club as being a family and the like, there is a danger that our model could undermine this with what looks like is going to be an annual rebuilding job. Therefore I think that it is beneficial to keep the likes of lasley and Hammel around, within reason. On the other hand, a bad experience could sour a reputation they've build up.

I'll add that I don't think that, outwith a few extremes, the assistant manager makes that much of a difference.

Will we ever see a player put in the number of appearances either of them have?

Teams like Liverpool in the 70s and 80s thrived by making most of their appointments in-house. However, if guys like Las want to keep playing regularly for their last year or two they might need to move on.

I'd like to see Big Mick stick around too, but would not be surprised if he ends up with a role at Celtic.

As for Robinson, he seems very much his own man, and will choose an assistant that supports his philosophy over any other considerations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Manager said that getting signings in is more important, so could be another week before we hear anything. Most of us are going on the assumption that it's lasley, but that would largely depend on whether he continues to play.

From the Daily Record

Lasley set for Well No2 job
JS103376829.jpg

Long serving midfielder Keith Lasley is expected to be named as Motherwell’s new assistant manager.

The 37-year-old triggered a one-year extension in his contract when he made 33 appearances last season. Now he is expected to be handed a No2 role alongside manager Stephen Robinson following the departure of James McFadden.

Lasley to be appointed according to the papers.

Just when you thought the pre-season signings were going well, this happens. We need an experienced coach to help Robinson not another jobs for the boys appointment like Faddy last season. Still looking o the bright side it might keep him off the pitch.

• Like 1