Assistant Manager

Just when you thought the pre-season signings were going well, this happens. We need an experienced coach to help Robinson not another jobs for the boys appointment like Faddy last season. Still looking o the bright side it might keep him off the pitch.

:doh: How do you become 'experienced' if you are not given the chance? That's not an endorsement for Lasley getting the position either, if Robinson feels he's the best man for the job...

another jobs for the boys appointment

Is it? Or is it a job for someone who has vast experience of Scottish football, this league, this club, our squad and oppositions squads?

I can't see how it is a bad thing for someone with such an affinity with the club to be kept around. If it was just a 'jobs for the boys' appointment then Faddy would have been kept on. Robinson obviously feels Lasley is a much better option.

• Like 2

He's a qualified coach who worked with our u20s the last couple of years, and knows the club inside out. I don't think this fits the "jobs for the boys" criteria.

By qualified for you mean he has obtained all of the relevant uefa/FIFA badges / licences if so all the better but if not then what makes you think he would be good for the team as a coach. Faddy knew the club well,and I assume was well respected etc last season and it did not look like it made any difference so why would Lasley be any different. A professional club at our level needs an experienced assistant manager not somenody who is untried in the role. I am not saying he could not have some sort of role coaching wise but not as assistant manager.

By qualified for you mean he has obtained all of the relevant uefa/FIFA badges / licences if so all the better but if not then what makes you think he would be good for the team as a coach. Faddy knew the club well,and I assume was well respected etc last season and it did not look like it made any difference so why would Lasley be any different. A professional club at our level needs an experienced assistant manager not somenody who is untried in the role. I am not saying he could not have some sort of role coaching wise but not as assistant manager.

Fucking nonsense.

• Like 2

As far as I know, Las has his badges and has been actively involved in the coaching side the last few seasons.

Faddy did not have all his badges and wasn't, as far as I know, heavily involved on the coaching side.

I think it's irrelevant, however, as Robinson seems to be a hands-on kinda manager and not reliant on an assistant to organize and run training. So whoever is 2nd in command will just be doing exactly what he tells them to do.

Care to elaborate on which part of a reasonable question you consider to be nonsense?

That a club of our level needs an experience person at Assistant. If bigger clubs than ours don't need experience at manager then we certainly don't need one at assistant.

What our club needs it someone that understands modern training and is able to put over the managers instructions to the players either on or off the park. Sure Lasley is more than able to do that, and as mentioned above Lasley is well thought off at Largs through his performance at the courses.

• Like 1

That a club of our level needs an experience person at Assistant. If bigger clubs than ours don't need experience at manager then we certainly don't need one at assistant.

What our club needs it someone that understands modern training and is able to put over the managers instructions to the players either on or off the park. Sure Lasley is more than able to do that, and as mentioned above Lasley is well thought off at Largs through his performance at the courses.

Not sure what you are referring to re bigger clubs but my concern is with Motherwell. For 2 or 3 seasons now the club has lacked direction and leadership on and off the park, now that the WS are in control that side of the club seems to be moving in the right direction, and hopefully Robinson's rebuild sorts out the team,but he need help so the AM role is important, that's why an experienced coach/AM is essential, somebody who has worked at other clubs at a similar level, can input new ideas, offer alternatives to the manager etc. Yes Lasley may be qualified, know the club well etc but sometimes it's better to bring in a fresh face with new ideas etc. Lasley may well end up as a great coach / manager one day but here and now i don't think he is what the club needs.

From what I have heard Las was a bit of a shining star in his coaching course. Also he is a lot of he reason behind our U20's form.

Very highly thought of in the coaching capacity by a lot of people.

I would be happy to have him as our no2.

As much as I love Lasley, I have reservations about a novice manager having an inexperienced assistant so this is good to hear. If the u20s attractive style of play reflects Lasley's mindset, it will be interesting to see how him and Robinson get on.

Fucking nonsense.

A bit OTT and condescending I'd say. Spiderpig has expressed a perfectly reasonable argument although you may not agree with it. If Las is appointed there will be pros and cons. On the plus side, he knows the club and many of the players inside out. He's got his coaching badges and has some relevant experience with the Under 20s. He's also been captain for a number of years. On the debit side, he may be too close to some of the players and yes take an old boys view to some extent. He may also not be able to take a fresh view of things and does lack experience. Remember too that Robbo isn't an experienced manager. My view? I'm hedging my bets - not a bad appointment, if it comes to pass, but yes a bit of a gamble.

• Like 2

The accusation of being too close to the players is one that was always going to be thrown at him if he becomes assistant. Thing is with such a high turnover of players, there's only really McManus and Hammell left of the perceived old boys network. Too close to the likes of Cadden and others coming from the U20s? I reckon it's a good thing that the young players will feel able to go to him...

Young, hungry, highly qualified coaches are causing a huge problem in the Bundesliga...

Very true! Julian Naggelsmann at Hoffenheim certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons last year. 29 years old, saved them from relegation and then qualified for the champions league for the first time in their history this season.

• Like 1

Las as well as our other old timers are in my opinion the reason behind us staying in the league these last 3 years as well as the bedrock for our success the 6/7 years before. Stability means a lot in football and you only have to look at some other big city teams who have been relegated and also nowhere near our finishes in league.This jobs for the boys patter is pish and I for one am well chuffed we still have him.Hammell.mcmanus.craigan etc I hope we keep for a while to come.

• Like 8

I would have thought that it might be worthwhile registering Lesley, just in case of an injury crisis. Having said that, I have no idea of the financial implications of such a move.

One way or another, if we had to, we could, I think?

Technically he's a free agent, so come... November, and an injury crisis we would be able to?

ETA: Obviously this would be a worst case scenario and such, but in theory I guess.