Assistant Manager

Las as well as our other old timers are in my opinion the reason behind us staying in the league these last 3 years as well as the bedrock for our success the 6/7 years before. Stability means a lot in football and you only have to look at some other big city teams who have been relegated and also nowhere near our finishes in league.This jobs for the boys patter is pish and I for one am well chuffed we still have him.Hammell.mcmanus.craigan etc I hope we keep for a while to come.

If I could like this 10 times I would.

Hope his first input is ditching the mad 'running round cones' thing that we do at the start of each half.

I noticed Accies doing that too (and almost copying our warm up) and guessed it was an exercise from one of the Coaching Badge classes.

So can we now ask the question, who's going to be captain next season? Smart money would be on Hammell or McManus but will they play enough games to make it a sensible decision?

They're both experienced players but have they the right temperament and character to be leaders? Presumably the manager will know better than us.

So can we now ask the question, who's going to be captain next season? Smart money would be on Hammell or McManus but will they play enough games to make it a sensible decision?

McHugh for Captain for me. He has all the attributes. Get him on a longer contract as well.

• Like 1

Sad to see The Houswives Favourite hang up his boots but it was time. Here is hoping he continues to be as successful as a coach as he was as a player and stays with us for many years to come. All the best Keef! #siwy

• Like 1

Las as well as our other old timers are in my opinion the reason behind us staying in the league these last 3 years as well as the bedrock for our success the 6/7 years before. Stability means a lot in football and you only have to look at some other big city teams who have been relegated and also nowhere near our finishes in league.This jobs for the boys patter is pish and I for one am well chuffed we still have him.Hammell.mcmanus.craigan etc I hope we keep for a while to come.

Spot on, agree with every word Gaz7. With Las being the most important of them all in my opinion. Would like to have seen him play another season and be phased out gradually and I think we may miss his drive and endeavour.!

Not read the thread but he's shit. No experience. Jobs for the boys and only got the gig as under contract. But he's had to get something as retiring. McFadden was pish. He hasn't the experience. He will be loyal to his pals. It's only cause he has a contract and we can't afford to get rid of him

Aww away gies peace let's see how it works out ?

Not read the thread but he's shit. No experience. Jobs for the boys and only got the gig as under contract. But he's had to get something as retiring. McFadden was pish. He hasn't the experience. He will be loyal to his pals. It's only cause he has a contract and we can't afford to get rid of him

Aww away gies peace let's see how it works out ?

think you maybe should have had a read first. However I'm sure the trolls will soon climb out from under there rocks. Good luck Keith.

As most of you know, I've never been Keith Lasley's biggest fan in a playing sense. However, his commitment, attachment to the club and public image has never been in doubt. I'm still not 100% sure about his appointment but he does have the coaching credentials. Anyway, good luck Keith.

• Like 1

One of my all time favourites to pull on the famous claret and amber, probably the only Motherwell captain that will lead us out to the Champions League theme.

Bit sad that I won't see him on the park again, but the time was right. Like others, glad he is still about the club and wish him nothing but success as our new assistant. Unlike Faddy before him, he has the qualifications and an unquestionably passion & commitment to our wee club, no reason why he can thrive in his new role.

Thanks for the memories Keef!

Decent interview with Keef in the S*n today.

Interesting revelations that it appears Robinson gave him an ultimatum over the post and he has taken a pay cut for the position.

Pasted below so you don't have to click on the scummy rag.

KEITH LASLEY thought reaching the decision to hang up his boots was tough enough.

Then the Motherwell legend faced up to the searching question from his son Alfie — ‘Dad, who’s going to wear No14 now?’.

It almost reduced the new Fir Park No2 to tears.

Gritty midfielder Lasley, 479 games in the claret and amber over two spells from 1999, ended last season in decent form.

That made his retirement from playing all the harder to accept, but it was the condition of the job offer from Well boss Steve Robinson which the 37-year-old couldn’t turn down.

Uefa Pro-licence holder Lasley had been working to this moment for 11 years and after being unveiled as Robinson’s right-hand man yesterday, he said: “There have been a lot of emotions going through my head over the last while.

“I feel as if I’ve not really had a chance to take it all in, the fact my playing career’s now over.

“I still feel relatively fit and able, but there were a lot of different factors in my decision.

“Ultimately, I felt that I came to the right one. Coaching is something I’m very passionate about.

“It’s something I’ve been planning for a long time. It’s not been an overnight decision.

“I’m breaking it to my kids gently. The first thing my wee boy said to me was ‘Who’s going to be No14 next year?’.

“I nearly started crying. He’s actually No14 for his boys club. I don’t know who is going to wear No14 for Motherwell. There’s nobody filling it at the moment — and I’m going to try and keep it that way!”

Lasley has captained the Steelmen, enjoyed a richly- deserved testimonial, been a title runner-up, appeared in a Scottish Cup Final and played in Europa League and Champions League qualifiers.

He has even scored for Well. No, honestly.

But Lasley still can’t believe all he has achieved since turning up for a trial 18 years ago while a building site sparky.

He said: “I’ve not had the chance yet to properly look back on my playing career.

“Just getting a chance to play for this club was fantastic for me and a real privilege. I’ve grown to love this place.

“Everybody knows I came here from a building site and thinking I’d be back there in six months.

“So to still be standing here and look back on being captain of the club, played so many times, Europe, cup finals and now coach-assistant manager, well, it’s incredible for me.

“I was an electrician. I left school to serve my apprenticeship and then I qualified.

“I worked on various establishments in Glasgow, factories and whatever, putting lights up and that kind of stuff.

“I got the call from Billy Davies to come in for a trial and that obviously went well.

“But it was a late time for me to come into the game. At that point I’m thinking ‘I’ll maybe go and do this for a year, then go back and get my old job again’.

“However, when I take myself back to that point, and to now be standing here talking to you guys, it’s amazing how much I’ve been involved in with Motherwell.”

Fir Park Robinson’s faith in him means plenty for Lasley who accepted a wage CUT from his playing deal to take up the key backroom role.

He said: “When he offered the role to me it was great to know he had that confidence in me.

“I hope taking the pay cut shows how far ahead I’m now thinking. Coaching is something I want to get into.

“I’m obviously young into it. Come back and see me in six months — I might be baldy and with a fat belly and ready for chucking it!

“But right now I’m full of enthusiasm.”

Lasley also knows there will be first-teamers at the club now looking at him differently.

He said: “I’ve crossed the line over to the dark side.

“I’ve got a good relationship with the senior players and the younger boys too. I hope that’s not going to change, although I know it has to to a certain extent and I want it to.

“I hope the level of respect both ways will stay the same, though.

“It’s not that I instantly want respect because I’m a coach. I need to earn that and show them I can do the job.

“I’ve had the same corner of the dressing for years, my wee shrine! There’s a wee walking stick at my place with my slippers. That will be filled. But we’ve got to move on.”

Boss Robinson added: “Keith’s enthusiasm, desire and passion for Motherwell is obvious.

“He had a playing contract that was triggered last season, but I spoke to him when he came back from holiday to discuss his options.

“I told him I wanted him to be beside me, but I also told him I didn’t want him to play.

“I felt if he was going to be my assistant then he had to fully commit to it. That was vital.

“Financially, it wasn’t as good for him, but he showed his commitment to me and the club.”