St Mirren Away, League Cup 1/4 Final

steelboy

looking forward to the game even though it's my third trip to this wasteland in three weeks. hopefully we'll follow on from our performance in the last 20 minutes on saturday and have a right go at st mirren from the start as we were too passive on saturday and spent far too much time fannying about with ball within 30 yards of our own goal. there defence cracked under the pressure on saturday and we've got to make sure we put them under from the first kick tommorow. for me gannon has two major issues to address.

1. 4-4-2 vs 4-5-1? we were miles better in the second half on saturday playing a 4-4-2, hateley and forbes were more involved in the game, jamie murphy got the ball in dangerous areas rather than the halfway line and big lukas could concentrate on playing through the middle rather than dropping short or wide all the time. gannon obviously puts a lot of faith in the 4-5-1 but everytime we've played 4-4-2 with jamie murphy through the middle we've scored at least two goals so i think we've got to go for that.

2. Higdon. the big haddy loves playing against us and set up one and almost another on saturday. i expect higdon will start on tomorrow so gannon will have to choose who's best equipped to deal with him craigan, saunders or hutchison. hopefully hammell will be back in at left back and reynolds can go back to cb.

my team.

ruddy

yassin saunders reynolds hammell

humphrey hateley forbes o'brien

murphy lukas

subs: coke, sutton, jennings, craigan, hutchison, mchugh, seb

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruddy

Hately Hutchison Reynolds Hammell

Humphrey Coke Forbes O'Brien

McHugh Sutton

I think Murphy has done ok, but I think it's time to give McHugh a chance and maybe take them by surprise. I'd also drop Moutakil as he was murder polis on saturday, although I'm not 100% comfortable with Hately at right back either. With the pace Humphrey has, there won't be as much need for an overlap anyway so I'd rather have him for his defensive ability. Also, despite the Dukes goals on saturday, I still think Sutton is better and will be that bit fresher. If we play this team I reckon we'd do the business, but I trust Jim Gannons judgement.

Got a feeling we might see Jennings in the midfield for this game. I just feel it in my water.

p.s. only 5 subs in the cup, no?

forgot about that. sorry but out ye go, mchugh and hutch.

i quite like to see jennings get a start sometime soon. but i've got my heart set on 4-4-2 and forbes is worth his place in centre midfield on saturday's showing and hateley is the manager's pet by the looks of things and looked very good with a wee bit more freedom to get forward in the second half on saturday. he's been great as the screen in front of the back 4 but i think he showed he's capable of much more than that. it could be a 120 minute effort anyway so those two plus giles and jenno could have all part to play.

I imagine that Jimbo will make a couple of changes for the game, especially after having a 'talk-in' with the team after the game on Saturday. Whether we will start with 4-4-2 or not is open to question, but I feel we are better placed to make tactical alterations that St Mirren are, and that could be what sways it for us.

It will all depend on the fitness of Hammell and Saunders, and if both are fit then Crags will probably drop to the bench. If not then Hutchinson will likely come in to the back four. In midfield I'd include Jennings if we maintain the 4-3-3, as he will hopefully dig in to allow the others to play. If we can't second guess him though, neither can Gus McPherson!

Any win would be fantastic, especially after the shite Scottish Cup performance last season. I think we'll get it, just.

We were saying on saturday that we thought Hammell was 'injured' so should start tomorrow.

Liked the 4-4-2 but Humphrey and Yassin just dont work together. Would go for the team Stellboy picked and will take The Juke for a hattrick.

For those who say Murphy isn't cut out for the SPL, reality check time.

I'm going to try and get to the game tomorrow night but it looks like I'm going to have to leave straight from work(Glasgow City Centre) and get the trian out. What's the chances of walking/running from Paisley St James train sation to the new ground unscathed? :P

Anyone else getting the train through??

CJ

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon:

"We're constantly trying to change the culture of the club for self-improvement. I think the way we approached the whole week wasn't great.

"There have been players who have been distracting other players and what we wanted to do was talk about what lessons we can learn from last week and the game.

He sounds pissed of with someone.

Ruddy

Hately Hutchison Reynolds Hammell

Humphrey Coke Forbes O'Brien

McHugh Sutton

Also, despite the Dukes goals on saturday, I still think Sutton is better and will be that bit fresher.

I'd be surprised if he dropped him for sutton. Lucas seems to be picking up a wee bit of momentum and I reckon more games is exactly what he needs to properly find his feet here. As always though, who knows what Gannon will do.

I'd be surprised if he dropped him for sutton. Lucas seems to be picking up a wee bit of momentum and I reckon more games is exactly what he needs to properly find his feet here. As always though, who knows what Gannon will do.

Aye madness lies that way if you start dropping strikers just as soon as they start banging them in!

St Mirren actually quite impressed my on Saturday. We are used to seeing them being stuffy and working hard to close down the opposition but they now actually look like they can pass the ball a bit more and have some goals in their team. I still think we'l cuff them 4-0.