Welcome to Steelmen Online
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

Twitter : (17 December 2017 - 10:34 AM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): A quick reminder folks that our re-arranged Youth Cup 4th Round tie against @StranraerFC, scheduled to take place t… https://t.co/rTy8WUsNpD
Twitter : (17 December 2017 - 12:01 AM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): HIGHLIGHTS | Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Motherwell https://t.co/XF4wQL3lue https://t.co/KC0KkLXdd5
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 09:08 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 🍾 | Looking for a Christmas stocking filler? How about a bottle of wine signed by your favourite Motherwell player?… https://t.co/kvgUVlBc83
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 07:08 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): GALLERY | Images from this afternoon’s 1-0 defeat at Rugby Park https://t.co/2CO2LJc8w7 https://t.co/XbvdEsPtUi
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 07:01 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): "We’ve played very well today and we haven’t come out with anything which is frustrating" https://t.co/2sv8AhO5XD
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 06:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): REPORT | Motherwell again slumped to defeat in an evenly-contested contest at Rugby Park, losing 1-0 thanks to Scot… https://t.co/2B4R6emHDx
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:51 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): FT: Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Motherwell https://t.co/aTxTZLacgR
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:47 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 90+1' | 1-0 Chance for Killie to seal the win as Kilitie goes through 1v1 but Dunne recovers well, holds him up an… https://t.co/oVGqfrePZy
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:46 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 90' | 1-0 Four minutes added on
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:41 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 85' | 1-0 Killie sub, Erwin on for Burke
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:39 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 82' | 1-0 Awful decision as Newell is hacked down wide on the left and lands on the ball with his hands. Free-kick to Killie.
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:36 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 80' | 1-0 Motherwell sub, MacLean on for Bigirimana
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:36 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 78' | 1-0 McHugh booked for a foul on Kiltie and Killie now have a free-kick just outside the box..Boyd drills it straight into the wall
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:31 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 75' | 1-0 Kilmarnock sub, Kiltie on for Brophy
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:29 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 73' | 1-0 Chance! Newell sends a shot fizzing just past the post from just inside the box
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:24 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 66' | 1-0 Jones comes in off the left and his shot is deflected and looks like it's going to go in but Griffiths s… https://t.co/JGGLFUoTNh
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:19 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 62' | 1-0 Motherwell sub, Newell on for Fisher.
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:18 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 57' | 1-0 Lovely turn from Bigirimana and then cross which wins 'Well a corner....headed just wide by Dunne!
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:11 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 55' | 1-0 Kilmarnock sub, Power off for Jones
Twitter : (16 December 2017 - 04:09 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): 52' | 1-0 Tait feeds the ball out to Kipré who curls the ball in to the head of Rose but MacDonald again makes the save

Photo

Scottish Referees

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Scottish Referees (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Incompetent or Corrupt?

1. Incompetent (53 votes [59.55%])

Percentage of vote: 59.55%

2. Corrupt (36 votes [40.45%])

Percentage of vote: 40.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

GazzyB

GazzyB

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,333 posts

I used to think it was incompetent, now I'm convinced it's corrupt.

Lukemfc1

Lukemfc1

First Team Regular

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I was never one for corruption theories however I think that Brenda now controls Scottish football. He is influencing the SFA via the media. The baw is officially burst. I have never been so angry at a football game in my life. Collum done that out of bias. Not incompetence, although he is that too.

I love robbo and get the reasons why he has stayed quiet but I genuinely think we need to stand up to this. Regardless of the consequences.

Andy H

Andy H

First Team Regular

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Can we have an option for both?

Big Wispy Flossy

Big Wispy Flossy

European Footballer of the Year

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
Theres absolutely no doubt that Brendans comments in the lead up to the game influenced the decision so therefore it is corrupt
She wore she wore a claret & amber ribbon, a claret and amber ribbon........

Well Up For It!

Well Up For It!

@ninjapotato10

• Legends
  • 1,832 posts
For me, I'd add third option that ties into both other summaries...they aren't held accountable.

This allows incompotence to fester and go unchecked and allow a degree of morale corruption to seep in.

Far greater transparency is needed...post match comments from referees, post match review panel, public rating system from SFA, VAR where possible, having refs wear a mic, etc.

This will allow a far better understanding, and dare I say sympathy, for the role of a referee and could almost immediately end any festering corruption and bring some positivity to what is a veru hard role.

The state of our refs lie firmly at the SFA's door and something has been needed for a long time. Only on song with us right now due to two horrendous penalty decisiona in 4 days.
  • Catweazles ring piece and StipeIsGod like this

weeyin

weeyin

Motherwell Legend

• SO Well Society Members
  • 13,362 posts
They are just as bad in the other leagues I follow. 

While I am in no way defending them, it's the cheating players that are more to blame. The punishments for conning the ref are far less severe than the benefit they get if they succeed. So there's not much to lose for them.
  • Busta Nut and Lobey_Dosser like this

Lobey_Dosser

Lobey_Dosser

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 7,036 posts
Incompetent but the lack of talent isnt limited to Scottish football.

The sooner VAR is introduced the better.

Pepper

Pepper

• Legends
  • 1,181 posts

The fact that the Head of Referee's clearly out of his depth son has been fast tracked through the system says it all. 

StipeIsGod

StipeIsGod

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 1,757 posts

For me, I'd add third option that ties into both other summaries...they aren't held accountable.

This allows incompotence to fester and go unchecked and allow a degree of morale corruption to seep in.

Far greater transparency is needed...post match comments from referees, post match review panel, public rating system from SFA, VAR where possible, having refs wear a mic, etc.

This will allow a far better understanding, and dare I say sympathy, for the role of a referee and could almost immediately end any festering corruption and bring some positivity to what is a veru hard role.

The state of our refs lie firmly at the SFA's door and something has been needed for a long time. Only on song with us right now due to two horrendous penalty decisiona in 4 days.

Outstanding.

Richie

Richie

• Legends
  • 1,258 posts
Its a mixture of shitebaggery and 'guesswork'/'hope for the best-work'
Makes life easier to give/deny in alot of cases.
I dont think the refs go into the game actively looking to give/deny decisions, but they fold in the seconds during which the decision is Made.
Apparently refs have to be certain to penalise, but that clearly isnt the case in some instances.

fat_tony

fat_tony

Motherwell Legend

• 1,734 posts

While I am in no way defending them, it's the cheating players that are more to blame. The punishment for conning the ref are far less severe than the benefit they get if they succeed. So there's not much to lose for them.

Thats exactly why the system needs to change. Footballs faster and more complicated than it used to be, and officials just cant be expected to keep up without the aid of technology to assist their decision making. Coupled with accountability, its the only way in my opinion to improve things.

The other big problem, and why the likes of Thompson and Collum keep getting games with no punishment, is that theres simply nobody else.
Posted Image

joewarkfanclub

joewarkfanclub

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:Motherwell FC, Scotland National Team, Skiing, Glayva and Jagermeister, not necessarily in that order!
I have always been of the opinion that our referees are more incompetent than corrupt and that their job isnt made any easier by players who go dive or feign injury. Sometimes their view is obstructed and they only get one chance to see what happened. However, that tonight is just inexplicable.
country road, take me home, to the place I belong.......

CoF

CoF

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 2,142 posts

While I am in no way defending them, it's the cheating players that are more to blame. The punishment for conning the ref are far less severe than the benefit they get if they succeed. So there's not much to lose for them.

This is it. 

I can accept honest mistakes, and that's what I believe most (if not all) refereeing errors are. 

The bigger issue here is the players and how their actions are assessed afterwards. Someone posted a link the other day to an English disciplinary hearing (bbc article I think) and they decided that while contact had been made by the defender, the fall of the attacker wasn't proportionate to the level of contact therefore it was deemed simulation. That's a sensible way to look at it and could easily be applied to both Sinclair and McGregor. Players would soon stop turning contact into a foul.  

When you have that freaky waxwork who manages the SPFL's biggest club actively promoting his players diving as an acceptable part of the game then we can see exactly where the problem is. 

The ref's are shite and always will be, but the bigger problem is the players, managers and a lack a robust and reasonable disciplinary process. 

• Clackscat likes this
‎"I think I'm allergic to leather, every time I wake up with my shoes on my heid is fuckin loupin." - Hamish Imlach

Shaka

Shaka

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 1,948 posts
It is 100% corruption. Not in the underhand taking a bung type way and I dont believe Refs go out thinking they are going to send someone off or give a decision, but its corruption all the same and heres why.

1.You get Saint Brendan in the press bleating about decisions and Celtic not getting enough penalties, our compliant media lap it up,
2.Players like Scott Brown and the Celtic team in general are given mythical status and our compliant media lap it up,
3. There is no real accountability for referees and they know the automatic fall back is "oh its just an honest mistake" so they take time and think about decisions for Motherwell/Partick/Dundee but automatically go with the easy decision for Rangers & Celtic
4. Celtic dont get a decision and lose, the Referee is blasted in the press, Celtic officials go on about "Clarification" and runs the risk of getting abuse in public/windows put in

All of these factors are taken into account by a referee and influence his decisions before the game even starts. You saw it the other season when Rangers had a man sent off in 5 mins v us, the ref couldnt wait to "even it up". In the cup final, Celtic are a far bigger team and 1-0 up already, pen is easy cause they are "still gonna win the game" so its given. I fucking hate Scottish Football and the corruption along with the behaviour of Rangers (and especially) Celtic fans and players is the biggest part of why. Fucking scum

ONeils40yarder

ONeils40yarder

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 2,878 posts

While I am in no way defending them, it's the cheating players that are more to blame. The punishments for conning the ref are far less severe than the benefit they get if they succeed. So there's not much to lose for them.

See in general, I agree with that, I watch football at all levels from boys club up to International and referees are forever making mistakes, or being manipulated into making decisions by fans, players coaches...however, that last night just seemed different, he couldn't wait to point to the spot in the 88th minute of a match, in which Celtic would have been beaten for the 1st time in 60-odd games domestically. He was what, half-a-dozen yards away from the incident, and he must have been the only person in the stadium to believe that it was a foul on the tim? He wanted to give it, and thats what he done.

Hugo Sanchez, eat your heart out!!!!

Nicky Law is a knob!!!!!!! Fuck the co-efficient!!!!

Well Up For It!

Well Up For It!

@ninjapotato10

• Legends
  • 1,832 posts

It is 100% corruption. Not in the underhand taking a bung type way and I dont believe Refs go out thinking they are going to send someone off or give a decision, but its corruption all the same and heres why.

1.You get Saint Brendan in the press bleating about decisions and Celtic not getting enough penalties, our compliant media lap it up,
2.Players like Scott Brown and the Celtic team in general are given mythical status and our compliant media lap it up,
3. There is no real accountability for referees and they know the automatic fall back is "oh its just an honest mistake" so they take time and think about decisions for Motherwell/Partick/Dundee but automatically go with the easy decision for Rangers & Celtic
4. Celtic dont get a decision and lose, the Referee is blasted in the press, Celtic officials go on about "Clarification" and runs the risk of getting abuse in public/windows put in

All of these factors are taken into account by a referee and influence his decisions before the game even starts. You saw it the other season when Rangers had a man sent off in 5 mins v us, the ref couldnt wait to "even it up". In the cup final, Celtic are a far bigger team and 1-0 up already, pen is easy cause they are "still gonna win the game" so its given. I fucking hate Scottish Football and the corruption along with the behaviour of Rangers (and especially) Celtic fans and players is the biggest part of why. Fucking scum

Great point as well, although for me that for me is a lack of integrity over corruption.

The point you make about things being played out in the press is very valid. A friend of mine who can't stand football (big rugby fan) said that we have a reputation for being hatchet men, which he has obviously gleamed from the press. And we most certainly aren't hatchet me. Big, strong, aggressive; yes, but never a dirty team. That perception has been allowed to flourish through utterly inept reporting from the MSM following on from Bowman-gate. I'm not a legal expert, but pretty sure a lot of the stuff published in very libellous.

So this "perception" is most definitely on the Old Firm fans mind, as the only ones still stupid enough to digest our sports press in this country, and that will affect the game. For me, it is also seeping into the minds of referees where they are believing what is written by absolute hatchet "journalists".

We need new rules and laws to govern this, managers who categorically deny wrong doing when it is later proved (ie, was definitely a penalty) one game touchline ban for bringing game into disrepute. We also need journalists who can press the status quo and question the bullshit, not bowing down to the manager of ANY team. Finally we need a controlling body that can take control from two clubs and not be afraid to stand up to them. Celtic/Rangers has zero authority over the SFA, yet the spineless cowards in charge are terrified of them. For what?

I would love to see the club lawyer up over this an make a real issue over it. Until someone does, then it will never change. Our refs will still be incompetent, the media will control the agenda and the big clubs will get all the decisions. 

fat_tony

fat_tony

Motherwell Legend

• 1,734 posts

We also need journalists who can press the status quo and question the bullshit, not bowing down to the manager of ANY team.

The trouble with that is that any journalists willing to do so are not going to be given the podium to do it.  The mainstream media in this country has its core demographic, and no editor is going to risk alienating the bulk of their customers.  Newspapers etc. are no longer about reporting the truth, they're about making money, plain and simple.

That leaves it to online and local press to ask the difficult questions and challenge things, which unfortunately just doesn't get the same widespread coverage.

• DunnyMFC and Happy Dosser like this
Posted Image

Well Up For It!

Well Up For It!

@ninjapotato10

• Legends
  • 1,832 posts

The trouble with that is that any journalists willing to do so are not going to be given the podium to do it.  The mainstream media in this country has its core demographic, and no editor is going to risk alienating the bulk of their customers.  Newspapers etc. are no longer about reporting the truth, they're about making money, plain and simple.

That leaves it to online and local press to ask the difficult questions and challenge things, which unfortunately just doesn't get the same widespread coverage.

While I get what you are saying, in today's digital age any journalist brave enough to make a stand would get the social media support. Maybe not the exposure of newspapers, TV or radio sure, but would be an origin point. 

Something has to give. 

Kmcalpin

Kmcalpin

Motherwell Legend

• 4,991 posts

Could we add "Bias" to the poll?

Part of the problem is an unrealistic level of expectation. We see football from all parts of Europe on television daily and fans are expecting....the technical ability and flair they see from Spain's La Liga and the top end of the English Premiership. Thats just not possible. It seems fashion is over-riding common sense.

GazzyB

GazzyB

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 5,333 posts

Bias and corruption are surely the same thing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users