Motherwell Vs Morton Discussion Thread

David

We see the visit of Morton in the cup this weekend, with us pretty big favourites to go through I'd reckon.

What do we think about team selection? Do we drop a few first team regulars in preparation for the away game at St Mirren the following week? Or go with our full strength team?

Got a very bad feeling about this one. We've won our last two on the trot and we're strongly expected to get through this one comfortably given that we're at home against a lower league side. But we've seen many a Motherwell side come a cropper in games like this down the years and I've a feeling Saturday will be the same unfortunately. As always though I hope to be proved wrong.

1-0 Morton

Got a very bad feeling about this one. We've won our last two on the trot and we're strongly expected to get through this one comfortably given that we're at home against a lower league side. But we've seen many a Motherwell side come a cropper in games like this down the years and I've a feeling Saturday will be the same unfortunately. As always though I hope to be proved wrong.

1-0 Morton

prozac10c.jpg

Might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

1-0 Morton

Boring.

Love cup games against lower league sides, its refreshing to see different teams.

Morton are an inconsistent team but on their game they can play some decent football and they will be a threat if we don't have the right attitude going into this so we will have to be switched on.

Looking forward to seeing Michael Tidser, by all accounts a player in the First division who could maybe step up a level and I'm a bit nervous about the return of Peter MacDonald, we all remember his last visit to Fir Park!

One we should win though. Hopefully we get a decent crowd too.

Morton lost at QOS last week, and we are in a bit of form at present. Big decision for the gaffer this week re the striking options available but I preferred the 2 up front formation on Saturday. Did Omar do enough to keep his place, or does Higgy come back in?

Looking forward to the game on Saturday. I actually agree with MJC quite a lot of the time but surely tae fuck we will win this? I know what he's saying though, and in no way am I complacent, and I'm sure the players won't be either? Anything other than a win would be complete disaster though.

Last time we played Morton in the cup was the Malpas season and although we weren't playing well at the time (understatement!!), we did have McDonald. We also had McCormack and Clarkson but they weren't how they would appear on paper...either way we are a much better team now.

How does the present Morton team compare to that one?

No need to field a weakened team for a game against st mirren thats a week away!!!!!

Usual strong team with a 2-0 win, murphy and ojamaa to seal it.

Draw aberdeen at home in the quarters win 15-0 with brown being sacked at half time.rolleyes.gif

Yea your right actually, drop Murphy aswell, and have Daley and Murphy on the bench.

Morton lost at QOS last week, and we are in a bit of form at present. Big decision for the gaffer this week re the striking options available but I preferred the 2 up front formation on Saturday. Did Omar do enough to keep his place, or does Higgy come back in?

I dont think he did, but McCall sees it different, Daley will start again Higdon on the bench.

1-0 Morton

Teeeeeeeeeeedious :help:

higdon in for daley other than that same team as last week,id like to see us try a front 3 in this game with ojamma and murphy playing either side of higdon with law,jenno and las in midfield.this is a tricky tie for us we cant afford to give morton the same amount chances as we gave queens park cause theyve got a couple of strikers that could still do a turn in the spl

Think its time to put Humphrey back in now... Cup game gives him the chance to impress, done well in all the other games, give Daley a rest, same team as last week.

Yer boy hasnt started any of the last4games.3wins, 1draw, coincidence??

No need to fuck with a winning team. Higdon back up top, murphy needs 2start after what went down yesterday.

Humphrey can do some stretches at the corner flag for the first 70minutes

Think its time to put Humphrey back in now... Cup game gives him the chance to impress, done well in all the other games, give Daley a rest, same team as last week.

I hope not! Humphrey is best used coming off the bench and in my opinion isn't a starter.

I'd also play Daley over Higdon. Nothing against Higdon but we played our best match since the first day of the season last week and I wouldn't change it.

Playing with Murphy, Daley and Ojamaa, in my opinion, gives us much more mobility and pace up front than hitting long balls up to Higdon. That's not really Higdon's fault but it's probably what is going to happen if he's there.

surely tae fuck we will win this?

On paper of course we should win this. We're the SPL side, they're the first division side. Not only that but we're currently the third placed SPL side whilst Morton are mid table in the first so we're favourites and rightly so.

But the same could have been said before Ayr Utd in 2000, Inverness 2004, Dundee 2008 or Alloa or Forfar in the League Cup. History tells us that games like this tend to trip Motherwell, especially when there's a bigger expetant crowd there to see it as you'd expect their to be on Saturday. Morton are more than capable of beating us on Saturday and I just feel that our poor home form and performances of late, apart from the wins against Dunfermline & Saints will come back to haunt us again.