Questioning Our Loyalty

yosemite sam

I have to take exception to Mark McGhee's comment regards showing loyalty towards him in the record. He says "In turning down Hearts I chose a job I knew would be much more difficult for a lot less money. I expect loyalty from our supporters in return." Who does he think he is! I have been a loyal supporter of Motherwell for over 40 years, and whether it's Mark McGhee or Mickey Mouse ( are they one and the same?) who is the manager, they will get my loyal support all the time. I just wish he would get on with the job in hand, of motivating the team to get the results we need.

Sorry folks but he does have a point, we all thought he was the messiah last season.

He guided us through Phil's death.

He took us to 3rd place and UEFA Cup.

Some may feel he touted himself for the Scotland job but it was McLeish and Strachan that said he was the man to lead us in the media. Once in a position for being considered I'd think that any manager with ambition would look at taking it.

The Hearts job, would folk really feel the way they do if he turned around from the plane door that was flying him down to the Portsmouthjob or any of the clubs in the EPL or top teams in the Championship?

I think we'd all agree he needed sectioned if he had.

So why do we feel this way about Hearts, because they are one of our rivals. The thing is that even Pre Romanov Hearts are a bigger club and a bigger job that Motherwell are. We should be saying he needed sectioned for staying as well.

Okay the reason he stayed was because he was made an improved deal by his current employer and yeah that showed loyalty to McGhee from JB, and McGhee returned that loyalty by staying. Just a shame that JB didn't show a little more loyalty by making sure we had a deeper squad and one that may have helped us reach the group stages but we've all felt that affects of administration so I suppose he can be forgiven for not freeing some money for one ompetition. (Doesn't mean I forgive him for everything else)

He could be sitting with a side capable of challnging the Old Firm, more money in his back pocket, enough players available to him that wouldn't mean he was sweating over losing the likes of Crags, DC, Quinn, Hughes etc.

If Motherwell were as big a club as Hearts we would be able to make sure players had a chance of renewing their contracts with us.

Hearts under Romanov maybe are running huge debts but look at the prices being quoted for teams that teams are supposed to be making for players like Berra, then look at the prices being quoted for ours. Berra for £5M, we didn't even get offered £1M for Reynolds. Even Faddy didn't command that high a fee.

So lets get real here, he did show us some loyalty and I am pretty sure that at some point in your life, if you're good at your job, and went to your employer and said to him, I'm leaving I've had a better offer from one of your rival companies you'd be offered a better deal. I know I have been on more than one occassion. I haven't always accepted it but I have at least twice. It depends on if you're enjoying not just the job but the challenges in that job as well.

So Yes he does deserve the loyalty as do the players which he also asked for.

How can we be loyal to Porter, IF he has signed a pre contract with Forest? Easy!!

Remember he scored the goal that secured us 3rd Place and the UEFA Cup and that hsi other goals last season got us there.

There is only one Mark McGhee.

Hope both Mark and the lads turn it around this afternoon. it can't be easy for the team hearing us booing them off he field after last seasons heroics, yeah we aren't playing as well as we were last season but it's still the same players.

C'MON THE 'WELL!!!

At this point in time, I have no problem getting behind MMG & the team, although I reserve the right to be critcal. I don't believe 'supporting' should mean blindly accepting everything that goes on, but in the main, I'm still behind all at FP.

It may be a case of journalistic license 'corrupting' what's been said by MMG (The Record wouldn't stoop to this, would they ;) ), but whether that's the case or not, MMG should be careful of what he's saying, unless he's happy in generating an awkward stuation.

They'll be plenty ready to stick the boot in in return

MON RA DOSSERS

People are always ready to analyse his every word. If he had said that he wished fans were a little bit less fickle would anyone disagree because that's basically what he is saying.

When it looked like he was leaving for Hearts the outpourings of grief and the support for him on this site were almost overwhelming because he had done very well for him. With the team not doing very poorly that support has gone - if he is aggrieved I am sure it is because the feelings have gone from one extreme to the other. As for his wages being doubled, there would have been an outcry from the support if John Boyle had not spent money to keep him, such was the feelings for him at that time.

I don't think a good manager can suddenly become a bad one and I for one am quite happy to give him some more time and not get on his back. Apart from anything else, I don't think we would be able to get in anyone with anything like his capabilities.

I was here a hell of a long time before Mark McGhee came rolling into town and I will be there once he has crawled back to the gay capital of the United Kingdom.

He has got the ability to pick a team up from nothing but I dont think he can turn a team on its way down.

There is no doubt that Hearts are a bigger club than Motherwell (So are Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hibs) but when he decided to stay at Motherwell it was for his own benefit as much as it was for us. He was going to take a team into Europe for the first time in his management career and something else to add to the CV. He got an increase in salary at Fir Park and I am also assuming some sort of promise of investment by the board. Dont let him kid you as he is making out to be the innocent victim in the downturn in our fortunes this season.

He dealt with the media really well last season and always came across as someone most people would like to listen to but his comments in the past couple of months have been awful and very distrepectful to us fans.

Think he will be here till May but will walk next summer.

I posted this in the "In the papers" section, but I think it fits better here

The loyalty comment amused me. McGhee (rightly, in my opinion) got rid of Corrigan last season. This despite the years of loyal service Corrigan had offered. Remember Corrigan was one of those who took a pay cut when we went into administration, he turned down more lucrative offers in order to stay at Fir Park, a guy that had put in a lot of years good service with us. McGhee moved him on because he simply wasn't up to doing the job. A few more weeks of defeats and you have to question whether McGhee is up to doing the job. McGhee has been in football a long time. He knows that loyalty only lasts as long as you are able to produce...

You've been at Motherwell F.C. for about 18 months - who the fuck are you to expect anything from the supporters who have been following Motherwell all their lives, never mind bringing their loyalty into question?

You are a tosser of the highest order.

Get yerself tae fuck.

While I may agree with Mitch and Jay, I have to say that McGhee has struck me as generally quite an intelligent guy. And as I've stated before, he's been in football a long time. That's why I find his choice of words strange. He could have said "After the season we had, I expected the fans to have a bit more faith in me". You could still argue that given the recent run of results he had used up some of that goodwill, but it wouldn't have been as offensive as questioning people's loyalty. I can't believe that he didn't consider what he said before he said it. Which makes me think he's trying to engineer a "I've lost the fans, no point in me staying where I'm not appreciated" excuse for walking away...

Quotes can take on a new meaning when printed out of context, but from that snippet, isn't McGhee asking for loyalty to himself personally during this bad spell, rather than having a dig at 'Well fans' loyalty to their club ? I think he's wanting the fans to believe in his ability. That's my interpretation of his remark.

You've been at Motherwell F.C. for about 18 months - who the fuck are you to expect anything from the supporters who have been following Motherwell all their lives, never mind bringing their loyalty into question?

You are a tosser of the highest order.

Get yerself tae fuck.

Well said, my thoughts exactly. ;)

Quotes can take on a new meaning when printed out of context, but from that snippet, isn't McGhee asking for loyalty to himself personally during this bad spell, rather than having a dig at 'Well fans' loyalty to their club ? I think he's wanting the fans to believe in his ability. That's my interpretation of his remark.

Spot on. I think it's a fair comment from McGhee. Ever since the apparent absolute and unforgivable treachery of considering another job I don't think the guy will ever be able to say anything right by some supporters now. I do think he is finding that section of support frustrating and has every right to speak out.

Spot on. I think it's a fair comment from McGhee. Ever since the apparent absolute and unforgivable treachery of considering another job I don't think the guy will ever be able to say anything right by some supporters now. I do think he is finding that section of support frustrating and has every right to speak out.

I'm afraid that his considering the Hearts job used to irk me but that's no longer the main issue for me. It's been far overtaken by poor team selections, baffling tactics and substitutions and substandard performances as reasons to be pissed off at him. Now, he knows football, if he expects the fans to be happy after 10 hours of football and only one goal to show for it, he's a fool. And I don't think he's a fool...

McGhee has questioned the loyalty of the fans at pretty much every club he has been at. Its one of the reasons that I believe that he does divide supporters.

He is wrong to question loyalty, just as he was wrong at previous clubs.

That said, the backing that the team receives during the 90 mins could be better.

Given our league position it is obvious that we need everyone to pull together over the 90, not bitch and moan when passes are misplaced, and tackles mis-timed.

It was not long ago that a fair number of the fans made their feelings known when Lasley was subbed. By his own admission, Lasley was having a stinker and had run out of gas. Hardly a wrong decision from the manager, but one the manager will remember being pilloried for.

If a player is not performing, or has a poor attitude, I expect the manager to deal with it. I respect McGhee for the fact that he sticks up for his teams/players. If we want the right to moan about decisions and performances (we pay our money after all) it is perfectly acceptable for the manager to question our attitudes, and backing.

Time to get off your high horses and back the team. I couldn't care less if McGhee is a tosser - as long as he cares about what happens on the pitch, and improves the club (assuming financial backing). I for one do not want another Malpas in charge.

There are more than a few things to question McGhee's performance on - especially IMHO his signings (or lack of them), but there is no point chucking toys out the pram when he turns the tables on us, and questions our backing.

At the end of the Inverness game would you rather have 3 points, or the opportunity to say 'I told you McGhee was a tosser'?

It is time to back the team, there's loads of us who aren't McGhee fans but it looks like for now at least we are stuck with him and him us. He does have the right to question our loyalty the same as we have questioned his, we may not like it, but he's entitled to his opinion also.

It is time to back the team, there's loads of us who aren't McGhee fans but it looks like for now at least we are stuck with him and him us. He does have the right to question our loyalty the same as we have questioned his, we may not like it, but he's entitled to his opinion also.

Quality Post wellgirl, we are a fickle lot aren't we. I dont give a rats bahookey who's in charge I'm backing the 'well

Mon the well lets turn this around starting with this hielan mob today

I try not to read what McGhee says anymore as everything that comes out his mouth riles me. He also would appear to believe that we are idiots and do not remember such gems as "I'll only sign a player if he is better than what we have" and the comedy gold of "if we go on a run in Europe, or league form may suffer as a result". Since no-one in the media or at the club has the bottle to ask him how it is possible for our league form to actually get any worse, he'll never have to justify these remarks. Never in any of these soundbites does he mention how his salary was doubled to stay at Motherwell. He only stayed co it benefitted him.

We were better off under Malpas at this stage of the season, and I don't think the football being played was any worse. No-one in the main stream media has the balls to raise that stat either.

I think TBH he was just referring to the traditional appeal to the fans to give him and the team their backing. I don't think he did the Jambo's U-turn purely out of loyalty to us, its a mutual benefit thing all round. Yes it cost Boyle another £100K or whatever, however he was hedging against McGhee taking us on a run in Europe and maintaining a reasonably high (top 6) league slot, both of which would've easily offset the expenditure, plus buffed up McGhees CV for his next move in the summer.

As it stands it ain't worked out that way, and you need to choose your words very carefully when the team ain't cutting it and you're not fulfilling expectations for whatever reason. I've said on more than one occasion McGhee is a very smart cookie, and if he doesn't turn it around soon, he has clearly laid the foundations for the "I'm not appreciated by the support, I'm walking" exit strategy.