Progress Report To Date

Kmcalpin

We're now past the first knock our stages in the League Cup and the first two league games. The transfer window has about another fortnight to run. How are we doing so far? I think its too early to draw definitive conclusions but here's my work in progress report.

Goalkeeper: Carson is a definite upgrade on Samson and is more reliable and better in the air. An all action packed keeper but prone top the odd rush of blood to the head.

Defence: Has potential but lacks experience and thats catching us out so far. Tait seems to be the weak link now. Not sure where Hammell & McManus go from here.

Midfield: Definitely better than last season although we're over reliant on attacking down the wings. On paper midfield looks better equipped to protect the defence but perhaps they're still getting to know one another. Wings are working well. Can't fathom out Rose yet. Until Saturday was fairly anonymous but played well in Perth. if I'm pushed I'd say he's a low profile player who can do a lot on unnoticed but valuable spadework.

Attack: my biggest concern. Moult is struggling for fitness and not getting decent service. Bowman and Fisher just aren't cutting the mustard. Both work very hard but are firing blanks. Of the two Fisher has shown slightly more. Bowman to move on?

In general I'm not a fan of the 3 at the back or of the single striker formation. Good to see the team is more physical this year and less prone to bullying by the opposition. However we're a bit naive and inexperienced.

Where to we go from here? Obviously the team will settle down and gel more given the large number of new players arriving. I'd say we need an experienced defender and a quick striker up front.

Bigi has not been making the impact I hoped he would, seems very lightweight and easily knocked off the ball to the point he is easily brushed aside by most players so far in the games I have been to. This hasn't allowed him to show us his attacking game much, just a few glimpses here and there.

• Like 1

We have a better squad than last year, thankfully a lot of the deadwood has gone, once we get one win in the league i can see us putting a run together. I also believe we will comfortably avoid relegation this season and expect to see us ideally challenging for a top 6 place but more likely 7th or 8th in the league.

The difference for me is that although we're not looking much better than last season, there is some potential there and there seems to be a plan (whether it will work or not is a different question). Last year was desperate and our squad was pieced together.

I think we're still a couple of players short or what we need, especially upfront. Swap Bowman for someone of reasonable quality and I think we'll be in a better place. With another high earner in McManus not in the playing budget we can hopefully get another striker in.

I like Robinson. I like how he speaks in interviews and I like how he has approached recruitment by bringing in younger more athletic guys. Hopefully they can play football but we're now at least built for a scrap if it comes to it!

It all looks good on paper and in theory but if we can't manage to win the odd game then it all falls apart.

I've maintained since the fixtures came out that we would probably lose our opening 2 games but that if we're still pointless after the Killie game then I will start panicking.

After Killie we have Hibs and Aberdeen so it's unlikely we'll get anything there.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself and I really really hope it doesn't come to this but If we lose the opening 7 games, you're in full blown crisis mode and there would be massive pressure on everyone.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself and I really really hope it doesn't come to this but If we lose the opening 7 games, you're in full blown crisis mode and there would be massive pressure on everyone.

This had me choking on my lunchtime chicken sausage with laughter. Honestly, milo, if we WON 7 in a row I think you'd still be in full blown crisis mode ;)