Time To Take A Stand Against Diving?

MFCL84

The only thing I'd say is that, sometimes its impossible to make the call even with Video evidence. Faddy reckons Sundays was a penalty, and I've heard plenty of folk who think last nights was too.

Indeed, and that's true of all sports with video referees; ultimately a mere human has to make an impartial decision, and sometimes they'll still get it wrong, or the right video angle won't be available to show exactly what happened. But if it means the big decisions get called right more often without massively impacting the flow of the game, that still seems like a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

I have no idea what constitutes a foul anymore. It seems the penalty box is some hyper-sensitive part of the field where any physical contact isn't allowed.

Some years ago Crags conceded a costly penalty at McDiarmid Park for facing the wrong way at a corner kick (no physical contact was made). Instead of facing the corner kick taker he turnmed round and faced his opponent. I've never heard an adequate explanation for that one.

It seems the penalty box is some hyper-sensitive part of the field where any physical contact isn't allowed. Unless it's a corner of course where players are allowed to manhandle each other all they want - I assume for a set period of time counted down in the refs head before 'no touchy time' resumes.

This. A million times this. It's utterly insane.

There was a glimmer of hope a few seasons ago when on opening day (was it Queen of the South or someone?) multiple players got booked at corners. But the referee was obviously told that was the wrong moment to enforce the rules and it passed by into memory.

Until there's consistent decision making (which should be aided by whatever technology is available), I've no doubt it'll continue to be totally baffling.

The only thing I'd say is that, sometimes its impossible to make the call even with Video evidence.

(This isnt a dig btw in case it comes over as one)

But surely if its impossible to call the ref cant give the decision.

I think half the problem is that they are using guesswork to give decisions and hoping for the best, particularly when certain teams are involved.

We also now have the situation where 'contact' is being used as a get out of jail card.

A foul still requires to be committed for a team to be penalised. Contact is irrelevant.

• Like 1

(This isnt a dig btw in case it comes over as one)

But surely if its impossible to call the ref cant give the decision.

I think half the problem is that they are using guesswork to give decisions and hoping for the best, particularly when certain teams are involved.

We also now have the situation where 'contact' is being used as a get out of jail card.

A foul still requires to be committed for a team to be penalised. Contact is irrelevant.

Totally agree...a referee must be 100% confident that a foul has been committed before he gives a penalty. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure that Video evidence would clear them all up.

Totally agree...a referee must be 100% confident that a foul has been committed before he gives a penalty. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure that Video evidence would clear them all up.

I think video evidence would be enough to say no penalty in both these cases.

I dont think video evidence would be enough to call it a dive.

Sometimes there can be a coming together of players without a foul being committed, but not necessarily an out and out dive, the whole there was contact thing makes it very hard to get a clear dive.

The thing with video evidence in rugby is the questioning.

If the referee feels he sees the ball grounded for example he asks "Any reason I cannot award the try?" With this the player gets the benefit of the doubt and the try is inevitably awarded.

If the referee thinks he saw something but isnt sure, he asks "Try / No Try" then its the letter of the law, any dubiety the try isnt awarded.

Thats how you get round video evidence dubiety.

While I would welcome the use of VAR technology, the blue and green ugly sisters would abuse it for their own ends, they would be in the refs faces like rabid dogs wanting a review of every decision against them, and given that the SFA / SPFL / and the refs are all shitebags when it comes to dealing with them they would get away with it. Can you imagine the meltdown we would be having now if it had been Motherwell who had been awarded those penalties.

While I would welcome the use of VAR technology, the blue and green ugly sisters would abuse it for their own ends, they would be in the refs faces like rabid dogs wanting a review of every decision against them

Easily avoided by using the NFL or Wimbledon system, where you get a limited number of challenges per match so you have to pick your battles wisely. Or more likely, the system they're currently using in the MLS and Bundesliga, where only four specific situations can be referred to the VAR (goals, penalties, red cards, and mistaken identity).

Windass booked for diving in the Aberdeen game. Yellow card? Totally worth it.

If denying a clear goalscoring opportunity is worth a red then surely cheating to create a clear goalscoring opportunity (penalty) should be worth a red as well?

The only way to get rid of this is in our game is to have genuine consequences. All clear dives should carry a two match ban.

• Like 1

Presumably if Windass' leg had caught Lewis, then that would consitute 'contact' and a 'stonewaller' though.

Agree with the point though. Well worth the risk of a yellow.

Particularly when you can initiate/ensure contact.

Ironically, if you get away with it in the game, you can end up with a ban on review.