Scottish Premiership Game 17: Partick (A) 13/12/17 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Having just seen the highlights I have to say I was expecting worse from Griffiths at the free kick. Could done better but why the free kick given away in the first place?

Sammon is wide of the goal and 20 yards out, absolutely no need to charge in and go to ground in that situation. For me that's just as bad if not worse than the goalkeeping.

Im not sure it was actually a foul but you are 100% right. No need to go to ground and give the ref a decision to make. Show him down the line. He was going nowhere.

Im not sure it was actually a foul but you are 100% right. No need to go to ground and give the ref a decision to make. Show him down the line. He was going nowhere.

Just another in a long list of bad decisions from

McHugh this season. His first booking at Perth the day he was sent off was an utterly needless challenge also.

What we need is the team to be set up correctly in the first half, and not at half time. The number of games where we have been poor in the first half of the game and gone behind, only to come out in the second half with substitutions and been a whole lot better is quite astonishing.

• Like 2

What we need is the team to be set up correctly in the first half, and not at half time. The number of games where we have been poor in the first half of the game and gone behind, only to come out in the second half with substitutions and been a whole lot better is quite astonishing.

I dont think we were that poor in the first half last night. But if we had set up with 4 at the back it may have given us more structure and the individual mistakes may not have happened.

Agree with lobey dosser that McHugh seems to have regressed since he got the armband. I think he is maybe trying too hard because he feels he has to set the benchmark for the rest of the squad. I would give the band to Hartley and let McHugh get back to doing what he was doing last season. He hasn't become a bad player and everybody and their granny on here said he was a shoe_in for the captaincy based on his performances last season.

COYW

Agree with lobey dosser that McHugh seems to have regressed since he got the armband. I think he is maybe trying too hard because he feels he has to set the benchmark for the rest of the squad. I would give the band to Hartley and let McHugh get back to doing what he was doing last season. He hasn't become a bad player and everybody and their granny on here said he was a shoe_in for the captaincy based on his performances last season.

COYW

I've never understood how being captain of a football side could be a mental weight to carry. Other than the kick-off coin toss, what exactly is the point of them? There are natural leaders and natural followers in life, an armband with a club crest won't change that. Players should be equally motivated to win their own individual battles, if they're not up to it, the manager has options to change it.

We also have managers, assistant managers, fitness coaches and so-on on the touchline delivering messages throughout the game. So again, what is the actual point of a captain on the pitch?

Back to McHugh; I've rarely seen a player at this level with such poor distribution. It is simply awful. We're not talking about the odd misplaced ball, he's doing it dozens of times every game. He also regularly makes abysmal tackling decisions and overall, is a negative influence in the team. Never in a million years a central midfielder, and should only be an emergency centre half. He seems to have won some fans over because he likes a meaty challenge... I'd have booted my granny back in the day when she could play a bit, but it wouldn't have altered the fact I was completely shite at fitba.

But aye... Mibbe it's wearing an arm band that's his problem.

I said it on another thread but despite McHugh's poorer form I think we need him as the anchor man in midfield. Team has look a lot more comfortable with him holding.

There's only one anchor man...

Just cannae see what he offers in that role... On the ball he gives it away far too often, and defensively costs us with silly tackles. But it's healthy that I've eventually disagreed with you on something! :good:

Haven't made as many games this season due to my own Saturday football commitments, so some of these assessments may be a bit flippant given last night was just my 7th game of the season, but anyway...

Griffiths badly at fault for a free kick, from that angle it should take an absolutely exceptional free kick to beat a goalkeeper, one that's above Blair Spittal's level of talent. The sooner Carson is back the better. It was also concerning how we had no keeper on the bench, surely both youth keepers being out on loan at once is unprofessional, particularly as Morrison hasn't played a minute at Clyde.

The shape of the back three was horrid in the first half. McHugh, although I believe centre half to be his best position, didn't have a fantastic evening by any stretch, however I don't think Kipre's positioning helped him at all, as he seemed to be making mistakes covering an area I'd expect Kipre to be in. Dunne's distribution wasn't fantastic either and along with Petravicius, I see more athletic ability than footballing. I'd bring Hammell and go for a four at the weekend, unless the plastic pitch disrupts that line of thinking. Hammell brings a calmness in possession that we could really have used and unless we are expecting a rapid right winger from Killie to run riot, I wouldn't see the merits of playing Dunne.

I can only judge Petravicius on 90 minutes (45 v Celtic, 45 v Partick) but so far he hasn't looked to offer anything other than being reasonably fast. Eliphas Shivute and Andy Roddie were reasonably fast, even Omar Daley had a wee burst in him. Perhaps he needs a run of constant games to get up to speed, but I don't feel like we could carry a passenger.

I was surprised to see Grimshaw go off at half time, as I thought he was easily the best of the three in the first half, although being the best of the three amounted to winning a couple of tackles and going on a couple of runs. Campbell was poor for their third goal but given how good he's been I think we can cut him some slack for that. Rose was a ghost.

I'd agree with Robinson that Frear was about all who got pass marks in the first half, but I think he needs to look closer to home for how we failed last night. Filling a team full of athletes and battlers may be okay against some teams, but against the bottom side we should be the ones looking to play football. Waiting till half time to bring on two players who can actually trap and pass a ball was ludicrous. Our football in the first half was painful to the eyes.

In the second half, the 4-2-3-1 formation we played seemed to be best I've ever seen our shape without Moult at any point. Bowman had a cumbersome performance and timed several jumps wrong, but did try his heart out and obviously got a goal. I think he will only ever be foil for someone and can't see him being the main man himself.

With a back four, we were rarely troubled at the back by Partick and going forward Tanner and Bigi's use of the ball made the difference. The two of them must start on Saturday.

Didn't feel too aggrieved by the goal being disallowed (haven't watched it back yet) as I thought it was offside and had we not been buoyed by the decision, I don't think we'd have scored so soon afterwards. What was annoying was the fact that how big an influence Cerny had on it and how out of control the ref was afterwards. Cerny wasted time about 7 or 8 times without booking. Allowing that sets a precedent for the future.

It seemed to be that there was a way to beat Partick last night and Robinson didn't do adequate homework to work it out. Battling against bigger teams is fair enough but we need to trust in ourselves to take the game to smaller teams.

• Like 5

It seemed to be that there was a way to beat Partick last night and Robinson didn't do adequate homework to work it out. Battling against bigger teams is fair enough but we need to trust in ourselves to take the game to smaller teams.

A good thought provoking post.

The worrying thing is that Roboinson said beforehand that he'd watched Partick several times this season (and so should have known how they'd set themselves up and play). That being the case, his gameplan, although founded on reliable information, was deficient.

Haven't made as many games this season due to my own Saturday football commitments, so some of these assessments may be a bit flippant given last night was just my 7th game of the season, but anyway...

Griffiths badly at fault for a free kick, from that angle it should take an absolutely exceptional free kick to beat a goalkeeper, one that's above Blair Spittal's level of talent. The sooner Carson is back the better. It was also concerning how we had no keeper on the bench, surely both youth keepers being out on loan at once is unprofessional, particularly as Morrison hasn't played a minute at Clyde.

The shape of the back three was horrid in the first half. McHugh, although I believe centre half to be his best position, didn't have a fantastic evening by any stretch, however I don't think Kipre's positioning helped him at all, as he seemed to be making mistakes covering an area I'd expect Kipre to be in. Dunne's distribution wasn't fantastic either and along with Petravicius, I see more athletic ability than footballing. I'd bring Hammell and go for a four at the weekend, unless the plastic pitch disrupts that line of thinking. Hammell brings a calmness in possession that we could really have used and unless we are expecting a rapid right winger from Killie to run riot, I wouldn't see the merits of playing Dunne.

I can only judge Petravicius on 90 minutes (45 v Celtic, 45 v Partick) but so far he hasn't looked to offer anything other than being reasonably fast. Eliphas Shivute and Andy Roddie were reasonably fast, even Omar Daley had a wee burst in him. Perhaps he needs a run of constant games to get up to speed, but I don't feel like we could carry a passenger.

I was surprised to see Grimshaw go off at half time, as I thought he was easily the best of the three in the first half, although being the best of the three amounted to winning a couple of tackles and going on a couple of runs. Campbell was poor for their third goal but given how good he's been I think we can cut him some slack for that. Rose was a ghost.

I'd agree with Robinson that Frear was about all who got pass marks in the first half, but I think he needs to look closer to home for how we failed last night. Filling a team full of athletes and battlers may be okay against some teams, but against the bottom side we should be the ones looking to play football. Waiting till half time to bring on two players who can actually trap and pass a ball was ludicrous. Our football in the first half was painful to the eyes.

In the second half, the 4-2-3-1 formation we played seemed to be best I've ever seen our shape without Moult at any point. Bowman had a cumbersome performance and timed several jumps wrong, but did try his heart out and obviously got a goal. I think he will only ever be foil for someone and can't see him being the main man himself.

With a back four, we were rarely troubled at the back by Partick and going forward Tanner and Bigi's use of the ball made the difference. The two of them must start on Saturday.

Didn't feel too aggrieved by the goal being disallowed (haven't watched it back yet) as I thought it was offside and had we not been buoyed by the decision, I don't think we'd have scored so soon afterwards. What was annoying was the fact that how big an influence Cerny had on it and how out of control the ref was afterwards. Cerny wasted time about 7 or 8 times without booking. Allowing that sets a precedent for the future.

Excellent post.

The big question mark over last night's second half performance, of course, is how much being 3 behind and having nothing to lose made a difference.

It's always easier to play "catch up" when there's nothing at stake.

Having said that, the 2nd half line up is the kind of team I'd prefer to see more often - they just need to prove they can perform consistently and win games over 90 minutes.

Spot on re the keeper on the bench point. No prospect of an emergency loan? Surely John Burridge was just waiting for our call...

Spot on re the keeper on the bench point. No prospect of an emergency loan? Surely John Burridge was just waiting for our call...

The weird thing about it is that Morrison hasn't played a minute for Clyde. Not sure the value of him sitting on their bench when we have no one sitting on ours.

• Like 1

Yea but for some stupid reason can only recall to play for under 20s not first team .

They can play for our 20s at any time during a development loan as long as it doesn't clash with a game for their loan club (hence why Celtic often play our 20s on a Friday so we can't use our loaned-out players if they have a game less than 24 hours later for their loan club's first team). If we want them to come back and be part of our first team match day squad, we have to formally recall them, if the contract allows.