Scottish Premiership Game 17: Partick (A) 13/12/17 19:45

Yabba's Turd

This is a game that's got Craig Tanner all over it

I thought he made a difference when he came on on Saturday but there was very little in the way of options or link up play. I also thought the much derided Bigi did alright as well but we just didn't look as though we knew what we were trying to do.

The last time we played at Firhill Robinson started Jules and Blyth which raised questions about whether he had any ability to judge players. We had some dreadful performances on Saturday and while Bowman will have to play Petravicius, Frear and Rose should be getting a night off.

There have been quite a few players riding on the effort of others this season and getting a pass while putting in Craig Clay level performances. Without Moult we need a serious rethink about tactics as launching long balls and playing the percentages isn't going to work without him.

He didn't start Blyth. He came on as a sub.

Robinson confirms in press conference that along with Moult, Cadden, Hartley, Fisher and possibly Carson are all out for this.

Wouldnt be the worst time to find out the firhill undersoil hearing isnt up to scratch.

:lol:

Given how poor McHugh has been in midfield, might be a chance to drop him to centre half in the absence of Hartley.

Griffiths

Tait

McHugh

Kipre

Dunne

Frear

Rose

Campbell

Grinshaw

Tanner

Bowman

Wouldnt be the worst time to find out the firhill undersoil hearing isnt up to scratch.

:lol:

Given how poor McHugh has been in midfield, might be a chance to drop him to centre half in the absence of Hartley.

Griffiths

Tait

McHugh

Kipre

Dunne

Frear

Rose

Campbell

Grinshaw

Tanner

Bowman

He played centre half on Saturday in Hartley's absence and played reasonably well.

Hadnt realised that.

Was doubt of whether he was actually good there last season or others were just so bad.

Maybe thats his best position? As hes been really disappointing in midfield.

That was his position - I’m sure - before Derek Adams turned him into a defensive midfielder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time we played at Firhill Robinson started Jules and Blyth which raised questions about whether he had any ability to judge players. We had some dreadful performances on Saturday and while Bowman will have to play Petravicius, Frear and Rose should be getting a night off.

There have been quite a few players riding on the effort of others this season and getting a pass while putting in Craig Clay level performances. Without Moult we need a serious rethink about tactics as launching long balls and playing the percentages isn't going to work without him.

After some of your chronic posts, nobody on here suggests you take a night or two off.

Rose does the donkey work and continually gets a start telling me the manager either values his contribution or he's flogging one of his signings in the hope he comes good. I'm inclined to go with the former.

Frear has had precious little time to impress this season and it must be frustrating for him as from January to May he was consistently our best player.

I'm inclined to not agree with your suggestion for those reasons.

As for your second point, agree wholeheartedly.

Agree wholeheartedly with your point about long balls, however to have a go at Robbo for playing Blyth and Jules last year is pretty disengenious. Look I get it you don't rate/like/want him but at least be fair....he had precious little option player wise last year and for keeping arguably the worst squad we have had for decades in the top division he deserves great praise, not criticised for picking certain players who he didn't rate himself

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agree wholeheartedly with your point about long balls, however to have a go at Robbo for playing Blyth and Jules last year is pretty disengenious. Look I get it you don't rate/like/want him but at least be fair....he had precious little option player wise last year and for keeping arguably the worst squad we have had for decades in the top division he deserves great praise, not criticised for picking certain players who he didn't rate himself

The best of all of it is Blyth didn't start the game that steelboy is alleging, he came on as a sub....usual level of nonsense fuelled with inaccuracy from steelboy here.

• Like 2

After some of your chronic posts, nobody on here suggests you take a night or two off.

Rose does the donkey work and continually gets a start telling me the manager either values his contribution or he's flogging one of his signings in the hope he comes good. I'm inclined to go with the former.

I watched Rose on Saturday. During the first half he made three passes. Two five yards back and one ten yards sideways. All in our half. He didn't win the ball once. Didn't get close to tackling a Hearts player until the 40th minute. Headed it once in the entire half. Didn't show for the ball to feet (just tried his usual run in the corner party piece). It was a complete horror show and completely hung Campbell out to dry.

Frear is too passive. He hides out on the wing and when he gets the ball he is hesitant.

I was obviously wrong about Blyth. I forgot he started the Accies game and came on as a sub at Firhill. It still raises the question of what Robinson was thinking.

We have a core of 4 players. The spine down the middle is decent - Carson, Hartley, Campbell, Moult. The truth is the rest are mediocre, out of form, inconsistent or just plain poor.

Griffiths seems like a decent back up to Carson but if we lose Hartley at the back I think we are really struggling there with Kipre and Dunne. Campbell is the only performing midfielder we've had all season and the rest need to get the finger out, especially our club captain who I think has been abysmal this term.

Moult is great, best striker in the league outwith Celtic, but he's not going to be around in 2018 if you believe what you read. That leaves us with a serious problem in terms of goal scoring because the other guys we have aren't up to it. Bowman can perform the foil role but he's not going to get 15 - 20 league goals a season. Might not even get 10.

Says a lot that both Hearts and St. Johnstone can leap frog us this midweek if we lose. Hearts have 1 win in 7 and St. Johnstone 2 wins in 9, ie, they aren't that good.

Overall I think the standard of the league this term has been pretty poor, even Celtic are on a downward trajectory.

We have a core of 4 players. The spine down the middle is decent - Carson, Hartley, Campbell, Moult. The truth is the rest are mediocre, out of form, inconsistent or just plain poor.

Griffiths seems like a decent back up to Carson but if we lose Hartley at the back I think we are really struggling there with Kipre and Dunne. Campbell is the only performing midfielder we've had all season and the rest need to get the finger out, especially our club captain who I think has been abysmal this term.

Moult is great, best striker in the league outwith Celtic, but he's not going to be around in 2018 if you believe what you read. That leaves us with a serious problem in terms of goal scoring because the other guys we have aren't up to it. Bowman can perform the foil role but he's not going to get 15 - 20 league goals a season. Might not even get 10.

Says a lot that both Hearts and St. Johnstone can leap frog us this midweek if we lose. Hearts have 1 win in 7 and St. Johnstone 2 wins in 9, ie, they aren't that good.

Overall I think the standard of the league this term has been pretty poor, even Celtic are on a downward trajectory.

Cannae argue with any of that actually.

Going for 3 here...third time in a row I agree with you Ya Bezzer!

The team has been pretty consistent this season to date, from a personnel perspective.

Losing a few players at the same time is always going to be a challenge. When it's Carson, Hartley, Moult and now Cadden, 4 of our influential players, it's going to be even more of a challenge.

We all hoped the players on the outskirts could come in and immediately stake a claim for their place. What we got on Saturday was those players not exactly doing that but also our more average players dropping in performance levels without the regulars around then. Bit of a perfect storm of shite.

Partick will be interesting as we've not had much time to train since Saturday. I don't expect us to win but I'll be nicely surprised if we do. If we don't win it's not time for toys out the pram and panic yet. The manager and players (rate them or not) have got us to where we are right now and beaten some good teams along the way.

• Like 2

Going for 3 here...third time in a row I agree with you Ya Bezzer!

The team has been pretty consistent this season to date, from a personnel perspective.

Losing a few players at the same time is always going to be a challenge. When it's Carson, Hartley, Moult and now Cadden, 4 of our influential players, it's going to be even more of a challenge.

We all hoped the players on the outskirts could come in and immediately stake a claim for their place. What we got on Saturday was those players not exactly doing that but also our more average players dropping in performance levels without the regulars around then. Bit of a perfect storm of shite.

Partick will be interesting as we've not had much time to train since Saturday. I don't expect us to win but I'll be nicely surprised if we do. If we don't win it's not time for toys out the pram and panic yet. The manager and players (rate them or not) have got us to where we are right now and beaten some good teams along the way.

Great post...I just hope we don't get toys out the pram from sections of our support if we don't pick up points in next few games as that certainly won't help.

I think we have exceeded everyone's expectations thus far and it is unrealistic to expect a club like us to cope with losing our 4 best players for a few games without a dip in performances. It would be great if the fringe players DO step up but if they don't that will help inform Robbo's decisions come January.

• Like 1

Not sure what your point actually is there. What are your expectations this season? Nothing wrong with ambition and big dreams, but that's hardly a balanced view of the situation.

I'd say we've had 3 disappointing results - 4-1 St Johnstone, 3-2 County and 1-0 Hearts. We've been to a Cup Final, gone toe to toe with Celtic twice, beaten Aberdeen twice and Rangers once and have consistently taken points off the teams around us in a damn tight league. That's all off the back off one of the biggest squad turnovers in the clubs recent history.

What more are you realistically expecting after 23 competitive games? I'd say it's not too bad considering the majority of the squad is, according to you; mediocre, inconsistent, out of form or just plain poor.

Honestly, if you've considered where we were in the summer and considered where we are now and still aren't satisfied then maybe Motherwell isn't the team for you. I don't mean to be disparaging but really, what are your expectations at this stage?

• Like 5

Given Robinson had one window to completely refresh a massively under-performing team, I'd say stage one was successful.

Next window, it looks like we'll need to replace one or two key players, but all the noises coming from the club are that we at least know who our targets are.

Anything around mid-table in May, and with no relegation scares, would be a big improvement on the last couple of seasons.

I'm actually quite surprised at the level of performance given how many new players we have.

• Like 1

Not sure what your point actually is there. What are your expectations this season? Nothing wrong with ambition and big dreams, but that's hardly a balanced view of the situation.

I'd say we've had 3 disappointing results - 4-1 St Johnstone, 3-2 County and 1-0 Hearts. We've been to a Cup Final, gone toe to toe with Celtic twice, beaten Aberdeen twice and Rangers once and have consistently taken points off the teams around us in a damn tight league. That's all off the back off one of the biggest squad turnovers in the clubs recent history.

What more are you realistically expecting after 23 competitive games? I'd say it's not too bad considering the majority of the squad is, according to you; mediocre, inconsistent, out of form or just plain poor.

Honestly, if you've considered where we were in the summer and considered where we are now and still aren't satisfied then maybe Motherwell isn't the team for you. I don't mean to be disparaging but really, what are your expectations at this stage?

Cannae argue with any of that either!

Looking at our next 3 games and the games of the teams around us. We could do ourselves a huge favor by picking up all 9 points. Tall order I know considering our injuries but totally not out with the realms of possibility. Seems like there's a lot of games where teams around us are playing each other. If we can somehow grind out 3 wins on the trot here, we will setting pretty for the end of the year.