Scottish Premiership Game 18: Kilmarnock (A) 16/12/17 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I didn't think SR looked frightened myself, just raging, but he has a lot to think about for Saturday.

I think our best performance this season was against the Mutton Molesters in the LC, and I was very impressed with Hammell that night, both in passing and crossing. Dunne can only offer some speed and average tackling: his distribution is very poor.

It's also no surprise we haven't really reproduced our pressing, physical game since the media piled in following the LCSF. The three Sellick games seem overall to have demoralised and physically stressed the squad to some extent, and the loss of King Louis will not help.

While I enjoyed our win against Aberdeen, I feel that the creative players we have have not been given much space to flourish. I still rate Frear and think that Bigi can find men with a pass, and Tanner has some potential. I'm still not sure SR knows where to play him, though. Still, if that kind of thing is good enough for Derek McInnes.......

Our defence last night was shambolic and players I was happy with until recently have been found out on more than one occasion, like Cedric. McHugh seems to have lost his mojo and now I don't know what his best position is. Hartley has proved to be a rock and Carson impressive.

I'm hoping the return of those two will signal an improvement but our main problem at the moment seems to be up front. No easy answers there unless we bring in Moult Mk. II in January.

Sounds like Newell isn't quite fit yet (whatever was wrong with him) so I'm guessing he won't be near the plastic for this one.

Glad to hear something about Newell. Can anyone say what the position is on Plummer? Haven't heard anyone mention him.

]

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

My wife and all her family are Killie fans, so these are the game I always love to get a win in for bragging rights.

However, I'm not confident given our recent run. Killie, for me anyway, are a better side than Hearts and Partick with a better manager.

I hate the term "must win game", but I think it can be applied here to a reasonable degree. We are much closer to bottom than we are to third place and games against Killie are the ones we should be winning if we have any ambition of a top 6 finish. Sure, the cup run was fantastic and there has been a few superb performances this year as well as a lot of encouraging work on and off the park, but starting to get a little concerned over our consistency. With Moult away in January - and likely out until then - it's another hurdle for us to overcome in replacing his goals. Not trying to be a doom merchant, I've always been a glass half full type when it comes to Motherwell, but just a few little warning signs appearing now that we need to eliminate quickly or we could find ourselves dragged down the table.

I didn't expect the 4 points from the Aberdeen and Celtic double header, so that is a bonus. However, on the flip side I was looking at a minimum of 9pts from the following 6 games - and after 2 games we have zero.

Need to get back to winning ways, and Robinson really needs to get the team back on track.

Carson, Hartley, Cadden and obviously Moult still injured and will miss tomorrows game according to Robinson which is hugely disappointing as Im sure he indicated they should be back for tomorrow prior to the Thistle game.

Frear also facing a late fitness test.

It never rains but it pours!

I'd probably stick with 5 in the middle but we still have loads of options. Playing devil's advocate here. Hammell could come in at left back and Dunne could move into his favoured position in the middle. That would allow McHugh to return to midfield. Fisher and Bowman up front. Tanner can play on either wing and Sid could start - possibly his kind of game where we'll need to break fast from being under the cosh. We also have MacLean champing at the bit. Bigi too may think he's earned a start.

No point in risking Frear - keep him safe and sound for a more winnable game against Dundee.

I'd probably stick with 5 in the middle but we still have loads of options. Playing devil's advocate here. Hammell could come in at left back and Dunne could move into his favoured position in the middle. That would allow McHugh to return to midfield. Fisher and Bowman up front. Tanner can play on either wing and Sid could start - possibly his kind of game where we'll need to break fast from being under the cosh. We also have MacLean champing at the bit. Bigi too may think he's earned a start.

No point in risking Frear - keep him safe and sound for a more winnable game against Dundee.

Its an interesting game. From Robbos comments Killie are going more direct under Clarke and getting it forward quickly so perhaps 4 at the back and picking up more second balls might be more important than 5 in the middle.

If we are 4 at the back i think there is real merit in your call re Dunne to middle and Hammell at fb, but with McHugh also protecting the back 4, although plastic pitch might be an issue for Stevie.

I must admit I swore when I heard Frear is injured never rains but it pours i guess it depends on type of injury whether he will be risked on that pitch.

Sid hasn't got it for me which probably means he will score a hat trick!!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Anyone advocating Kipre & Dunne in the middle of a back 4 clearly hasnt watched these two players much......Whilst McHugh had a shocker on Wed night he must play at the back if Hartleys not fit. If the injury situation remains as is I would go Griffiths, Tait, Kipre, McHugh & Dunne, Bigirimana, Campbell, Grimshaw & Frear, Tanner & Bowman in a 4-4-1-1. If Hartley is fit then McHugh into midfield and Grimshaw on the bench. Think another defeat beckons if Im honest......we just cant cope with no Carson, Hartley, Cadden or Moult, give us any 2 from the 4 and Id give us a good chance but......

Anyone advocating Kipre & Dunne in the middle of a back 4 clearly hasnt watched these two players much......Whilst McHugh had a shocker on Wed night he must play at the back if Hartleys not fit. If the injury situation remains as is I would go Griffiths, Tait, Kipre, McHugh & Dunne, Bigirimana, Campbell, Grimshaw & Frear, Tanner & Bowman in a 4-4-1-1. If Hartley is fit then McHugh into midfield and Grimshaw on the bench. Think another defeat beckons if Im honest......we just cant cope with no Carson, Hartley, Cadden or Moult, give us any 2 from the 4 and Id give us a good chance but......

Haha cheers Coutsy will consider myself reprimanded!

Btw have been to most games this year and while such a pairing is not without its issues and wouldnt remotely be my first choice, in the context of Hartley's absence and having McHugh lying deep and the experience of Hammell alongside it wouldnt be any worse than Wed first half. I think Dunne is OK defensively it is his passing that gives me the fear.

All about opinions mate and yours are every bit as valid as mine

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In light of the news about the injuries, Id play

Griffiths

Tait Kipre McHugh Hammell

Grimshaw Bigirimana Campbell Frear (or McLean)

Tanner

Bowman (or Fisher, neither inspire me)

That team surely should be good enough to score a goal and/or shitfest their way to a point?

Cant see past another defeat. Ill keep my powder dry until the final whistle before I go off on one!

In light of the news about the injuries, Id play

Griffiths

Tait Kipre McHugh Hammell

Grimshaw Bigirimana Campbell Frear (or McLean)

Tanner

Bowman (or Fisher, neither inspire me)

That team surely should be good enough to score a goal and/or shitfest their way to a point?

Cant see past another defeat. Ill keep my powder dry until the final whistle before I go off on one!

That would be my team, with Fisher ahead of Bowman.

On paper, Grimshaw, Campbell and Bigi bring a balance in midfield that weve rarely seen this season. Whatever the lineup, I hope we can go with a consistent team for a few weeks so that players know they have more than 45mins to prove themselves.

I did say I was playing devil's advocate. That said I've watched Kipre and Dunne a fair bit this season. I too think another defeat beckons as we'll struggle to compete and outfight, but not outplay, Killie. As for the left full/wing back position I'm undecided. Stephen Robinson will know better than me how things will pan out tomorrow. If I thought we'd have more possession and be better than Killie that I'd play Hammell 10 times out of 10 as he's far better on the ball than Dunne, whose distribution is questionable to say the least. He's also prone to making the odd defensive blunder. Hammell is also vastly more experienced at 35 years of age. If on the other hand I thought that Killie will have the upper hand then I'd play Dunne 10 times out of 10. He's bigger, quicker and more physical and therefore better in the air. He's also a better defender overall. Hammell has always had poor positional sense and was frequently caught out. He also made a few blunders ie at Firhill. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I suspect that tomorrow Killie will show more desire, be more solid, make fewer errors than us and work harder off the ball. Football wise they may not be any more talented. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

if 352 id go

griffiths

tait kipre dunne

grimshaw campbell mchugh rose frear (if fit)

tanner

bowman

Bigi to come on at 60 mins if we need a spark

if 442

griffiths

tait kipre mchugh hammell

grimshaw campbell rose frear

tanner bowman

Tough one to call tomorrow as killie doing better recently. Ad like to see bigi making an impact or getting a run but he doesnt seam to be as good defensively as the others. i wouldnt play mchugh as the centre of 3 at the back. Now its life without moult we need to see some others stepping up.