Stevie Hammell Hangs Up His Boots

gilmour

Always felt he should have been taking our penalties

You must have missed the midweek trip to Forfar.

As good as Hammell was, Ive been struggling to identify games and moments as key highlights specific to him. Maybe thats a reflection of his consistency over the years.

The one regret will always be starting the 2011 cup final in midfield, I wonder if him and McCall ever had words about it.

On Joe Wark, and having never seen him play, if he was so good, why didn't he get a cap for Scotland (I'm assuming because of competition for places at that time), but probably more surprisingly, why did he never get a move to a bigger club?

Different Scotland managers played McGrain and Jardine ahead of Joe even though both of them were right backs weren't they?

Can't remember if was McGrain or Jardine who always switched to left back for Scotland instead of selecting Joe.

On Joe Wark, and having never seen him play, if he was so good, why didn't he get a cap for Scotland (I'm assuming because of competition for places at that time), but probably more surprisingly, why did he never get a move to a bigger club?

I'd rate Joe Wark as our best left back since I began going to Fir Park. Joes' only weakness that I could see was his lack of pace. Why didn't he move clubs? I don't know the answer to that except perhaps that he played in a different era with more club loyalty and no Bosman moves. He never got capped purely because of Old Firm bias, which is why I stopped going to Scotland games. Don't forget too we had Baldy Shaw in the 40s and 50s. Now with Stevie Hammell we've had more than our fair share of loyal left backs.

• Like 5

I'd rate Joe Wark as our best left back since I began going to Fir Park. Joes' only weakness that I could see was his lack of pace. Why didn't he move clubs? I don't know the answer to that except perhaps that he played in a different era with more club loyalty and no Bosman moves. He never got capped purely because of Old Firm bias, which is why I stopped going to Scoltand games. Don't forget too we had Baldy Shaw in the 40s and 50s. Now with Stevie Hammell we've had more than our fair share of loyal left backs.

I agree Joe Wark was the best left back I can remember watching in a Motherwell strip he maybe wasnt the quickest but he timed his tackles so well not many got past him and the old firm bias was what put paid to any chance of a Scotland call up.

• Like 1

He never got capped purely because of Old Firm bias, which is why I stopped going to Scoltand games.

Exactly this. If you think OF bias is bad now (which it is), when Joe was at his peak, the bias was 10 times worse. If there was a Rangers or Celtic option for the national team, they were always going to be preferred. If there wasn't, then it was off to the English leagues to pick someone.

Not that guys like Sandy Jardine and Danny McGrain were bad players - but they were both right backs, and Joe was easily their equal at worst.

• Like 1

Willie Donachie is about the same age as Joe Wark and has 35 caps so he must have been at left back for a good chunk of the 70s.

McGrain played left back for the most of the first half of the 70s. Donachie came and went, but was the classic case of looking to England when McGrain wasn't available or fancied.

I agree Joe Wark was the best left back I can remember watching in a Motherwell strip he maybe wasnt the quickest but he timed his tackles so well not many got past him and the old firm bias was what put paid to any chance of a Scotland call up.

Also forgot to mention Ben Ellis who notched up about 280 games at left back for us. He could head a ball further than many could kick it. Long before our time.