League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

I'm off to the highlands for 10 months in August so the league cup and Ross county away will be my main games this season.

I'd quite like away trips to Queen of the South and Edinburgh city in the group stage.

Neil Doncaster has taken the view that the summer group stages of the league cup was a popular move. I liked it and preferred it to pre - season friendlies but got the feeling the response was rather mixed.

The league finishes a week earlier - I assume this is to fit in with the world cup.

• Like 1

Neil Doncaster has taken the view that the summer group stages of the league cup was a popular move. I liked it and preferred it to pre - season friendlies but got the feeling the response was rather mixed.

The league finishes a week earlier - I assume this is to fit in with the world cup.

In previous seasons, the league has simply started in the third week of July to accommodate this. I suppose with the league cup group stages, you would now basically have to push the season back to mid June so I imagine we will see more mid week games to compensate for this? Especially with two international breaks and the winter break.

Could be a tougher season for the players with regards to fatigue and injuries.

For me it was the same boring non event pish it was when they had league cup mini sections in the 70s. It will continue to die on its arse cos those running our game have zero imagination.

For me it was the same boring non event pish it was when they had league cup mini sections in the 70s. It will continue to die on its arse cos those running our game have zero imagination.

The beaks are damned if they do and if they don't. It needed shaken up, and was, and I quite enjoyed it. Won't be everyone's cup of tea however

• Like 2

As I said, I got the feeling the response was mixed.

I was very skeptical when the format was announced but did prefer it to pre - season friendlies. Out of interest, what do you think they could do as an alternative? I get the impression they would prefer to be rid of it altogether as there are too many games to fit comfortably into a season but have tried to shake things up.

As I said, I got the feeling the response was mixed.

I was very skeptical when the format was announced but did prefer it to pre - season friendlies.

Yes its fair to say reaction was mixed Dave. However I don't think that it did replace pre season friendlies as we still played 5 of those. All the revised format has done is to shorten the close season.

Personally I quite enjoyed the change to the new format. I do think with the regionalisation though it might have a limited lifespan before there will be calls for further change. Whilst Annan and Stranraer were indeed good away days first time around but if you start getting them every other year it won't be too long before playing the same teams in the group stages becomes a bit repetitive and loses its appeal. But yeah, last year wasn't bad.

Sad sack as I am I've been looking at how they might divvy up the north and south teams this year. They might have to continue with the loose interpretations of what's north and south. I suspect Stenny might be vulnerable, if you want to call it that, and will get bumped north to take St Johnstone's place.

Losing East Stirlingshire, Rangers and Stenny that'll give you the three spaces needed for Hearts and Hibs, who if you work on the basis that with Edinburgh City being in the south so too will they, and East Kilbride.

Either way we should still nudge in as one of the four top seeds alongside Hearts, Partick and Kilmarnock. You'll then be looking at one of Hamilton, HIbs, Morton or Queen of the South and then it's three of your choice please Carol.

Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Albion Rovers and East Kilbride anyone?

• Like 1

Out of interest, what do you think they could do as an alternative? I get the impression they would prefer to be rid of it altogether as there are too many games to fit comfortably into a season but have tried to shake things up.

I've lived through many incarnations of the League Cup from 2 legged affairs to the groups. The one I always preferred was the format of one game per tie, extra time/pens if necesary, final played before the New Year.

It addresses all the issues of too many games and makes games a worthwhile trip for away fans.

Personally I quite enjoyed the change to the new format. I do think with the regionalisation though it might have a limited lifespan before there will be calls for further change. Whilst Annan and Stranraer were indeed good away days first time around but if you start getting them every other year it won't be too long before playing the same teams in the group stages becomes a bit repetitive and loses its appeal. But yeah, last year wasn't bad.

Sad sack as I am I've been looking at how they might divvy up the north and south teams this year. They might have to continue with the loose interpretations of what's north and south. I suspect Stenny might be vulnerable, if you want to call it that, and will get bumped north to take St Johnstone's place.

Losing East Stirlingshire, Rangers and Stenny that'll give you the three spaces needed for Hearts and Hibs, who if you work on the basis that with Edinburgh City being in the south so too will they, and East Kilbride.

Either way we should still nudge in as one of the four top seeds alongside Hearts, Partick and Kilmarnock. You'll then be looking at one of Hamilton, HIbs, Morton or Queen of the South and then it's three of your choice please Carol.

Motherwell, Hamilton, Airdrie, Albion Rovers and East Kilbride anyone?

Wouldnt Ross Cunty be a top seed?

Wouldnt Ross Cunty be a top seed?

I think they would but they'd be in the North section. I'm guessing you'd be looking at Ross County, Dundee, Inverness and Falkirk as your four seeds in that part of the country.

Falkirk being in the northern part of the draw (which at first thought seems odd to me) along with Dumbarton is what makes me think Stenny are the team that will be bumped north but you never know.

Ross County, ICT, Dundee, Hearts for North, Partick, Kilmarnock, us and Hamilton for South?

Presumably Hearts and Hibs will be in the same geographical area? Lets hope they're both in the North area as we don't want to be drawn in the same group as Hibs.